• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l mods

FoMoCoSVT

New CEG'er
so what mods fit the 3l, i have a 3l from a 03 escape with the svt heads, (yay high compression) i am comming off of having a 87 grand national, so i need more power (i was adacted to what the gn got me on, the dang thing killed my dads 09 srt-8) so what mods fit a 3l? its stock minus the head and a "borla exauset" i think it is just the mufflers and stock piping, anyhoo, what headers will fit? what intake? what are options for a Ecu/Pcm, i need helps. thanks!!!!!!

Brand new and you haven't found the search button yet?

If you didn't have the 2.5 heads, you could turbo it. That would bring it into the leage with your GN. Some of those guys are running well over 400 WHP. There have been rumors of 500 WHP, but I haven't seen a dyno run.

MSDS is the only header supplier.

Modifying the throttle body helps. Some have optimized it. Some have modified a 65 mm throttle body from a Mustang 4.6 to fit. There is a recent thread from a guy in Poland who has probably done the neatest job of it.

Some have extrude honed the SVT upper intake manifold to give it even more capacity and flow. The SVT upper intake is already extrude honed, but another pass is helpful.

Unless you have installed 3.0 valves in those SVT heads, there is quite a large bottleneck there.

And of course, it will help immensely if you get a tune to optimize the 3.0 conversion.

If you haven't done it yet, you will probably need to strengthen the diff. Most install a Torsen or Quaffe (or however it is spelled). The stock diff is like glass and easy to break.

And I suggest you spend some time with the SEARCH button before the search natzis get all over you. They aren't as nice as me.

quaife (is how the differential is spelled)

your biggest improvements are going to be headers and a Y pipe, removing the main cat (if a non-emissions state) and working with the intake system a litle bit. you can get a tune with a SCT xcal unit (xcal 3 is the current)

a basic bolt ons 3L should be putting down 200-240 hp at the wheels. there are some nice hybrids around here, i'd say starjammir has that covered. maybe you could look him up for some ideas :)

Actually there's headers you can get off eBay that Dom has that are like half the price of msds and are more easy to put in an leaves more room in the bay according to Dom

thanks, yah i searched for some mods but didn't find a commetted thred, thanks for the ideas

asfor the headers, since its a 3l escape motor, i need the 3l headers by msds? also do 2.5 intakes fit?

Actually there's headers you can get off eBay that Dom has that are like half the price of msds and are more easy to put in an leaves more room in the bay according to Dom

No...they aren't around anymore. And if you find them on ebay..it's because they are already bought items being resold. More room??? wtf they are MSDS knock offs that were eventually sued by MSDS for copying the header design verbatim.

And they are weapon R headers.

MSDS is the only header supplier.
Nautilus Performance has their own set of headers. Nautilus actually made a better set by introducing a true length SS headers.

Some have modified a 65 mm throttle body from a Mustang 4.6 to fit. There is a recent thread from a guy in Poland who has probably done the neatest job of it.
The guy from poland actually has you tear apart your current throttle body to make the 65mm work on the car.

My 65mm how-to actually only uses the 65mm. So you don't have to tear apart your stock throttle body to make it work.

No...they aren't around anymore. And if you find them on ebay..it's because they are already bought items being resold. More room??? wtf they are MSDS knock offs that were eventually sued by MSDS for copying the header design verbatim.

And they are weapon R headers.

wrong harry. the headers that dom got from FCO are some japanese knock offs made for the mazda 6. the Y pipe doesnt work on our cars.

and from what i heard from multiple people, the weapon R deal was kinda BS anyways. msds never had any sort of patent on the design, so it was fair game to make the same style.

anyways, there are three different brands being named here, lol. i wouldnt suggest anyone gets the headers that dom got unless you are prepared to make some big adjustments. there's no guarantee that a different brand's Y pipe would fit with those headers.

Ummm im not refurring to the weapon R, But since you think dom is a liar about there being more room to work with the ebay headers hes got ill refur you to the link
http://www.fordcontour.org/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=1&showentry=404
And BTW these are made for mazada 6 so if you look on ebay you can look under those cars also

No kidding.... I don't visit that site too often.
Thats very interesting. But i would rather spend 200 on msds headers and not deal with that headache :blackeye:
Glad someone tackled this and covered the pros and cons.

Nautilus Performance has their own set of headers. Nautilus actually made a better set by introducing a true length SS headers.

The guy from poland actually has you tear apart your current throttle body to make the 65mm work on the car.

My 65mm how-to actually only uses the 65mm. So you don't have to tear apart your stock throttle body to make it work.

In my mind, his end result is better. If someone has access to a mill I believe this is the way to go. If they don't have access to a mill, your method is still viable. After all, it works for you doesn't it?

Back