• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone with a Spec Stage 3+ Clutch?

Clutch chatter is more dependent on how clean you kept the disc and flywheel facing.

A stock SVT clutch is great for every day driving. It dies fast if you slip the clutch from moderate of above rpm. Dies REALLY FAST! Mine was toast at 30k miles. I can't believe it still worked!!!

A SPEC Stage 1/1+ is great for any non-FI car including NOS cars. Beats OEM holding and heat rating. OEM feel and engagement.

Stage 2 is kevlar. "Technically a hair more holding power then a 1. Good look proving it honestly. It is kevlar so it does not like cold weather, water, or any foreign substances.

Stage 3 is the choice for an FI car. Some forgiveness in engagement. Massive holding power when engaged.

SPEC's pressure plate has much stronger fingers and is known to make an audible clicking sound. It is louder if you have a lightened flywheel.

Mine doesn't seem to do it all the time. Only on really slow starts. We'll see what happens once I get through the break in period. :shrug:

My car occasionally does that when it is cold - I've got about 10K on my new clutch and flywheel. After the car is warm the sound goes away about 90% of the time.

The + just means it has a lightened pressure plate.

The stage 3 has two options. It comes with a sprung hub (has springs) or a fixed/solid hub (i.e. all or nothing engagement)

Ok seriously you info is just lackin lately, lol. 3+ means a full face disc, standard stage three is a 6 puck. Both are sprng hub. Dont think they offer a non sprung hub for Contour. Full face disc provides smoother engagement, plus is also rated to hold more tourqe than standard 3. Stage three + and stock flywheel for High power applications is the ONLY choice reasonable(at this time) for street cars, "nuff said" :laugh:

Ok seriously you info is just lackin lately, lol. 3+ means a full face disc, standard stage three is a 6 puck. Both are sprng hub. Dont think they offer a non sprung hub for Contour. Full face disc provides smoother engagement, plus is also rated to hold more tourqe than standard 3. Stage three + and stock flywheel for High power applications is the ONLY choice reasonable(at this time) for street cars, "nuff said" :laugh:

That's how I understood it. I have the Spec 3+ with the lightened option.

DSC04974.jpg

DSC04975.jpg

The one on the right is for a Mustang, I was just comparing the size difference.
DSC04978.jpg

Any idea how much lighter it is? I assume its lightened in the clutch plate some how, material maybe?

Any idea how much lighter it is? I assume its lightened in the clutch plate some how, material maybe?

I was told from Spec that the lightened version is 15% lighter and the standard performance steel pressure ring is much thicker than the lighter version. I asked them because the Part number is the exact same for either version. :shrug:

Back