• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Some pics of my new motor

Pudmunkie

Hard-core CEG'er
Its been a while since I posted pictures of anything:

Putting in a new 3 liter as the old one ate up 6 of 6 bearings....

Full 3 liter, 04 taurus intake for the time being, eventually stepping in to an escape intake manifold. Silver vein valve covers, pretty standard stuff :shrug:

DSC02021.jpg

DSC02022.jpg

still need to put the PCV valve back in
DSC02023.jpg

Flash to help show the valve covers
DSC02030.jpg

I also had a local hillbilly powder coat the valves and as much as I emphasized cleaning them up well before coating, and ensuring the insides were nice.... They came back very nasty. On Barges suggestion, Soda blasting. Best part is that it dissolves in water!:

Before; Grainy, dirty, coarse:
DSC02008.jpg

DSC02010.jpg

After; Smooooth, clean: These were not finished either, they cleaned up further.
(notice the tape spot to show how 'gentle' this stuff can be)
DSC02013.jpg

DSC02015.jpg

It's messy though, so its nice to have a spare shop-type bathroom.
DSC02017.jpg

And don't be jelous of that sweet shower curtain... that came free with the pad!

why did the old one eat the bearings?

:censored::censored::censored::censored:ty motor from canada. I pulled the stock bearings and thought it might have just been some low oil pressure, figured the clevites would be good to go, looks more like the crank was :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up.

Clean looking motor, damn there's alot of 3L action this year.

Yeah, I decided to do a full swap this time around. I ran the split port svt cammed 3 liter last year (the one that ate up those clevites) I hope I enjoy this one more than the last.

Dont sing it....BRING IT:laugh::cool:

Oh I will :laugh: Maybe, if I ever get around to it. I've been craving a couple different varieties of toys latley, bagged SUV or a duratec powered Caterham reproduction.

I just pooped because that looks so nice. Good job and congrats un fuggin up your bathroom/shop area :) - love it

When you get that thing in be careful with your hood. I've had some clearance issues w/ the oil cap & those valve covers, not really issues but its touching i think, doesn't seem to bother anything but I wouldn't slam a hood on it. Those valve covers are dead secksy!

Back