• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

tuning?s

It is entirely possible to get a high quality mail order tune. If your car is functioning properly, has a wideband installed, and is just in need of tuning....you can certainly have a tune done via e-mail. Two things are critical, clean datalogs and an experienced tuner. With those things, you can have virtually as much success as you would on a dyno. Virtually everything you could feel/see in person will show up in the datalogs in some way. A/F changes, tming changes, load, etc.

I believe the common issue had around here with mail order tunes is underlying issues that prevent the tuning process from working. IE faulty O2s, Vac leaks, ignition issues, etc. Those things make the datalogs the tuner is using unreliable.

To put it another way, I have never heard of someone tuning a relatively new, stock vehicle via e-mail and having issues. It's almost always somebody with a hand-me-down 3L swap, hackjob, or million mile car that runs poorly and things a tune will be a cure-all.

Well said

Might I add, my car received a bad tune from Joey. The car had 72k miles, 19k mile full 3L, brand new everything including magnecore wires, motorcraft plugs, o2 sensors, injectors, gaskets, etc. I think what happened is the first tune that got the car running decent was fine, then an ST220 uim and 65mm TB was added as well as an air/fuel gauge, then Joey sent a new tune that was dropping spark below 4k rpm for some still unknown reason.

o ya i was also wondering i have the IMRC modded with the spring to fool the computer for the secondaries. do i leave that or should i undo that b4 i take it in for the tune

I was Referred to Pops Racing in NY, he has Experience with the Svt Contours and I called him and Spoke to him too, really kool guy, travels everywhere to tune and If I go that route he will Come to NC to tune My car as he travels all over frequently...It could be he Come to IL and you could Coordinate with him. Just a Thought

Adam @ pops racing is a good friend of mine and has done all of my tuning work. I've done some beta testing for the new software package he and a few others have been working on it he's a very smart guy and knows his fords inside and out. He's tuned almost all of the vehicles I've owned now as well as a few local CEG'ers cars now. He's done tunes for me on everything from my 99 Mystique with a 2.5L/auto to my SVT when it was stock, again with headers and all the bolt-ons, the Full 3L in the car now, a good friend's 3L hybrid and he will be doing the tune for the Cougar with the 2.5L/Vortech. He's very picky and won't stop until the car runs perfect (throttle response, AFR curve, driveability, etc). He does get very busy especially in the spring so it may take him a couple days to get back to you but he does great work and knows these cars well.

With that said, you need to make sure the car is 100% before taking it to the tuner. If the car has issues and you go to take it tuned the tune will be worthless and you will need to have it retuned. Make sure it is good to the best of your ability and that everything is set up the way you want it and you should be all set. With regards to the IMRC, you will have it removed in the tune so you can just unhook it.

well i was supposed to go today & have the tune done but they forgot & are booked:mad: so now i have to wait til the 2nd. this sux it keeps getting pushed back. i dont know if its something telling me not to get it done or what. but its been 3 times now that ive tried getting it done & something keeps coming up. if this keeps up im not going to have the $ to get it done. ill end up blowing it on other things. :crazy:

i was just wondering how important it is to get a tune done. i know some have it & some dont. i reallly want to get it done but the way this keeps getting pushed back im afraid somethings going to come up & not get it done

i was reading in another post here about the EGR delete. is that something worth doing before i take it to get the tune or should i just leave it. & what exactly is removing it doing. besides cleaning up the engine bay.

I don't think it does much other than clean up the bay. I believe running without it will just cause a little higher cylinder temp are cruising speed.

well than if thats the case im not going to bother. il keep my temps down & im not to worried about how it looks under the hood to much. its not a show piece in there anyway. plus if its something i dont know much about i dont want to start messing with it. knowing my luck i would end up disconecting something else or messin sumthin up

Adam will hopefully be dong my tune too, if i ever get through to him!
He tuned my 96se when i installed the svt motor w/headers years ago, it was a night and day difference even compared to my friends svtc at the time.

o ya i was also wondering i have the IMRC modded with the spring to fool the computer for the secondaries. do i leave that or should i undo that b4 i take it in for the tune
So if i'm getting u right, u dont have a functional IMRC and SVT LIM? As in the pcm thinks they're there but arent? I could be wrong, but theoretically there could be a problem. At w.o.t, theres more fuel delivered by the injectors. If u have no physical secondaries, power and fuel will be left on the table so to speak. U have two options. 1)Get the secondaries tuned out or 2)Reinstall ur secondaries and get them tuned in.

basically you attach a spring to the end of the imrc cable and secure it to someplace, like the body for example. it works just like it would with the lim being there, it gives resistance to the imrc cable so when the imrc motor releases the cable it is pullled back out making the imrc think the secondaries closed. i did it once years ago, it elminates a cel for not having the imrc but there is still a timing and fuel issue.

He has a full 3L meaning oval port intakes not the split port with secondaries. He should remove the IMRC and have them tuned out. Like troll said, the spring is a band-aid fix to keep the car driveable without a CEL until you get it tuned. It's not really a good way to do it but so long as it's temporary it's ok.

yes i know the spring is a temp fix for the imrc. i was gong to have that tuned out ,i was just wondering if should disconnect the spring b4 i get the tune.or if its still connected will it not matter while they do the tune

ok so i can disconnect the spring, & when i disconnect the plug to it what do i do with that. & can i take out the IMRC box completly

Tuck it (the connector/wiring) out of the way or remove it and the wiring for it. Once tuned you will no longer need the IMRC hooked up. For tuning you should have it unhooked and removed as well.

Back