• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

St220 intake Manifold installation

Valve cover color doesn't have :censored: to do with a st220 intake manifold installation. STFU!
Umm dumb azz we're talking about a spacer for the "st220" intake to clear the valve cover. So obviously the valve cover for the 04+ is hindering the st intake from going on. So please take your own advice and STFU and stop playing follow the leader, cause obviously you aint got a clue as to wtf is going on. You understand now? Oh i know people want to over complicate things and think it has to be made from scratch lol

Umm dumb azz we're talking about a spacer for the "st220" intake to clear the valve cover. So obviously the valve cover for the 04+ is hindering the st intake from going on. So please take your own advice and STFU and stop playing follow the leader, cause obviously you aint got a clue as to wtf is going on. You understand now? Oh i know people want to over complicate things and think it has to be made from scratch lol

oh that makes sense, so the color of the valve covers is what makes the spacer required! See at first I was thinking the same thing as Beans, that your post was off topic and useless, but now I realize it was on topic, so if he kept them plain the st220 would fit without a spacer? what about if they were black? does powder coat have a different effect than paint? please enlighten us.

oh that makes sense, so the color of the valve covers is what makes the spacer required! See at first I was thinking the same thing as Beans, that your post was off topic and useless, but now I realize it was on topic, so if he kept them plain the st220 would fit without a spacer? what about if they were black? does powder coat have a different effect than paint? please enlighten us.
wow..... read thread description "St220 intake Manifold installation" they was talking about needing a spacer for the st upper intake to fit the 04+ valve covers. Hence my reply

Ok, since you obviously are missing the boat here, let me spell it out for you.

This:

not ur work but the color and combo of those valve covers are hideous

has absolutely no added value to the question of how to install a st220 intake with 04 valve covers.

Ok, back on topic. If you use the original 2.5L cam covers, there is no need for the spacers. You have to cut off a decent bit of the mounting bosses for the stock coilpack mounting on the rear cover, but it all fits without spacers. The downside is you don't get the better PCV setup from the later covers.

Ok, since you obviously are missing the boat here, let me spell it out for you.

This:

has absolutely no added value to the question of how to install a st220 intake with 04 valve covers.
My bad. I thought the quote was from the last reply i made lol. Oh well. Yes i would def use the later instead of the svt crap covers

My bad. I thought the quote was from the last reply i made lol. Oh well. Yes i would def use the later instead of the svt crap covers

all that mess....for nothing. I told you not to get your panties in a bunch :laugh:

OK, back on topic, whose making those 1/2" phenolic spacers?
-J

Well I will be making spacers out of steel for sure, possibly aluminum T6061. All depends what the R&D shop manager says about it when I get back to work tomorrow.

If it's cheaper, phenolic material will keep your UIM better isolated from heat.
Trust me, turbos build some big underhood heat ;)
Have we determined how much of a spacer we need to use the newer VCs and not have hood clearance issues?
-J

If it's cheaper, phenolic material will keep your UIM better isolated from heat.
Trust me, turbos build some big underhood heat ;)
Have we determined how much of a spacer we need to use the newer VCs and not have hood clearance issues?
-J

Phenolic material is crazy expensive from what I found... plus I wouldn't be able to cut it using the burn table at my work. I'd have to rely on someone else with access to a good CNC machine to do that work...

as for the underhood heat... that is why I am adding vents to my hood.

Our machine is only a High Def CNC Plasma cutter, so no real CNC routing machine here.

Our machine is only a High Def CNC Plasma cutter, so no real CNC routing machine here.

Joe that sounds like what we have in our R&D shop as well.

I know a guy that could probably cut them out of phenolic material. I am not sure if he can do 1/2" tk but it might be a good option. He might be able to cut the mounting holes since it's so much easier to work with.

So could you talk to this guy and find out if he can help us out?

Interesting on the cost, phenolic spacers for 5.0s are only $40-50, got a spare one sitting downstairs next to the ST220, definitely not going to fit :)
-J

CSVT#49 mind if i ask what kind of work you do? My dad used to work for cressona aluminum and had access to all kind of bad ass CNC machines. I REALLY wish he worked there still now that im older and into working on cars and fabing stuff

I know a couple different people I will print out the drawing I have and talk to them.

Joe: What did you have to do exactly to modify to fit? I had test fitted it on the 04 taurus lim to get us started. I am wondering if it is slightly different than the st220 or it a incorrect export messed things up a little bit, it happens alot when switching between programs.

I also might be able to cut it myself but I am not sure yet.

The taurus LIM ports are bigger than the ST220 so I had to downsize them to match the new application. I mic'd the ports of Bretts ST manifold while it was here for powder coating and printed test sheets and put them up to the manifold ports to check. Then I blasted out the 1/2" ones and flattened them because they warped from the plasma heat.

plastic LIM will deflect most heat. plastic valve covers are the same shape as the SVTs and have COP bosses. COP convert, no need to worry about the coilpack relocation, no worrys with UIM clearance. you gotta run the old PCV system. suck it up. split port guys do..... lol.

Back