• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

siezed svt 2.5L

dude that was fast! did you use the plates? I just got mine. I still need a motor. I've been slacking. i'm gonna wait till next month cause i've got a busy schedule. did you install the SVT stuff or just the intake?
I already had the ported heads from the blown motor so I used those. They were welded so I didn't need to use the plates. We used the svt cams and timing bits etc. Looks completely stock and runs like a top.
Let me know when you get started. I'll be in Alaska most of February but if you're doing it while I'm around I'd be happy to stop in for a bit.

I already had the ported heads from the blown motor so I used those. They were welded so I didn't need to use the plates. We used the svt cams and timing bits etc. Looks completely stock and runs like a top.
Let me know when you get started. I'll be in Alaska most of February but if you're doing it while I'm around I'd be happy to stop in for a bit.

how hard was it to install the cams? if its easy I'm thinking of doing it.

how hard was it to install the cams? if its easy I'm thinking of doing it.
Its not hard. Make sure when you take the cams off you keep all the journals in the right order and orientation. We used egg cartons to put them in so they didn't get mixed up. The journals are matched to the cams, so if you use the svt cams you need to use the journals from the svt as well.
You also need to make sure that the timing chains are marked so that you can put them back on correctly. You don't want to find out what happens if you get the timing wrong! :) Just take your time and make sure you don't mix timing components. And make sure you put the pulse wheel on correctly, there's plenty of discussion of that problem around the place.

Its not hard. Make sure when you take the cams off you keep all the journals in the right order and orientation. We used egg cartons to put them in so they didn't get mixed up. The journals are matched to the cams, so if you use the svt cams you need to use the journals from the svt as well. You also need to make sure that the timing chains are marked so that you can put them back on correctly. You don't want to find out what happens if you get the timing wrong! :) Just take your time and make sure you don't mix timing components. And make sure you put the pulse wheel on correctly, there's plenty of discussion of that problem around the place.

I'm assuming you mean the caps when you said journals. If you are then you should keep the caps with the heads as they are line bored and are matched to the heads and not the cams.

I'm assuming you mean the caps when you said journals. If you are then you should keep the caps with the heads as they are line bored and are matched to the heads and not the cams.

x2. cam caps must be kept with the heads they came from and must be kept in the same order and orientation.

yea I was thinking I should just do that since the PCM is tuned to the SVT gear vs. spending money to tune a 3L with the SVT intake and 3L cams.

x2. cam caps must be kept with the heads they came from and must be kept in the same order and orientation.
Sorry about that. I had a little brain fart there, of course they go with the heads. I have to confess that I thought they were called journals though because the haynes manual give the torque spec for the cam journals. I'm not an expert by any means.

Sorry about that. I had a little brain fart there, of course they go with the heads. I have to confess that I thought they were called journals though because the haynes manual give the torque spec for the cam journals. I'm not an expert by any means.

no worries you guys have been awsome! just gotta locate a motor for a decent price.

Well, it turns out I will be doing my own 3l swap next month. I just snatched up svtracer214's car with a blown 3l in it. Fortunately for me the heads are still good so I don't need to do the porting, just swap the heads onto a shortblock and away I go. At least thats the plan. Stay in touch GT2SVT.

Wait, so you have two SVTs and you are salvaging the heads off one to fix the other?

Wait, so you have two SVTs and you are salvaging the heads off one to fix the other?
No, I have two svt's, one that had a blown 3l in it, so I put the old 3l heads on a new 3l engine to save porting another set. The other still has a stock 2.5 in it, but I am going to sell that one. I will be cleaning it up and taking some pics this weekend.

whats with the Knock sensor? I've read some were about the 2.5 knock sensor not fitting in on the 3l is that true? or does it depend on the year of the 3l?

whats with the Knock sensor? I've read some were about the 2.5 knock sensor not fitting in on the 3l is that true? or does it depend on the year of the 3l?

The knock sensor is located on the firewall side near the transmission end. On some 3L blocks it is there but a different style with a thinner bolt mounting it to the block. You can either splice in the newer style connector or retap the block to accept the larger bolt for the older style sensor.

ok guys I might of messed up here. I'm picking up a 00 3L from LKQ, got a fairly good deal on it too ($450 which I think is good for living in california) most junk yards here want 600 for a engine that they don't know the year/milage. anyway now that i finally got a motor I've thought I've read everything except for one crucial part.....I hear the 00 motors use electric waterpumps!!!! is this true and what should I do now. were do i get the parts? or am I better off just trying to exchange the motor? this sux

ok guys I might of messed up here. I'm picking up a 00 3L from LKQ, got a fairly good deal on it too ($450 which I think is good for living in california) most junk yards here want 600 for a engine that they don't know the year/milage. anyway now that i finally got a motor I've thought I've read everything except for one crucial part.....I hear the 00 motors use electric waterpumps!!!! is this true and what should I do now. were do i get the parts? or am I better off just trying to exchange the motor? this sux

I believe you can get an electric waterpump to do the swap from bat
http://www.batinc.net/main.htm

otherwise you can do a hybrid swap and put your 2.5L heads on or find some latter 3L heads to install... that will fix your problem as they will have the head mounted waterpump.

I believe you can get an electric waterpump to do the swap from bat
http://www.batinc.net/main.htm

otherwise you can do a hybrid swap and put your 2.5L heads on or find some latter 3L heads to install... that will fix your problem as they will have the head mounted waterpump.

thanks for the link! man that water pump is expensive. I talked to the sales agent at LKQ and he said he would swap it out for a newer engine if I wanted too. which I'm gonna do. $400 bucks is too much money. or is it possible to get the right parts from the junkyard? I would do the head swap too but i'm afraid I won't pass smog due to the higher compression ratio and getting new head bolts and gaskets.

Just try to return the motor you have. You will be happy in the long run just getting the correct setup.

Just try to return the motor you have. You will be happy in the long run just getting the correct setup.

I just got off the phone with the sales agent and he got me 01 with 38,000mi. of course I'm gonna get $125 for it but its still way cheaper than a $400 water pump. kinda bummed too cause this sets my project back a few days and this 00 engine I have is clean.
thanks guys!

Back