• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

siezed svt 2.5L

GT2SVT

CEG'er
ok I siezed the engine. I hit a median and destroyed the oil pan. thinking about the 3L. but i keep getting conflicting info about what is needed for this. if i can get a 3L from a 99+ taurus/sable/escape. I need to know what is needed. I've read that all the 2.5L parts are suppose to bolt right on. but then i've also read that the intake of the 3L is too big to fit under the hood. what with all this cutting of the block and shaving this and that down.the fuel rail is backwards. I'm begining to think that i don't wanna do this kind of a swap and get in over my head with suprises. im not really interested the hybrid or port matching. I just want my car on the road again, and i'll be fine with the full 3L. also i live in california so what if I decided to do a Hybrid? will I pass smog? I've noticed everyone here is from the midwest/east coast so smogging your car may not be an issue to you guys.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your fight with the median. :shocked: You will have to decided which route you want to go. You can go with a 3.0L taurus/sable engine or an escape engine. Escape engines are easier, but twice the price (supply & demand). Go to this site ... car-parts.com (best site).

I would recommend a taurus/sable 3.0L from 2001 - 05. Make sure it is the Vin S, which is the DOHC engine you NEED. If you can find one, the 04 - 05's have better cams in them. I guess it depends on if you plan on using the 2.5 svt cams or the 3.0L cams.

I would suggest you do the port matched 3.0L. I think it's easier, especially if you don't have a lot of experience. Buy 3 of the plates from BUGZUKI (CEG member) and get yourself a nice carbide drill bit. You screw down the Bugzuki plate and grind out the port to match the plate. Not to difficult and you'll pick it up quickly.

From that point, you use the parts from your 2.5L and start swaping them over. You won't need to modify the fuel rail, egr or anything else. I also think that this comes out to be cheaper (???).

As long as your going to do it get the new DMD (harmonic balancer) and put it on the new engine when your swapping parts.

Decided on which cams and timing setup you want to use. I decided to use the 3.0L cams because I consider myself a novice at this kind of stuff. If you do consider using them, I would definately say get an 04 - 05'.

Do a lot of reading, then ask any questions you may have. Everybody here has different skill level but are all very helpful. :laugh:

so actually putting the SVT stuff H/C/I (heads,cams,intake) it would be cheaper. is the 3L fuel lines different? i'm just worried if im gonna pass smog in california. I just want the cheapest and easiest install. but then again don't we all. so i'm thinking that I'm just gonna keep the 3L heads. I don't wanna get into getting new head bolts/gaskets plus not to mention having a good seal between the new/used engine to my heads. I'll probably just use the intake or do i have to use the heads too? also what this i've read that the crankshaft is gonna have to be grinded down to make room for the MTX input shaft.

Actually if you port match with the plates and use the 3L cams all you have to swap over from your old engine is the front engine cover and the valve covers. There are a few places on the new block that need to get cut off but that's really not that bad. It is def. the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to go.

ok cool, does anybody have a diagram of what pieces of the engine i need to grind off? and about the crankshaft is that true? i'm sorta getting excited about this project now and I've really appreciated all the quick responses.

You definitely want to do the port matched option for Cali. Its still not legal to put a 3l in our cars, but you should pass the smog visual which is the only time this should really be a problem.
I'm in SD and would be interested in coming by/helping out if I'm around. I haven't done a swap before but I've done a lot of reading about it and have a reasonable idea of whats involved.

I'm still deciding if I should even keep the car or go ahead with the conversion. I would like to keep the car. I've always thought that in california we could put newer engines in our cars. SVTC1136 i'll definetly keep you in mind if i do the 3L.

if you are concerned about meeting california smog inspections do the ported 3L it is easy and when your done it will look stock no clues to tell the inspectors that it isn't stock. the little things that have to be cut off are monir and take no time at all the porting will take awhile but isn't hard if you have the righ tool and take your time.... I wouldn't go full as that will not look stock..... and you will have to modify some emissions equipment which I doubt they will like....

good luck and trust me it is worth it.

Yes, if you go with the ported 3L you can use everything off of the original 2.5L. All of the emissions equipment will be stock Contour equipment.

About the crankshaft. There is a bushing in it (like a pilot bearing) that needs to be taken out or cut off (ground down). This bushing sticks out and interferes with the clutch plate.

sweet! that was some good info, I've noticed that everyone had different opinions on the removal of that bushing in the rear. My greatest fear is chopping to much off and destroying the new/used engine, which i still have to find.

The two est ways i find are using a thin grinding wheel blade or a metal blade in a sawzall. Just cut it off as flush as possible. It's not to critical just so it doesn't hit the input shaft of the MTX.

The two est ways i find are using a thin grinding wheel blade or a metal blade in a sawzall. Just cut it off as flush as possible. It's not to critical just so it doesn't hit the input shaft of the MTX.
ok cool i'll keep that in mind. so right now my plan is
ported 3L to accept the svt intake
cut off/remove the bushing for the MTX shaft.
keep the taurus oil pan/pickup tube
grind off some material for the alternator
make sure the timing is set for the 2.5L
oh and from what i gather is the upper engine mount doesn't simply bolt in. I guess thats gonna require some grinding too, i don't know why I didn't think the 3L was that much different from a 2.5L

The 3L's don't use the upper mount on the front of the block. So in order to put one on with out pulling one of the heads off it mount must be ground down so it can slip between the two heads. Check back with us at AirCougar as we will probably be offering preground motor mounts to fit properly.

The 3L's don't use the upper mount on the front of the block. So in order to put one on with out pulling one of the heads off it mount must be ground down so it can slip between the two heads. Check back with us at AirCougar as we will probably be offering preground motor mounts to fit properly.

and the mount can be powdercoated also ;)

now the taurus/sable motors don't use the same engine mount as our cars. So as stated it needs to be ground down to side it between the heads otherwise you have to pull one of them.

now its my understanding that the escape uses the same mount. but the escape engine cost more so more often then not people end up with a taurus/sable engine.

ok gotcha guys I understand now, thanks. I'm just not liking all this grinding and shaving of parts. I still have to get the engine. i'll check with aircougar. oh i should get the bugzuki plates as well. when i get this car running again it better pass california smog.

As long as you keep the secondaries and all of the o2 sensors. There should be no reason for it not to pass. The car should run good with no CEL. The only real difference is Bore and Stroke. I don't think they check for that:shrug:.

As long as you keep the secondaries and all of the o2 sensors. There should be no reason for it not to pass. The car should run good with no CEL. The only real difference is Bore and Stroke. I don't think they check for that:shrug:.

the key is in the tune if you get a tune. all the systems must be left on and all must be working. I pasted CT emissions with a 3L and turbo. for emissions it might be as strick as Cali ... although they don't check for carb certs etc.

Back