• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RP max ATF

MystiqueOwner

CEG'er
How are peoples feelings and experiences running max ATF in the CD4E? And is it fully sythetic? I currently have been running it for 2 months with no issue.

Cheap is good

Cheap is good

Don't know, but when I rebuilt mine, I put in the cheap mercon substitute. Running great after 40k miles. Don't understand the need to put in expensive oils.

Well the CD4E is a piece of crap to be honest and I put in the synthetic rp to be able to handle its inherent overheating problems, well that and a B&M cooler..

The type of oil won't help, the cooler will though. Transmission fluid just needs to be red to work, hell the hydrolic oil sold at tractor places works fine in an automatic.

Synthetic fluid resists breakdown a lot better then conventional ATF. My question was aimed more at peoples experiences using RP ATF.. not people not using it.

overheating? Old information and inaccurate for conturds

overheating? Old information and inaccurate for conturds

Yes on very early versions of this trans in mazdas had an overheating problem. But the ones in the conturds do NOT. They fixed it by installing an adequately sized one from the factory. I don't have one and have towed my murdersycle from idaho to Mexico at 80 mph over mountains and through deserts with not a problem.

Last spring in my 99 Mystique while driving through mild traffic I overheated the transaxle, which prompted me to take preventive measures.

How did you know

How did you know

So how did you know if you overheated the transaxle?

The RP won't help, just wasting money putting it in. Fix the problem inside the trans then find the cheapest red fluid you can find. To be blunt, you can't fix an automatic transmission with different fluid.

The RP stuff actually slowed down my 1100 HP race car ( yes, with an automatic transmission ). Currently I use type F Lucas Oil and it seems to give the best results at less than half the cost of RP. I would venture a guess that my race car is harder on transmissions than you car...

The probe information is for PROBES

The probe information is for PROBES

Ford had fixed all of the issues listed in that site on the conturd transmissions. I too looked at that site when I had problems and found them to be PROBE specific. Certainly the CD4E on the conturd has its issues but overpressure and overheating are not among them.

Fluid spewing out of the trans indicates some serious issues with the trans. The few things I can think of is that the clutches were slipping and overheated the oil or you had a blocked oil cooler. I suspect that soon you will find that your fluid will become brown and smell burnt.

But if you did fix your problems with an oil change, consider yourself extremely lucky.

The RP stuff actually slowed down my 1100 HP race car ( yes, with an automatic transmission ). Currently I use type F Lucas Oil and it seems to give the best results at less than half the cost of RP. I would venture a guess that my race car is harder on transmissions than you car...

once again, comparing your race car to a contour seems a little silly.

So what did the infrared show you as temp?? Put it out there. I drive a Contour ATX in 105-110 degree heat all day long in Texas for many years and overheating trans not in my vocabulary unless possibly towing.

An apples to oranges comment....

An apples to oranges comment....

If the RP fluid is more resistant to heat, and heat concerns you, by all means go for it.

I drive ford explorer's most of the time, and on the A4LD trans synthetic fluid does seem to benefit somewhat. (apples to oranges I know)
It does seem that running all synthetic fluids (engine, trans, differential) helps gas mileage as well...

Can we stay on topic? My old trans issues aren't a concern on this thread. @ Captain Caveman, yes like I said I've been running RP atf and its been doing good by me so far. What brand are you running in your Explorer?

You're goofy. You asked for other people's feelings and experience, then you think they are 'off topic' when they respond with them.

If you want only the responses that tell you how good you did by buying that product you should go to the RP website, it is full of all the BS you could ever want.

I asked for peoples feelings on the use of Royal Purple ATF in there CD4E. Not about my overheating issues I had years ago.. I'm not here to pat myself on the back for using Royal Purple or support it. I've had good experiences with it so far. Lastly why is royal purple BS? I mean your just saying oh its crap without saying why.

Can we stay on topic? My old trans issues aren't a concern on this thread. @ Captain Caveman, yes like I said I've been running RP atf and its been doing good by me so far. What brand are you running in your Explorer?

I get whatever is on sale and keep it until I need it. lol

Seriously, fluid and oil makers have to meet a specification to be able to certify it as whatever grade or type the fluids or oils are. Aside from super-cheapo brands, most brands are just fine. Also, many oil makers produce more than one brand with little to no changes in the formula for a product type (Mercon for example, or 5w-30 oil, etc..). If one knows brands a factory bottles, you can get a brand name in a store brand bottle. The street rumor is NAPA brands are made in Valvoline plants. (I avoid Valvoline, thus I don't use NAPA oils and fluids)

Back