• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

resonator delete

Remove resonator= rasp..
Remove Resonator Add 4'round magnaflow in there and your golden..Sounds great..nice rumble at the tips..

I should add, my daughter has MSDS headers on her car with the SVT exhaust and glass pack.

Even before we installed the headers it sounded good. With the headers it now has a nice deeper tone to it and its louder.

Same setup I'm running, still sounds great one year later. :laugh:

i HATED the way my csvt sounded with the res cut out, the rasp and drone sucked. just put up some coin and buy some nice resonators and mufflers.

I agree, I had the resonator cut out in my SE and I regretted it big time. With my 2000 csvt I put a magnaflow muffler in there and I still wasnt that impressed, made a very small difference

I agree, I had the resonator cut out in my SE and I regretted it big time. With my 2000 csvt I put a magnaflow muffler in there and I still wasnt that impressed, made a very small difference

i did something like that, but i cut out the res and put in a magnaflow and then got two nice, but subtle, magna flow mufflers for outback, not overly aggressive looking, but clean and sounded great. i got compliments on it all the time.

i did something like that, but i cut out the res and put in a magnaflow and then got two nice, but subtle, magna flow mufflers for outback, not overly aggressive looking, but clean and sounded great. i got compliments on it all the time.

Ya thats what I had planned to eventually do, but then i bought Jeff's/ your old car

previous owner of my 99 3liter svt had someone cut the mufflers off and left the ford resonator on and the note sounds very good i get tons of complimants on it all the time

your costing your self some hp/tq too. i guess it comes down to whats more important to you...sound or power:shrug:

sound or power

sound or power

oh really had no clue the car pulls its ass off now putting mufflers back on would make it feel even better? are you suggesting two back in the stock location or pull the resonator off and put a mufler there or an aftermarket resonator help me out please. thanks all chad

Last edited:
oh really had no clue the car pulls its ass off now putting mufflers back on would make it feel even better? are you suggesting two back in the stock location or pull the resonator off and put a mufler there or an aftermarket resonator help me out please. thanks all chad

The stock y-pipe and stock resonator are the most major choke points on our cars.

See the resonator pipe goes from 2.25 to 2.00 to fit into the resonator. then comes out at 2inch pipe which increases to 2.25.

That reduction in pipe then a crappy resonator really reduces exhaust flow, which is keeping you from making more power.

Replace it with a nice high flow muffler/resonator and you will thank us later:)

There wasn't a thread devoted to my question, but this seems like the right place to start.

I have a 99 SE, resonator removed with a magnaflow straight through design in its place. Behind that is a stock SVT exhaust. It is getting loud to the point of me wanting to put in earplugs, and it was never like that before. This only seems to be around 2100 RPM when the engine is under a load. If I turn of overdrive and have the RPMs kick up a bit then the sound is much more tolerable. I looked underneath to see if there was a hole developing in one of the pipes or mufflers and that doesn't seem to be the case. The flex pipe has never been replaced and seems pretty worn. Could that be the cause of the overly loud exhaust?

There wasn't a thread devoted to my question, but this seems like the right place to start.

I have a 99 SE, resonator removed with a magnaflow straight through design in its place. Behind that is a stock SVT exhaust. It is getting loud to the point of me wanting to put in earplugs, and it was never like that before. This only seems to be around 2100 RPM when the engine is under a load. If I turn of overdrive and have the RPMs kick up a bit then the sound is much more tolerable. I looked underneath to see if there was a hole developing in one of the pipes or mufflers and that doesn't seem to be the case. The flex pipe has never been replaced and seems pretty worn. Could that be the cause of the overly loud exhaust?

Did it just start to get loud, or has it been like this. See removing the stock resonator and putting in a open magnaflow muffler. Then you will have drone. The only way to get rid of the drone, is to put in a muffler in the place of the resonator.

If it has suddenly started to get louder, then you have an exhaust leak. You need to jack up the car and then start it up. Then run your hand down the exhaust. Obviously don't touch the exhaust up front when first started, it gets hot real quickly. If you leave it running too long then don't touch the exhaust at all. lol you will burn yourself. So run your hand over the exhaust and try to feel the exhaust hit your hand. If you feel nothing, then you don't have any leaks. Then you will know its your resonators.

A common problem with the svt mufflers is a tiny pin hole gets created on the mufflers on the bottom middle. So make sure to run your hands around all the exhaust components.

Did it just start to get loud, or has it been like this. See removing the stock resonator and putting in a open magnaflow muffler. Then you will have drone. The only way to get rid of the drone, is to put in a muffler in the place of the resonator.

It seems to have gotten louder only recently. I've gotten under it to look for holes, but never as you suggested, with it running and feeling for the leaks... And thanks for the tip about the possible pin hole in the svt mufflers.

Who knows, maybe my hearing is getting better in my old age and that is why it is bothering me now.... :)

It seems to have gotten louder only recently. I've gotten under it to look for holes, but never as you suggested, with it running and feeling for the leaks... And thanks for the tip about the possible pin hole in the svt mufflers.

Who knows, maybe my hearing is getting better in my old age and that is why it is bothering me now.... :)

If its recently, then its a leak. I never heard of hearing getting better :). And if you yours did, then you need to tell me your secret:laugh: .

I hope you find your rpoblem. I hate exhaust leaks!! It sucks when siting at a light and the inside smells like fumes all the time:blackeye:

I finally got my flex pipe replaced because I was due for an e test. Shortly after the exhaust got loud again. Found it was the resonator leaking. I guess the increased pressure blew out a rusted section. I really should get it fixed before the baby comes. Don't want any carbon monoxide getting into the cabin.

Was just wondering what is the best thing to do with the resonator to keep up fuel economy? Would going with a stock replacement keep up the mileage or is there another solution that will get me better fuel economy?

Was just wondering what is the best thing to do with the resonator to keep up fuel economy? Would going with a stock replacement keep up the mileage or is there another solution that will get me better fuel economy?

Nothing you do to the flex pipe or resonator should affect fuel economy.

Back