• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ready for the snow?

+69

i grew up driving RWD and love it.
sure 4WD is nice for the heavy junk, but my little vic (even with non-snow tires) has been a beast is the snow this year.

What's everyones total snowfall for the season? We are at 80.6" right now putting it at the 5th highest snowfall recorded for CT. We have to break 115.2" set in 95-96 to hit 1st.

I remeber that winter .... not sure I would have to go outside and check. I do know that at the corner of my garage the snow is now piled high enough from drifting, shoveling and snow off the garage roof that I can almost just jump onto the roof from the snow pile.

i contemplated doing that off the garage last night....it would only be about a 6 foot drop off my 12 foot roof!

I remeber that winter .... not sure I would have to go outside and check. I do know that at the corner of my garage the snow is now piled high enough from drifting, shoveling and snow off the garage roof that I can almost just jump onto the roof from the snow pile.

Yeah, I was really young that winter but I remember we got our old dog in April of 96, and there was a major storm that day. I think we got like 12", in APRIL!

little bit more and I might be able to just walk up onto the garage roof.

DSC_9654.jpg

DSC_9651.jpg

DSC_9652.jpg

And about 24" inches of snow in the middle of the back yard.

DSC_9656.jpg

and one just for fun

DSC_9657_tonemapped.jpg

i spent 4.5 hours today shoveling off my breezeway and family room. then re-shoveling it after i roof raked as much of the main roof as i could reach.

Yeah, I was really young that winter but I remember we got our old dog in April of 96, and there was a major storm that day. I think we got like 12", in APRIL!
We had a blizzard on 4/1/97, though we may have gotten one in 96 as well. I do remember having a ton of snow days in winter '95-96, was an awesome year.

My driveway has shrunk from fiting 7 cars to barely getting our 2 cars in. Most of the neighbors around me have plows so i just wait till i see them start plowing their driveways and run outside with my little plastic shovel and try to look pathetic. Someone always takes pity on me :) They might be getting wise, might have to send the wife out to shovel, maybe in a bikini. ;).

My driveway has shrunk from fiting 7 cars to barely getting our 2 cars in. Most of the neighbors around me have plows so i just wait till i see them start plowing their driveways and run outside with my little plastic shovel and try to look pathetic. Someone always takes pity on me :) They might be getting wise, might have to send the wife out to shovel, maybe in a bikini. ;).

lol this is hilarious

A house near my parents collapsed on Thursday (photo credit a neighbor). The front and rear walls are bowed out, house is condemned and will be torn down. Feel terrible for the owners. Similar house style, same builder, same roof pitch... so I'm going down tomorrow and helping my dad clean off the roof again.. the 4th time this season.

Free your dryer vents! My parents' vent is close to the ground and yesterday they realized it is completely blocked by snow and ice. It took him an hour to chip away the ice around the vent.

A house near my parents collapsed on Thursday (photo credit a neighbor). The front and rear walls are bowed out, house is condemned and will be torn down. Feel terrible for the owners. Similar house style, same builder, same roof pitch... so I'm going down tomorrow and helping my dad clean off the roof again.. the 4th time this season.

Free your dryer vents! My parents' vent is close to the ground and yesterday they realized it is completely blocked by snow and ice. It took him an hour to chip away the ice around the vent.

Some good points there Matt. I'm going to call my Mom today to make sure the dryer vent is free.

I couldn't believe it: there was another foot of snow on the roof even though it had been cleaned three times before. The snow was frozen so we ended up climbing up there and shoveling. Should have just brought the electric snow thrower up to the roof, like the neighbor did today.

5.jpg

That's a full-size door behind the snow. Who needs ladders when you can just walk up to the roof?
3.jpg

Clearing a path killed the trusty Ariens. :(
9.jpg

fun fun!!!
at least now that you took the mojority of it off, the couple of warmer days coming up will help clear the rest of it off.

I'm glad that I kept up with the snow on the roof as much as possible. snow is almost all gone and the ice dam on the front gutter is finally getting smaller.

The weather this week is going to help like crazy with the snow on the roof tops. I chopped up some of the snow/ice the plow pushed into my parking spot and threw it into the parking lot this morning. I was sick of not being able to open my door when I park.

a friend of mine owns a landscraping company and i asked him about paying to have him move some snow with a bobcat.
he said if he wasnt using it this weekend he was going to drop it off and let me play.
well..he ended up needing it last minute..grrr
hopefuly next weekend.
i want the large piles in front of my house and the one along the side of my driveway gone.
i plan on relocating them to the back yard. it will help with flooding when this stuff really starts to melt.

Back