• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Punkie Heat Shield Install question

terryford8

CEG'er
Just got heat shield and need some install help please
i have BAT short intake with K&N filter and don't want to
screw up this beautiful Pudmunkie shield..im old..sick...and am
tryin to install it tonight in unheated garage
thanks guys
doug

Last edited:
the pudmonkie heat shield is very easy to install. Just slide the maf adaptor through the heatshield and then install the filter. It just drops into place.

I have head that the BAT pipe maybe to long to install with the heatshield, but I am not possitive on that.

DSC_8846-1.jpg

Last edited:
As a photojournalist..i say beautiful photo
Think your right about the BAT pipe...But..its a new day so will look again
didn't want to start drilling four holes for the adapter bolts...by mistake
thanks so very much
doug
also note your hooked up to fender air...awesome

I confirm that the BAT intake pipe is too long to install with the Pudmunkie heatshield.

newpics047.jpg

As a photojournalist..i say beautiful photo
Think your right about the BAT pipe...But..its a new day so will look again
didn't want to start drilling four holes for the adapter bolts...by mistake
thanks so very much
doug
also note your hooked up to fender air...awesome

yup, not need to drill any holes for bolts.

also that is the stock fender snorkle. The KKM filter is an inverse cone filter and comes with the coupling to connect to the snorkle like it does.

Hey Guys your help is deeply appreciated.
I made a 8x10 print of Br's photo and laid it on my battery.
When i made sure the bolts holding the BAT pipe didn't come thru on the Heat shield
side....it fit into place perfectly. I also used twist wire protector covers to shield
all the battery and other electrical cable to make sure nothing rubbed and
might cut into the wires. Was also lucky enough to have my Factory cold air
duct fit into the heatshield. Maybe should follow Br's example and get a reverse
cone instead of my K&N unit. Can't thank u enough for taking the time to help me..and a tip of the hat
to Brandon aka member( btolenti) for taking extra care to get the unit to me in Canada.
Cheers///Doug P
Montreal Canadiens, Expos and Olympic Games Photojournalist..

I tried to get my BAT pipe in with the shield, and I would have had to cut more than an inch off the BAT intake pipe. I sold it instead.

I have both the BAT intake pipe along with the Pudmunkie (not Punkie) heatshield. I never realized there was a fitment issue using both but now it makes sense why it's so tight. It will fit fine but it takes some wiggling around to get everything squeezed in there.

My heatshield is pressed hard up against the edge of the fender, but it works. I had just assumed that's how it was designed. :laugh:

I had to use some metal shop tools to trim maybe 1/4 or 3/8 inch off my BAT pipe for it to go in with the pud shield. Everything fits fine now.

BTW, like the hockey shot buried in with the intakes.

Anyone got one of Bobby Hull with his jaw wired shut for the Cup finals from 1970?

My heatshield is pressed hard up against the edge of the fender

You can see in my pic, I have the heat shield pressed up against a tab that is mounted to my wheel well and not pushed tight to the fender lip. The closer I get to the fender, the more the shield hit the hood :blackeye:. My car is also a PRE98, so I have a little different clearance than you guys do with POST98.

I had to use some metal shop tools to trim maybe 1/4 or 3/8 inch off my BAT pipe for it to go in with the pud shield. Everything fits fine now.

BTW, like the hockey shot buried in with the intakes.

Anyone got one of Bobby Hull with his jaw wired shut for the Cup finals from 1970?

Thanks for the photo comment...thats my shot of Guy Lafleur...the inset shot is by Dennis Brodeur father of New Jersey Devils goalie Martin....Denny was the Montreal Canadiens official photographer and has followed and photographed his son from his early career to the Olympics...one really kind decent man who helped me with my career..doug
I did photographer Bobby Hull when he played in the WHL...not sure where those photo negs are right now...but if i come across them..i will pm u

Back