• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pubmunkie's Heat Shield

sweetsvt

CEG'er
I messed around with Pud's heatshield a bit and realized it's gonna be a really tight fit. Can someone offer any suggestions? I still have the lining on my hood so I guess that will need to come off. Once I remove it, is my engine going to be louder? Will there be more dust collecting under my hood? If there is anything I should be aware of, let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
The fit is tight. The majority of contour owners I know did not have the cover in. I never did, and it was designed with it off.

You will hear more noise slightly, but its not going to affect dust or anything like that.

Im finding more and more how different each contour is. what fits like a glove on some, does not on others. Luckily however, it seems as though 98% of them fit without problem.

I put some pipe insulation around the top of the heatshield, and 1/2" weather-stripping on the hood -- so they seal against each other. It's almost completely sealed... there are some areas which don't contact and I think I need to lift that part of the heatshield.

i did a small amount of trimming and it fits perfict.

What do you mean by trimming? I put in the shield today and it doesn't fit. The shield sits too hight on the back side and the hood hits the shield when it's closed. I'm thinking of trimming off the top, but open to any other ideas.

Backside meaning twoards the firewall? You need to rotate it a bit

Backside meaning twoards the motor? You need to loosen all your intake connections and angle everything down

You could always PM me if you needed to troubleshoot...

Backside meaning twoards the firewall? You need to rotate it a bit

Backside meaning twoards the motor? You need to loosen all your intake connections and angle everything down

You could always PM me if you needed to troubleshoot...

By back side I mean the firewall. Here are some pics which will give you a better idea. The fit seems ok, but when the hood is closed, it doesn't quite line up. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. I can take pics of different angles if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
Everything needs to be angled down. Start with your intake pipe, and angle everything down.

Loosen the silicon on the TB to intake pipe, intake pipe to maf adapter. then put the adapter into the shield and put your filter on. then push the filter down so it sits (make sure there is nothing under it keeping it pushed up) and start to tighten your clamps where everything fits.

I got it to fit; however, the hood still doesn't line up with the fender. It might be from the gas springs...I put those in tonight too. Oh well. Guess it'll have to do.

you have to adjust your hood bump stops. when i said "trimming" i ment, the back side(twoards the motor) was hitting my trans mount( i think its the trans mount) and pussing it up so i just trimmed it to clear the mount.

I also needed to trim that skirt because it was hitting the trans mount. I just cut a notch off it.

If you guys can take a picture of what you're trimming and it turns out to be a common problem I will alter the CAD file to reflect this so that future boxes dont have this problem.

I got it to fit; however, the hood still doesn't line up with the fender. It might be from the gas springs...I put those in tonight too. Oh well. Guess it'll have to do.

That's normal of the hood struts. You have to tap down the lip on the fenders for it to shut perfect.

I just used a piece of wood then hit the top of the wood with a hammer. It shuts just like it did before the struts now.

Last edited:
Back