• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nobody is safe from layoffs

iBrent

Veteran CEG'er
Even private companies that don't have to answer to shareholders are being hit by this recession.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1146458

The announcements for my department come out tomorrow...

If I still have a job on Thursday I'll be partying hard. I'm actually quite lucky because I almost put an offer on a house last December. I would not want to be facing a mortgage with the possibility of being laid off tomorrow.

We got rid of our 17 temps and laid off an additional 36 employees from a company of 169 last November. We also shut down production between Christmas and New Years for the first time in company history. Our wages are also frozen. We were hit hardest when the Chinese economy crashed. Things are rough. Hope it works out for you.

your right, no one is safe.

I feel safe at the moment. My company has signed for 6 more years with the company I am contracted to and we are looking to hire. Being the only one in my group, in either company, to do what I do I should be pretty valuable. Plus I am working both military and commercial projects so only time will tell what happens there.

Even private companies that don't have to answer to shareholders are being hit by this recession.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1146458

The announcements for my department come out tomorrow...

If I still have a job on Thursday I'll be partying hard. I'm actually quite lucky because I almost put an offer on a house last December. I would not want to be facing a mortgage with the possibility of being laid off tomorrow.

What do you do there? engineer? office position?
Just curious if Mike's company has anything available that you'd be qualified for.

Good luck tomorrow!

What do you do there? engineer? office position?
Just curious if Mike's company has anything available that you'd be qualified for.

Good luck tomorrow!

Electrical Engineer specializing in reliability. Component and systems level. I have an analog background but have excellent computer skills including LabView programming, Java, C++, bash scripting, etc.

I was checking Monster.com last night and there isn't much out there.

We got rid of our 17 temps and laid off an additional 36 employees from a company of 169 last November. We also shut down production between Christmas and New Years for the first time in company history. Our wages are also frozen. We were hit hardest when the Chinese economy crashed. Things are rough. Hope it works out for you.

This is the first time in company history (since 1964) that we've had to do mass layoffs.

Last edited:
Big Y, which is a pretty big grocery store in Western/Central MA and CT, laid off approximately 600 FULL-time employees between their approximately 50 stores and main office. They cut positions and restructured the hierarchy at each store as to cut down on the "unnecessary" positions that presumably get paid too much. Big Y is privately owned as well.

It doesn't really make any sense to me, though. I mean, these privately owned companies are presumably still making just as much money as they used to, yet are panicking and cutting jobs? I see the sales figures for Big Y each day, and they've gone continuously up in the 4.5 years I've been there. So why do they need to cut jobs?

I really think people just overreact, as I'm no economist...:shrug:

Best of luck to you Brent.

Big Y, which is a pretty big grocery store in Western/Central MA and CT, laid off approximately 600 FULL-time employees between their approximately 50 stores and main office. They cut positions and restructured the hierarchy at each store as to cut down on the "unnecessary" positions that presumably get paid too much. Big Y is privately owned as well.

It doesn't really make any sense to me, though. I mean, these privately owned companies are presumably still making just as much money as they used to, yet are panicking and cutting jobs? I see the sales figures for Big Y each day, and they've gone continuously up in the 4.5 years I've been there. So why do they need to cut jobs?

I really think people just overreact, as I'm no economist...:shrug:

Best of luck to you Brent.

yeah the price of food has gone up. I can only assume that they have to pay more to get that food. So the bottom line is still the same. and if people are cutting back or being smarter in how they shop as in other areas then I could see where they could be struggling also.

I have an analog background but have excellent computer skills including LabView programming, Java, C++, bash scripting, etc.

Wow, people actually use the labview software that I had to learn how to use in school? Exciting.

Best of luck to you man.

My company had layoffs in Q4 '08 and will do so again in Q1 '09, totalling 3000 people.
Best of luck, truly hope you have a job tomorrow! Or, if not, at least hope it will eventually be a blessing in disguise.

I feel especially bad for fresh college grads right now.

Everyone is saying the economy will jump back, but I honestly think it will take over 5 years to fully recover, if not longer.

The only companies that seem to be doing decent these days are military and government based programs, go figure.

Things were getting rough for a while...especially towards the beginning of winter because companies always hold out on paying us if they've already got too many write-offs, so they can apply them to th ecoming year. But, after new years everyone paid up (like normal) but walk in business and sales have picked up too. I will say that 2 weeks ago was probably the best week for business in years. It was totally out of left field.

So far every job in the school district remains but we are under a budget freeze. There is a position in my dept. that needs to be filled and they even picked someone after interviews, but due to the budget freeze, they can't be hired.

I thought about looking into a job somewhere else, but I think this is one of the few places my job feels secure. It's too bad because ESPN is minutes away from my house and they are always hiring. I just don't know how solid my position would be after hearing about more and more layoffs everywhere on a daily basis.

I was hoping the booze would help me sleep. Looks like it isn't working.

It sucks being so nervous about something that is ultimately out of my control at this point.

were hiring like crazy at my job. just hired 10 people last week...

Where do you work?

I was hoping the booze would help me sleep. Looks like it isn't working.

It sucks being so nervous about something that is ultimately out of my control at this point.

Drink more? Like I said earlier, I hope it all works out for you.

Back