• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Struts/Srings | Rides Worse Like A Truck

Hmm I just had my front suspension replaced (not at a dealer, though) and I'm also riding around in BLUE! A fellow CEGer and NECOer said they'd never heard of such a thing :confused: . I'll go dig up my receipt later and I'll post what it says...

contact Bill Jenkins and ask him if he can cross reference the part number to see if the struts are really Ford units or if they are the correct ones ... maybe search the online parts sites also with that part number and see what comes up

I called and he gave me the correct numbers.

I went to the dealer and they admitted putting on after market struts and springs. They said they were sent in the OEM box from their distributor and just realized it when I told them. Although, let's not forget that the service guy told me 3 times after I asked if those blue color struts where OEM , he said yes.

They are now going to order it direct from the dealer and not through thier distrubitor and said there are some packaging issue?

They also asked me if I wanted to replace the strut bumper bellows?

I called and he gave me the correct numbers.

I went to the dealer and they admitted putting on after market struts and springs. They said they were sent in the OEM box from their distributor and just realized it when I told them. Although, let's not forget that the service guy told me 3 times after I asked if those blue color struts where OEM , he said yes.

They are now going to order it direct from the dealer and not through thier distrubitor and said there are some packaging issue?

They also asked me if I wanted to replace the strut bumper bellows?

Told ya. They arent called 'stealerships' for nuthn! Make sure the new ones match the numbers u have.

The bellows keeps dirt out, I'd change them if cost reasonable. I am glad the dealer will do the right thing now.

The bellows keeps dirt out, I'd change them if cost reasonable. I am glad the dealer will do the right thing now.

Hey guys.

So, I had all the struts replaced with OEM. And I had the rear springs replaced because they were cracked. The front springs they said were in good shape and measure to correct distance.

Anyways, since it's been several months now (7 months), I allowed enough time for the struts/springs to break in...as they say. Unfortunately, the ride is still the same as before I had the struts/springs replaced. I still get that slight bouncy feeling going over dips in the road. It feels like you are bouncy up and down from your seat. Annoying and irritating is the word. Also, the rear struts don't feel like they are taking the shock from the road. When going over a lift in the road (like cement is lifted and the immediately there is a drop back to normal road, it feels and sounds like the rear just sort of slams back down on the ground. Where most cars take that shock and you feel nothing in the seats.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have put in good new shocks in other cars which felt lousy for about 50 miles then settled in to feel good.

Mike

Correct, I thought they should be black.

The receipt from the dealer states some numbers and info:

QTY 1

FP-NUMBER 277-3284 SPRING

QTY 2

FP-NUMBER 201984 STRUT

In addition, I measured the rear from the ground up to the wheel well. It measures 28"

Let me add, it took the dealer 3 days for the struts/springs because they could not find them easily.

Exactly how can I have the dealer prove to me those are OEM struts/springs and they apply to my car. Also, are OEMs strickly OEM from one manufacturer or several like NAPA? I mean, where do these struts/struts come from?

1999 Contour SE, 4 cyl, 2.0L
so they replaced 1 spring and 2 struts? 3 springs with 130k and 1 with 0 miles? doesnt sound good:shrug:

so they replaced 1 spring and 2 struts? 3 springs with 130k and 1 with 0 miles? doesnt sound good:shrug:

No. I had 4 struts replaced and 2 springs in the rear. All OEM.

xdetroitx, I see you have a 98 CONTOUR SE. Does your car ride ok and what type of struts and springs do you have?

Thanks

Last edited:
Did you get a receipt with new part numbers on them? The previous ones they installed were definately cheap aftermarket ones. Every Motorcraft strut I've ever seen (several hundred) has always been black (unless it's a special edition one). I'm thinking they're still cheap struts in there. Are the new ones black in color? The factory Ford ones should be part# F8RZ-18125-AA. The springs for a 99 Myst. 4cyl should be part # F5RZ-5560-D. Perhaps they used the heavier 6 cyl. spring, and that's causing your rough ride?

Last edited:
No. I had 4 struts replaced and 2 springs in the rear. All OEM.

xdetroitx, I see you have a 98 CONTOUR SE. Does your car ride ok and what type of struts and springs do you have?

Thanks
i replaced my rear struts and strut mounts about 2 years ago at 120k and noticed a much better ride i believe the front sruts are stock and rears are monroe.

Did you get a receipt with new part numbers on them? The previous ones they installed were definately cheap aftermarket ones. Every Motorcraft strut I've ever seen (several hundred) has always been black (unless it's a special edition one). I'm thinking they're still cheap struts in there. Are the new ones black in color? The factory Ford ones should be part# F8RZ-18125-AA. The springs for a 99 Myst. 4cyl should be part # F5RZ-5560-D. Perhaps they used the heavier 6 cyl. spring, and that's causing your rough ride?

Reading off the receipt, it states:

Replaced 2 Front Struts

F5RZ-5K962-A GAITER

3U2Z-18124-AB SHOCK ABSORBER

Replaced 2 Rear Struts & Springs

F5RZ-5560-D SPRING
F8RZ-18125-AA SHOCK ABSORBER

I have driven 7,000 miles thus far.

Last edited:
Then what's the part number for my car?

1999 Ford Contour SE L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI.
Manufactured: 10/98

According to Alldata.... There was an option for "Vin 3" or "Vin Z" but I checked both and the part number's for the struts/springs are the same.

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L CNG DOHC VIN Z SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC VIN 3 SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour V6-153 2.5L DOHC VIN L SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual - F5RZ5310H
Front Auto - F5RZ5310E
Rear Standard Edition - F5RZ5560D
Rear Sport Edition - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour V6-153 2.5L VIN G (24 Valve) SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual - F5RZ5310H
Front Auto - F5RZ5310E
Rear Standard Edition - F5RZ5560D
Rear Sport Edition - F5RZ5560D

:crazy:

Last edited:
The struts should be the same, it is the springs that are different. Larger spring constant for larger springs to resist larger forces from a larger engine. Smaller spring constant for smaller springs to resist smaller forces from a smaller engine :laugh:.

but he got rear springs and they should be the same since the engine isnt in the back:laugh:

...Betcha he got V6 springs. I'm sure I did. Hopefully I can change those out at some point, and also get the correct strut tower bolts :nonono:. Hey OP, check to see if there is a gap between the strut tower bolt rubber boot and the strut tower (inside the engine bay). I guarantee there is a gap.

Back