• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Struts/Srings | Rides Worse Like A Truck

Myrosia

CEG'er
Hi.

I have a 1999 Contour SE, 4 cyl, 2.0L
130.000 miles.

I just want the smoothest most comfortable ride I can get.

Well, I needed new struts and spring in the rear and had the dealer replace them. I thought that would be best.

Yesterday when I picked up the car, the service guy told me that the car would be sitting up more in the back untill the springs *settled*.

So drove the guy and it seems worst that before I brought it in. It's *bouncy* and more stiff than before. I seem to get a backache from driving it and this was the issue before I tool it in.

Could you offer me some suggestions what I should do now? I want to take it back but, what should I suggest for them to do?

I feel these are not the correct struts since they ride so much stiffer like a truck with out suspension.

Thanks

Last edited:
Take it back. It should not feel "bouncy". Bouncy gives me the impression that the struts are bad.

Yes, I had the rear struts and springs replaced by the dealer.

Tony, does it matter if I have OEM struts or aftermarket put on the car? Are there any other struts I could use or suggest the dealer to put on to give a nicer ride?

The bouciness I feel is....when you go over * little dips* in the road, you can feel the rear susupension sort of bouncy. Your body actually goes down and up in the seat. It's annoying and the ride is rather hard ride too.

What if I take it back and they tell me, "there's nothing wrong and that the normal ride for this make"?

I am concerned they will tell me that. Even though, I am not happy with the hard/stiffer ride that hurts my back.

dont u know wot sort of struts were installed by the dealer? If they're OEM, they should feel tha same as any contour that rolls outta tha factory... Comfy. tony's right. take em back n ask wot brand they are. OEM struts should be just fine unless you have some sorta lowering kit going on that u're unaware of.

See if maybe they inflated your tires too much, sometimes shops will pump them up. Then see what parts were installed. My Dad replaced one strut and spring with OEM (one had broken) in my sister's Mystique left rear, no bad ride, nor ride height problems. If your old rear springs were both broken, the car may sit higher a bit with new ones, and ride would firm up but should be "comfortably firm".

Last edited:
dont u know wot sort of struts were installed by the dealer? If they're OEM, they should feel tha same as any contour that rolls outta tha factory... Comfy. tony's right. take em back n ask wot brand they are. OEM struts should be just fine unless you have some sorta lowering kit going on that u're unaware of.

Yes, I do.

He said they were OEM struts and springs. But I am telling you, the ride is very stiff. It doesn't feel like the struts may have too big of pistons and may just be too compressed with gas or whatever.

Again, What if I take it back and they tell me, "there's nothing wrong and that the normal ride for this make"? Even though I am very disappointed. Is there anything I could suggest to the dealer?

did you have the fronts replaced? when I only changed the rear struts at 130k and drove the car it also had a very bouncy feeling. When I changed the front struts all was normal again.

and at 130k the front struts are shot also and should be changed.

did you have the fronts replaced? when I only changed the rear struts at 130k and drove the car it also had a very bouncy feeling. When I changed the front struts all was normal again.

and at 130k the front struts are shot also and should be changed.

No, I could not afford to change them at this time.

It's a combination, bouncy at times but very hard/stiff ride...worst then before and very uncomfortable, especially yo my back. And I have to drive long distance to work.

Again, What if I take it back and they tell me, "there's nothing wrong and that the normal ride for this make"? Even though I am very disappointed. Is there anything I could suggest to the dealer?

Last edited:
If they put in OEM struts and springs in the back, it should not bounce. But as stated, if your front suspension have not been changed, that could be the problem. Maybe it is your fronts which are causing the bouncing feeling but you think it is the rears as you just changed them.

Sometimes, when parts get worn out and you get used to them in that condition, you will notice other flaws greatly when you change one item and not the other.

Last edited:
Yes, I do.

He said they were OEM struts and springs. But I am telling you, the ride is very stiff. It doesn't feel like the struts may have too big of pistons and may just be too compressed with gas or whatever.

In the first place, if its a ford dealership, they will NOT tell you THEIR OWN factory struts n springs are useless. All things being equal, they should have no problem correcting it. Let em drive tha car so they can feel it too. If its that bad, they'll either change em out or suggest new ones in the front. My theory is the new rear ones aren't complimenting well the old n probably shot ones in the front.

If they put in OEM struts and springs in the back, it should not bounce. But as stated, if your front suspenion have not been changed, that could be the problem. Maybe it is your fronts which are causing the bouncing feeling but you think it is the rears as you just changed them.

Sometimes, when parts get worn out and you get used to them in that condition, you will notice other flaws greatly when you change one item and not the other.

this is what I was trying to get at. I changed the rear struts and I noticed how bad the front was and how much it bounced when hitting a bump, that was a pretty awful week of communting to work ...

If they put in OEM struts and springs in the back, it should not bounce. But as stated, if your front suspenion have not been changed, that could be the problem. Maybe it is your fronts which are causing the bouncing feeling but you think it is the rears as you just changed them.

Thanks. I understand what you are saying. Although, it is the rear struts. It's exactly what I felt before the new ones were installed, but worse. When going over an elavated road and it drops down quickly, I hear and feel the rear end of the car kinda all thump down without taking the *shock* of the road and that's when my seat and back *absorb* the road. I know of you feel it in your seat, in comes from the rear and if you feel it in the stearing wheel, it comes from the front suspension.

Same ole thing as before but seems worse...I don't see any improvement.

I ask again, if they take it for a ride and they tell me, "there's nothing wrong and that the normal ride for this make"? Even though I am very disappointed. Is there anything I could suggest to the dealer?

In the first place, if its a ford dealership, they will NOT tell you THEIR OWN factory struts n springs are useless. All things being equal, they should have no problem correcting it. Let em drive tha car so they can feel it too. If its that bad, they'll either change em out or suggest new ones in the front. My theory is the new rear ones aren't complimenting well the old n probably shot ones in the front.

BAD SVT: How do suppose they will correct the issue if they even agree? Also, could they have installed SVT struts and spring. It sure feel like high performance, very stiff suspension to me.

Last edited:
If they are OEM struts there will be a Ford label and part number sticker, I think you can see one without removing the wheel. Did you check your tire pressure?

If they are OEM struts there will be a Ford label and part number sticker, I think you can see one without removing the wheel. Did you check your tire pressure?

Tire pressure are fine.

I use:

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred P205/60R15 at 32 PSI

Also, when I looked at the struts, I can't find the Ford label and part number sticker and the struts are blue in color?

Last edited:
...I know of you feel it in your seat, in comes from the rear and if you feel it in the stearing wheel, it comes from the front suspension.
This is not my experience. My steering wheel was shaking at high speeds and it turned out to be my rear springs and struts.

Correct, I thought they should be black.

The receipt from the dealer states some numbers and info:

QTY 1

FP-NUMBER 277-3284 SPRING

QTY 2

FP-NUMBER 201984 STRUT

In addition, I measured the rear from the ground up to the wheel well. It measures 28"

Let me add, it took the dealer 3 days for the struts/springs because they could not find them easily.

Exactly how can I have the dealer prove to me those are OEM struts/springs and they apply to my car. Also, are OEMs strickly OEM from one manufacturer or several like NAPA? I mean, where do these struts/struts come from?

1999 Contour SE, 4 cyl, 2.0L

contact Bill Jenkins and ask him if he can cross reference the part number to see if the struts are really Ford units or if they are the correct ones ... maybe search the online parts sites also with that part number and see what comes up

Back