• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Syncros!!!!

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
I am going to do fix my "syncros" in some time but kinda want to get the info now so i can start saving upo the money to have a bullit proof trany. I was wonderign what parts i need to get not only to fix the syncro but make the mtx75 much stronger. Just put a brand new Stock SVT clutch in 100 miles ago.

items i am planning on getting are:
Upgraded shift forks from bat 1st,3rd,5th
Torsen LSD
Fidanza Aluminum flywheel

what else??

thanks Alex

Do yourself a favor and send your trans to Terry Haines. No one knows that transmission better and he has all the parts as well as all the upgrades to make a bullet-proof trans.

He has the three piece 3rd gear synchro that is no longer available from Ford, Quaffe LSD to replace the glass diff parts, roller forks, shift tower key to keep the bolt from breaking, and can have the internal parts coated to improve durability. No one else can do all that.

Do yourself a favor and send your trans to Terry Haines. No one knows that transmission better and he has all the parts as well as all the upgrades to make a bullet-proof trans.

He has the three piece 3rd gear synchro that is no longer available from Ford, Quaffe LSD to replace the glass diff parts, roller forks, shift tower key to keep the bolt from breaking, and can have the internal parts coated to improve durability. No one else can do all that.

How much does he charge anywhos? And what does it cost to ship a transmission?

I am also looking to get some things replaced, and paying to ship out and back, my tranny dont seem worth it.:shrug:

If i take it to a local shop, would it be wise to buy the new parts on my own? Where can i find new OEM syncros, shift forks and a TOB?

Last question, any body have experience with local shops? Is there anything to watch out for?

Thanks guys.

I agree send it to Terry and have it done right the first time, Mine is solid but when I get my 3l turbo done it will go to Terry for a full HMS and possibly even a bulldog box if he has the time.

I agree, Terry Haines hands down for Transmission work. I cant think of anyone who's more experienced and knowledgeable with the MTX75. Likley to be a little more pricey than a local shop, but well worth the extra money and hassle. Terry does not visit here much any more but you can reach him over at Fordcontour.org

I agree send it to Terry and have it done right the first time.

Some times it takes a second time, or maybe third :blackeye: .

Its really not that complicated. Don't get caught up in the hype and gimmicks, and especialy the $$$. Theres nothing complicated about installing syncros and a diff. Any good Ford dealer could do it or manual trans shop for at least half the price! Really all a MTX-75 needs is a good refresh of the wear items and a Torsen or Quaife. Maybe a shift tower, but stronger bolt in a stock 2.5 tower seem to work well also.....

Some times it takes a second time, or maybe third :blackeye: .

Its really not that complicated. Don't get caught up in the hype and gimmicks, and especialy the $$$. Theres nothing complicated about installing syncros and a diff. Any good Ford dealer could do for 5 times as muchor manual trans shop for at least half the price! Really all a MTX-75 needs is a good refresh of the wear items and a Torsen or Quaife. Maybe a shift tower, but stronger bolt in a stock 2.5 tower seem to work well also.....

fixed......

I dunno - Terry knows these trannys good, but most of the time people dont have 2K to drop into their DD MTX - I'm lucky, I happen to have a local, privatly owned, transmission shop that builds import demostic, and NHRA - bulletproof transmissions. Transmission is flawless, has taken more punishment then I'd like to post about and runs out smoothly... Do your research - I even provided the shop CSVT 49's picture guide on how to do the rebuild and they were damn impressed with the quality of the home made guide :cool:

Good luck - looks like you are doing it right the first time - I've got to do a clutch, so while that is out, in goes the alum. flywheel, headers, FRPP short shifter, and full exhaust - time to make the DD scream :laugh:

How much does he charge anywhos? And what does it cost to ship a transmission?

He charges this
GAS_PRICES_ARM_LEG_1st_BORN_web.jpg

I dunno - Terry knows these trannys good, but most of the time people dont have 2K to drop into their DD MTX - I'm lucky, I happen to have a local, privatly owned, transmission shop that builds import demostic, and NHRA - bulletproof transmissions. Transmission is flawless, has taken more punishment then I'd like to post about and runs out smoothly... Do your research - I even provided the shop CSVT 49's picture guide on how to do the rebuild and they were damn impressed with the quality of the home made guide :cool:

Good luck - looks like you are doing it right the first time - I've got to do a clutch, so while that is out, in goes the alum. flywheel, headers, FRPP short shifter, and full exhaust - time to make the DD scream :laugh:

Thats what I am talking about. Theres lots of those places around. Don't go beleiving the mtx-75 is some voodo trans. Its not at all.

Lol freaking hilarious.
<--- Ex Ford technician. Trans to for a short period.

And did you ever hand the bill to anyone? I know the dealership near me normally cost 1.5x as much as the mechanic I normally go to. There is a reason why they are called stealerships. But we are hijacking, so no more from me.

Synchros are also sometimes known as blocker rings. More exactly, it is the brass blocker rings of the synchro assembly that usually requires replacement from wear.

Shifting forks are completely different.

Back