• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New CSVT with 3L Swap

yea shoot me a few more pics and what you'd want for em. they look pretty decent now that i can see the whole car. no promises tho, those ats's are my top priority lol.

HAHA damn... good thing i have a local pick-a-part. i'd imagine regular tour seatbelts will work for now..just need someting to strap the little munchkin in while i'm rippin gears....well rippin all but 3rd for now ha!..i'll get the rest of the materials around and start a thread on the future "must have" for us cSVT guys that we talked about. should be pretty fun!

have you put the little one in the back seat yet? I have a 4.5 month old, I had to drive him home from the hospital in mine :cool: I drove him around in it for a couple weeks after, but I couldnt wait to get a decent sized family car. Its a tight squeeze, and having to use the seatbelt to secure the car seat is a PITA. I was real happy to pick up something newer with the built in brackets between the seat bottom and seat back to clip the car seat in to, not to mention the front seat passenger doesnt have to hug the dash in the new car

haha nope not yet. Just called down to another yard here in town that pulls the parts for you. they will have me a belt this afternoon. Its about uhhh 2 degrees here today. not trying to figure out out to pull the rear seats(im sure its not hard) in a mind frozen coma ha! But, this is my toy/secondary car. I've got an 03 duramax also that someone could lay down inthe back seat. I just dont like driving it much because i work 5 minutes from home..so it really doesnt get to full temp anywhere near that fast. I look at that as being harder on the motor. I know the back seat is small in our cars, but before this i had a reg cab ranger... this is a slight improvement i'd say. Didnt have an airbag so she was alrgith to be up there, but.....you wouldnt imagine the nasty looks i got from the soccer moms in their mini vans at stoplights..

got a temp seat belt from the yard today..buckle bolt holes dont line up. aparently 98's are different than 99's when it comes to seatbelt securement lol....hoping John pulls a rabbit outta his hat and finds some rear seatbelts i can trade him for green paper :)

got a temp seat belt from the yard today..buckle bolt holes dont line up. aparently 98's are different than 99's when it comes to seatbelt securement lol....hoping John pulls a rabbit outta his hat and finds some rear seatbelts i can trade him for green paper :)

I would assume svttour would be able to get you some seat belts pretty easily as well.

I just got home from the red wings game in Detroit I will look tomorrow right after work.

All good John, for the time being i'm goign to modify this '98 belt to work so I can continue driving the little one around. Way to cold here at 5 deggrees this morning to go out and fire up the diesel to drive 5 minutes to work. If you find some thatd be killer, if not this middle belt will work for now.

Lol if u want them as is I will clean and send u pics they clean up nice the way they are.

image-48_zps7504d2fc.jpg

When you posted this i thought it looked familiar but missed the hood scoop as the dead giveaway. I've seen this car on youtube before, it has the DP dump out the front bumper if I remember correctly. have you put many miles on it since you picked it up? Curious how you like the dump...

So since it sounds like whoever did the 3L swap did a hack job, make sure you go through the engine and everything with a fine-tooth comb before getting it tuned. If there are problems with the swap and you tune around them, the tune will never be right. Just a friendly suggestion... :)

I do most of the assembly work but I did everything for free so I let the guy who owned the do the porting and the guy was just vary impatient and did not do a vary good job. He wanted to do it the cheap way. And we all know there is no such thing as a cheap 3L swap.

Justin I agree with you and i've only heard it from the youtube vid. Its different so I give the guy who did it props for that...but dumps shall stay with the drag cars IMO...John those belt latches were quite a task getting fished through the back seat HA..but the temp baby belt is in place.

99 Mystique i wouldnt say its a complete hack job.. the thing fires up and runs out great all day.. its running god aweful rich but still pulls hard all the way through. Just got a CEL for one of the 02 sensors(scanned at this morning half dead so i dont remmeber which one) which I fully expected to happen. I'll be fixing that and the rear pass brake caliper this weekend.

I do most of the assembly work but I did everything for free so I let the guy who owned the do the porting and the guy was just vary impatient and did not do a vary good job. He wanted to do it the cheap way. And we all know there is no such thing as a cheap 3L swap.

Absolutely correct about no such thing as a cheap 3L. Sure you can get a complete low mileage engine from the junkyard for $400 or so but it's the little things that add up quickly. My comment wasn't directed at you, based on what was said here it sounds like the guy who owned the car tried to cut some corners.

99 Mystique i wouldnt say its a complete hack job.. the thing fires up and runs out great all day.. its running god aweful rich but still pulls hard all the way through. Just got a CEL for one of the 02 sensors(scanned at this morning half dead so i dont remmeber which one) which I fully expected to happen. I'll be fixing that and the rear pass brake caliper this weekend.

All I'm trying to say is if you have any known issues be sure to get them fixed before going to get it tuned. Look over everything very closely and make sure everything is hooked up correctly. As I'm sure you know, if you tune a vehicle with a problem and then fix that problem you're going to need a new tune. The car should run and drive fairly well untuned but it'll run a lot better once it's tuned.

for sure i know what you're are saying. I know a lot of guys drive them un-tuned so i'm in no hurry to just get it tuned. I def want to get a handle on a few things before hand.

You can datalog all day, have the tuner build you a few based off that data that was logged and it'll run great for whats going on and what the car is doing then...you fix an issue that was there before you tuned ...bam.... like you said you will need to do more logging and submit it for a new tune file.

data logging > dyno tune IMO

Back