• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My car is shaking!

todras have you adjusted your engine mounts yet? I have been wondering about the intermediate shaft bearing however i figured it would be more... distinct.

what really pushes me toward the mounts is the fact that there is no knocking. just vibration.

bearing on the intermediate shaft.

KyleQ, you had this problem, remember! your the one that told me about it, because we noticed your intermediate shaft bearing was a little stiff last time we had it out. you called me and said you had a vibration and you replaced it, right?

I think you are thinking of someone else. I'm not comprehending this we stuff. I've never had an issue with an IS. What does bearing being a little stiff even mean? LOL!

you have a bad inner CV. The outside CV will "click", inner CV will not "click" but will cause a vibration underload that will go away when you let off the gas, also can cause random "POP" sound that you swear came from a strut. One way of checking them is full weight on suspension and grabbing the shaft between the inner and outter and shakeing it. Usally will feel the slop.

I think you are thinking of someone else. I'm not comprehending this we stuff. I've never had an issue with an IS. What does bearing being a little stiff even mean? LOL!

i'm talking to someone that posted on this thread to you.

we pulled KyleQ's 3L and put headers and a clutch/flywheel on it. when we put in the intermediate shaft, it seemed that the bearing on the intermediate shaft had become stiff, as in hard to turn. like the bearing was binding up. about four months later he called me up and said that the bearing had gone out on the shaft and upon accelleration it would give a vibration. just thought i'd clue you in on what Kyle had experienced and i was hoping he would read my post and add alittle more info on what his car was doing, for comparison purposes.

I finally worked on the car again yesterday. I can see how a RR can cause a vibration but just didn't see it in my car. After someone posted about the inner CV causing a vibration it made more sense to me. I thought about doing the inter. shaft for kicks but I just don't see that wearing out in 150k. I picked up a pass. side axle and installed it. Finally drove the car today to test and the vibration is gone. I couldn't tell that much of a difference in the old axle and the slightly used axle I installed by testing slop in my hands. The old axle must have been worn enough though. Woo hoo case closed.

sweet now i have to get on that... :( that is what i was afraid of. im too lazy to fix that... so was it the intermediate shaft bearing or the passenger drive axle?

shake shake shake

shake shake shake

shake upon acceleration classic inner cv joint mine did the same thing
i test drove it with the problem mine was the r inner joint but its esier to change the whole axle. the guy i bought it from thought it was the motor mount

motor mount quick check roll down windows e brake on put car in first pop clutch dont stall and listen for noise ect even better have some one watch the engine for excessive noise check in first and reverse.

thats the old skool way.

Mine is getting worse IMO.

Like if i have not traction it won't do it Nor will it do it with shavedsvt in the car Why idk.

Anyway video did not pick it up.

Think i will do plugs and wires.

I am thinking tie rod?

It may not seem like much in your hands todd but imagine the applied load when the car is under load driving. Good find though enjoy a smooth ride again.

I'm reviving this thread in regards to a shaking one of my cars is experiencing. It is different from the original post but the info is useful.

The vibration is not noticeable while going slow but becomes severe at 60-65mph. It shakes the wheel left and right, the car shakes, and it just feels unsafe. It does not matter if the motor is under load. It only relates to speed. I had the car up on a lift and it did the exact same thing. Smooth until around 60-65 then it shakes. I noticed a lot of slop on the rear RR so i poly filled it and am still getting the same thing. I also swapped front wheels and tires from another svt that does not have this condition to rule out wheels and tires.

I would like to rule out axles because ive had them go bad before and i know what that feels like and this is different. All tie rod ends have no slop, the wheel bearings show no slop, the ball joints are tight, and the LCAs appear to have good bushings still. I'm going to inspect the front RR this weekend. Any other advice??

Back