• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My car is shaking!

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
Ok I don't know what is going on. When I accelerate my shakes pretty bad. It only shakes when power is applied. My is maintained very well. Newer LCAs, tie rods, end links, wheel bearings replace 1.5 years ago. All motor mounts look ok. I have replaced the rear and the front has an ES insert. I thought maybe the trans mount bolt snapped like some do but it looks ok. Anyone have axles go goofy. Car makes no noises. I have swapped out wheels and nothing changes. As soon as I let off throttle the car is smooth as glass.:shrug::help:

does it shake when you rev it in neutral with the car stopped? im assuming no, but i thought i'd ask to narrow things down :)

edit: i thought you were the contour god. how can you not find an easy problem like this?!

Ok I don't know what is going on. When I accelerate my shakes pretty bad. It only shakes when power is applied. My is maintained very well. Newer LCAs, tie rods, end links, wheel bearings replace 1.5 years ago. All motor mounts look ok. I have replaced the rear and the front has an ES insert. I thought maybe the trans mount bolt snapped like some do but it looks ok. Anyone have axles go goofy. Car makes no noises. I have swapped out wheels and nothing changes. As soon as I let off throttle the car is smooth as glass.:shrug::help:
This what I suspect. The insert or rear mount is causing the vibration which gets worse with engine load.

I am having the same issue! just went from a solid rear mount to a brand new stock rear mount and mine is doing the exact same thing.

does it feel like a wheel is gonna come off? on mine the whole car shakes side to side seemingly. It gets faster with every gear change. at about 55-60 mph it stops and off i go. if i keep the revs below 2K rpm it isnt too bad but gets worse with higher rpm and is compounded when i change gears.

sound familiar?

any help? i have inspected all mounts and checked the suspension. my only concern is the front mount but that should not have this large of an effect.

It feels drive shaft related but I do not have any unusual noise. just the vibration.

I am having the same issue! just went from a solid rear mount to a brand new stock rear mount and mine is doing the exact same thing.

does it feel like a wheel is gonna come off? on mine the whole car shakes side to side seemingly. It gets faster with every gear change. at about 55-60 mph it stops and off i go. if i keep the revs below 2K rpm it isnt too bad but gets worse with higher rpm and is compounded when i change gears.

sound familiar?

any help? i have inspected all mounts and checked the suspension. my only concern is the front mount but that should not have this large of an effect.

It feels drive shaft related but I do not have any unusual noise. just the vibration.

yours is possibly a bad wheel bearing

oh well. Ill see what todras comes up with. It goes fine on the highway for now. that is all i really need it for. just got back from a 1100 mile trip and didnt have any problems once i got up to 60mph. went 75 the whole way.

Yeah I've ridden in it, and it doesn't make sense. It shakes when you accelerate and if you let off the throttle, it really is smooth as glass. I know he is swapping out an axle tonight, so we'll see what happens.

Not sure if it is the mount - I've got a front ES mount that I sleeved and modified so it would be even tighter along with a stock rear. I have a slight vibration from the motor, but it goes away at any rpm over idle. I'm wondering what affect a Nautilus solid rear mount will have when I install it later this month...

I partly made this post to help others if they have an issue. I'm going to start with the trans. mount since that's easiest. Then I'll move onto the driver side axle. I've always had a slight vibration from the stiff front mount. Just one of those things that is a byproduct.

Back