• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Injector questions. Going from 17# to...?

2000 svt green returnless fuel rail and fuel line connections
12-3-09011.jpg

12-3-09014.jpg

pitch and direction of fuel rail/injector, same order ('95, '98, '00)
12-3-09017.jpg

12-3-09016.jpg

12-3-09015.jpg

Ok, so I have a SVT 19# orange E0 return injector harness pulled from a JY svt. I also have a SVT 19# orange E1 return injector harness pulled from a 3-99 build date svt. Everyone talks about not being able to use an E1 return injector harness on a E0 and vise-versa. WHY?????? Everything I could see from the two is the same, so someone chime in and enlighten me if you want.

E0 return injector harness
12-3-09018.jpg

12-3-09019.jpg

12-3-09022.jpg

E1 return injector harness
12-3-09021.jpg

12-3-09023.jpg

12-3-09020.jpg

Anyway, back on topic. The 1995 V6 and orange SVT injectors both have the EV1 connection ends. Here is a return style SVT injector harness showing the difference in having a '95 V6 injector in the place of a 19# return SVT injector. Imagine this setup but with a '95 harness and all SVT injectors instead of the '98 harness because I havn't gotten that far or taken pics of it yet.

12-3-09028.jpg

12-3-09029.jpg

And here is a MOSH special SVT vac operated secondaries LIM. He did the conversion and sent it to me. The pic below is a standard SVT LIM with IMRC run secondaries.
12-3-09030.jpg

12-3-09031.jpg

12-3-09032.jpg

12-3-09033.jpg

Ok, so I have a SVT 19# orange E0 return injector harness pulled from a JY svt. I also have a SVT 19# orange E1 return injector harness pulled from a 3-99 build date svt. Everyone talks about not being able to use an E1 return injector harness on a E0 and vise-versa. WHY?????? Everything I could see from the two is the same, so someone chime in and enlighten me if you want.

I dont know why either. I have an E1 harness on my E0, and it works just fine. The injector harnesses are the same for all return style cars, the ECU harness is different from E0 to E1 due to PATS i believe.

I dont know why either. I have an E1 harness on my E0, and it works just fine. The injector harnesses are the same for all return style cars, the ECU harness is different from E0 to E1 due to PATS i believe.

just the injector harness or every harness?

It looks like just the injector harness is the same. The main engine wire harness, because of PATS, is different.

It looks like just the injector harness is the same. The main engine wire harness, because of PATS, is different.

yes, that was what I was getting at. so off shoot on the question, would the injector harness from a 99 work on a 95? where does the harness for the secondary solenoid come from?

Electronic secondaries are controlled from the injector harness. There has got to be a way to use the return style svt injector harness on a '95. It actually might work because a '95 isn't looking for a electrical signal for the secondaries...... Just spin the injector harness clips 180* and it might be good to go. :shrug:

That solenoid is off of chassis harness. I am using the 02 cougar harness but I am having problems with it. I haven't chased the issue down yet but perhaps it's because of that pats, the only extra wires on the '02 harness were the ones that went to the IMRC box, I assumed that entire connector was for it perhaps I was wrong and one of them is for the pats (?).

Anyone know exactly how pats kills the injector signal? cuts the ground off?

I don't believe you are correct on the connector for the electronic secondaries/IMRC. Sure, the signal for them to open originally will come from the main engine harness, but the connection point of harness to IMRC is on the injector harness.

So the question is, can you use a svt return style injector harness on a '95 and just leave the IMRC whip alone(not plugged in to anything)? That is for Brapple's own situation, not really what I am doing here. Good question none the less.

1999 svt return injector harness, you can see the gray connector on the bottom right of the pic for the IMRC.

Parts011.jpg

My car has started with the 02 harness, with that connector cut off. The biggest/only difference between the two harnesses is that third connector, a few wires are switched around on the two main connectors however. On the 95 the third small connector is for the o2 sensor so you have to make an extender for that. From what I can tell that imrc wires are their own little 'mini harness' just embedded into the injector harness.

Brian-

I am only talking about the injector harness. As for the 95 harness, that I dont know. The IMRC connector comes off the injector harness, so that would be different. You would need to check the pinouts at the 3 connectors near cylinder 1 to see if the rest of the wires match up. I would guess it wouldnt just be a plug and play.

As for the 02 cougar on the 95, I dont see how that would even come close without a ton of modification. The 02 will be returnless, so on top of EV6 connectors for the injectors, you also have a FP sensor on the fuel rail. I would think the pinouts for the 3 connectors would be very different. Why wouldn't you have used a return style harness?

When I repaired my harnesses, I used an E1 injector harness out of the box, just plugged it in. When i did the ECU harness, I took the E1 harness, unwrapped it, and then took the wires out of the E0 harness that were bad and put wires from the E1 harness in there place. Some key differences I noticed, the Crank and Cam sensors on the E0 were shielded pair, small gauge wire that was in a sheath with stranded shield, but the E1 only had this on the crank sensor. The cam was still shielded, but it was 2 wires that had a third wrapping around them, all insulated.

one other thing i am not sure of, but the switch from mecatronic to bosch ABS was done from E0 to E1, so it is possible there is wiring differences there, as well.

You are correct, the oxygen sensor connection would be different. Easy as splicing the correct connector onto the harness or getting a different o2 sensor probably.

Awesome info ^^^^^^^^ !
Indeed it is, i might just end up keeping my coog harness.

Although, mine doesnt have the 02 sensor harness... maybe if you could give more info on what you did Nate?
As for the 02 cougar on the 95, I dont see how that would even come close without a ton of modification. The 02 will be returnless, so on top of EV6 connectors for the injectors, you also have a FP sensor on the fuel rail. I would think the pinouts for the 3 connectors would be very different. Why wouldn't you have used a return style harness?

Does a harness know if a car is return or return-less though?

Plus, when i got my Cougar lower intake manifold/harness "kit" i got a return fuelrail with it... and ev6 injector plugs,and the 01+ coil pack plug.

Other than joes fuel rail sensor, what would prevent one from using this harness? I mean changing to ev6 injectors or using an adapter and splicing the coil pack harness isn't a big deal.

In Spain I bought a ST200 rail and it is return and have the green injectors (returnless style) :O

Other question... I have the Bosch 0-280-155-715 22.45 LBS/HR. Are it good for my NP intercooled turbo kit for 7-8 PSI (260-300hp)?

Thread revival here......

I'm going to swap the 19# injectors in this winter if I can find someone that can put tunes on my SCT eliminator chip. Does NPG do chip tunes for 3L OBDI?

Back