• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heel and Toe Downshift... Can you do it in your CSVT?

Wouldn't the throttle hang that Contours have kinda be the same thing? Once your foot is off the gas to brake, engine revs don't go down right away giving you time to clutch and shift.

I hate the throttle hang but when I tried the mod for it I couldn't get an acceptable idle so had to live with it.

Wouldn't the throttle hang that Contours have kinda be the same thing? Once your foot is off the gas to brake, engine revs don't go down right away giving you time to clutch and shift.

I hate the throttle hang but when I tried the mod for it I couldn't get an acceptable idle so had to live with it.
:nonono:not so much

Couple things:
1. No, that's not the same thing at all...the point is to raise the engine revs to its corresponding speed in the lower gear, not to simply prevent them from dropping. You know you've done it properly if you don't feel any snatch when you let the clutch back out.
2. Did you reset the PCM when you did the mod? The idle will hunt for a minute after you install the cap since you are severely changing its expected flow. If you gave it time to settle itself down and still had a problem, you probably made the hole too small or have other intake issues.

Couple things:
1. No, that's not the same thing at all...the point is to raise the engine revs to its corresponding speed in the lower gear, not to simply prevent them from dropping. You know you've done it properly if you don't feel any snatch when you let the clutch back out.
2. Did you reset the PCM when you did the mod? The idle will hunt for a minute after you install the cap since you are severely changing its expected flow. If you gave it time to settle itself down and still had a problem, you probably made the hole too small or have other intake issues.
ha ha ha YOU SAID SNATCH ha ha ha:laugh:

thanx. it didnt look difficult. i should be able to get the hang of it really quick. i'm gonna take the mario andretti classes out here and see what they offer.

i generally dont like to toot my own horn but, (hoot hoot);). took the car out finally yesterday. piece of cake. my foot's big enough to use the left side for the brakes and the right side for tapping the gas without having to move my foot anywhere:). obviously, others have also. nice.

I always found the pedal placement odd in the contour. My feet are too big to do properly. Eventually I was able to roll my ankle and use the side of my foot to blip the throttle.

Thats pretty much what i had to do. I also found my legs to be too long to really heel-toe properly in the contour.

I can do it really well in the Cobra though.

I should have mentioned the importance of proper seating position earlier. If you have your seat way back and your steering wheel all the way or most of the way down, your going to have trouble doing a good heal toe downshift. If you are unsure if your seating position is correct, try the next few things. Put your palms against the top of your steering wheel and attempt to firmly push your shoulders into your seatback. If you can't firmly push your shoulders into your seatback, your seat is too far back and/or reclined too much. If your steering wheel hits your legs, it is probabley too far down. Correct seating position will allow you to control the car properly. Most people are suprised how much crappy seating position hurts car control. Try moving your seat and seatback up toward the steering wheel for a day. You may just like it.

I could do it in my Protege MP3 because the console down there was further away from the gas pedal. In the svt my heel hits the side of console down there. Plus I need to put the sturrin wheel too far up in the svt to even get my knee over that its not right to drive. I just blip the throttle, match rpm release clutch and go back on brake. I've gotten just as fast this way as heel toe.

so now i can get the car into the right gear for the corner without losing speed and transfering all the weight to the front wheels. Next i need to practice this.. http://www.rallyracingnews.com/lfb.html . with this and a torsen..looks like corners just went to a whole new level of fun..G.

Yeah, but that aint the gangsta way to drive, sheesh. :nonono:

Yea, but we can get to Yankee stadium in time to get a hot dog and a beer, find our seats and see the first pitch.

The kids have learned to grab onto the door handles in preparation for some lateral G's when they feel the car under braking. They've gotten really good at not coloring outside the lines during cornering and they don't even mind that the radio plays only Christian music.

-Tim-

or you can get the new Nissan 370 and it does it for you:crazy: heal toe that is

or you can get the new Nissan 370 and it does it for you:crazy: heal toe that is

I still haven't driven a new z. I'm sure it's pretty cool, but I've never liked abs, abm, dst, ayc, ect. I like to drive the car. I don't want any stinking computers stealing the driving experience.

I have been driving stick for a while. It is almost natural to me. Maybe I just have big feet???

I made a commitment to heel/toe on every downshift for the rest of my life. It is coming slowly but I have had some success and am getting much better. I don't feel like a spastic so much any more.

The Autovation pedals helped a lot. Thanks for the tip Ben!

One benefit I'm finding is that it is teaching me, almost forcing me to brake later than I used to. Braking normally (before learning heel/toe) means braking way before the turn. If I do this and also heel/toe downshift, it puts the car in a lower gear too soon and then the lower gear has to be ridden out up to the turn. Now I can go deep, confident in knowing I can get the car into the proper gear for the exit at any time with just a simple blip-click. Coordinating the timing of letting off the clutch is still a little sloppy at times but I'm not worried; it will come with practice.

And it just sounds -so- cool.

-Tim-

i constantly heel toe no matter what car im in lol. weather it be my element or the mystique. Except i use the arch of my foot on the brake and i use the right side of my foot to blip the throttle. Makes downshifting on hills and such soo much smoother. plus i figure that its less wear on the clutch cause your matching the revs.

Back