• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heel and Toe Downshift... Can you do it in your CSVT?

I think you misunderstand me :shrug:I have no problem with rev matching or throttle blip shifting :cool:and as far as making a trans last longer most of gearbox's have had well in excess of 200k :shocked::dizzy: .maybe I'am jealous as I'am somewhat duckfooted:blackeye: just saying it's not required to get there
Point taken, most properly handled drivetrains will go through a clutch or two before the synchros really suffer. However I will have to object again, but only because you're posting this on a board of enthusiasts who's vehicle of choice has a reputation for throwing the 3rd gear synchro in considerably less time.

~Mike~

Point taken, most properly handled drivetrains will go through a clutch or two before the synchros really suffer. However I will have to object again, but only because you're posting this on a board of enthusiasts who's vehicle of choice has a reputation for throwing the 3rd gear synchro in considerably less time.

~Mike~
ok but not mine:laugh:smoooth like butta :drool: when warmed up of coarse:rolleyes:

All the talk of 3 liter engines and superchargers and such... I figure why not mod the driver?

You would think that a guy with a Bob Bondurant book autographed by Chip Robinson and Jackie Stewart would actually know how to shift a car. DOH!

You guys rock.

-Tim-

The driver mod is the very best mod. A good thing about it is that you can use it on every car.

I'm only having that problem with one of my grasshoppers right now. There are many better instructors than me, but I've been told that I make a big difference by several people. My brother turns 15 next month. When he gets his permit, I'll have him autocrossing in no time. He'll be my prodigy grasshopper if I can help it.

how do you want it done? you can rotate your ankle and do it correctly or you can do it the lazy way and use the sides of your feet.

shoes you say? save up, find a sale and buy some pumas. if you learn with pumas youll be able to do it with any shoe. or none.

i enjoy driving bare foot for the simple fact that i can feel everything the pedal is doing. the thinner the shoe sole the more feel from the pedal you get.

if anyone is looking for a sweet shoe that is stylish and very comfortable yet perfect for driving look up "Lonsdale London" i have 7 pairs and they are the most comfortable shoes ever.

I can heel toe in the Model A since the petal arrangment is pretty different. But I've haven't goten it down yet in the tour.

FYI driving barefoot is not legal in some areas

this is true. most everywhere it is illegal. it is also illegal in most of those areas to drive in sandals. i find it safer to drive bare foot than wear sandals so i take them off. but i can still heel and toe in sandals as well so it really doesnt matter to me either way.

this is true. most everywhere it is illegal. it is also illegal in most of those areas to drive in sandals. i find it safer to drive bare foot than wear sandals so i take them off. but i can still heel and toe in sandals as well so it really doesnt matter to me either way.
you don't wear socks with your sandals do you:shrug: because that should be illegal also:crazy:

what u guys are talking about sounds like jibberish to my ears. what exactly is heel toe pedal manipulation? is it a trick that makes the car go faster or sumthn? according to what this thread brings out, its a way of downshifting. how is that a driver mod? or am i wrong on that?

what u guys are talking about sounds like jibberish to my ears. what exactly is heel toe pedal manipulation? is it a trick that makes the car go faster or sumthn? according to what this thread brings out, its a way of downshifting. how is that a driver mod? or am i wrong on that?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rmance/features_classic_cars/quick_feet_video

practicing and/or learning how to do something better with instruction is a modification; sometimes the most cost-efficient upgrade you can make.

practice makes perfect when downshifting. i h&t virtually every downshift.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rmance/features_classic_cars/quick_feet_video

practicing and/or learning how to do something better with instruction is a modification; sometimes the most cost-efficient upgrade you can make.

practice makes perfect when downshifting. i h&t virtually every downshift.

hmmm. thanx for the link. interesting... i guess i'll start practicing this and see what difference it makes. the only time i seem to downshift is when i need to go faster.

Simply put, heel and toe is a technique for driving a car faster with less damage to the machine. It requires no modifications to the car but the driver does have to take some time to learn it, hence the reference to "Driver mod".

For a good introduction to driving techniques and skills, I would recommend the book "Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving."

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Bondurant...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231457732&sr=1-1

Mine is autographed by Jackie Stewart, Jeoff Brabham, Scott Pruitt, etc. Deosn't make me faster but it is cool to show off.

-Tim-

Simply put, heel and toe is a technique for driving a car faster with less damage to the machine. It requires no modifications to the car but the driver does have to take some time to learn it, hence the reference to "Driver mod".

For a good introduction to driving techniques and skills, I would recommend the book "Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving."

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Bondurant...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231457732&sr=1-1

Mine is autographed by Jackie Stewart, Jeoff Brabham, Scott Pruitt, etc. Deosn't make me faster but it is cool to show off.

-Tim-
thanx. it didnt look difficult. i should be able to get the hang of it really quick. i'm gonna take the mario andretti classes out here and see what they offer.

Back