• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ford racing SVT focus brake kit

having never seen the fsvt calipers, how r they different than the svt calipers? i assume the fsvt are single piston? do they look cooler? have svt engraved on them? hold more brake fluid? why the need to use the fsvt caliper if our stock svt calipers will handle the fsvt rotors with the npg bracket.

having never seen the fsvt calipers, how r they different than the svt calipers? i assume the fsvt are single piston? do they look cooler? have svt engraved on them? hold more brake fluid? why the need to use the fsvt caliper if our stock svt calipers will handle the fsvt rotors with the npg bracket.

it might be that the fsvt caliper would use the whole rotor face, kinda like the E0 calipers instead of just part as when you use the stock caliper with the NPG kit

Because I don't trust the NPG brackets. I'd rather have the new loaded Motorcraft calipers that were made for this application that I can get for cheaper than some brackets that have caused others trouble in the past, and have a giant warning under them on NPG's website.

Because I don't trust the NPG brackets. I'd rather have the new loaded Motorcraft calipers that were made for this application that I can get for cheaper than some brackets that have caused others trouble in the past, and have a giant warning under them on NPG's website.

the bracket is seriously over designed, which is a good thing in this case. only one other person had issues and it was because the install wasn't correct. they did have cars with the kit running for a year before any kits where sold.

and of course there is a disclaimer. they obviously are not approved by anybody so they have to have a warning. you honestly can't say you have never used a off-road use part on a vehicle that is on the road? all it means is it isn't DOT approved.

also what does a new caliper have to do with this anyway? to use either the NPG kit or the FSVT rotors you are changing the caliper bracket.

So let me get this straight? I can go on rockauto, buy loaded FSVT Motorcraft calipers for a 2004 FSVT, and the mounting bolts for >$100 shipped, then source some rotors and 3mm hardened washers, and I've got a BBK? Is there any difference between the years? It looks like I can get 2004 stuff for way cheaper than 2003. When I look at the NPG site, they show brackets being included in their kit for some reason.

I just looked into this. Those do NOT come with the caliper brackets. That is the only part of the Focus SVT setup that is hard to source without paying a fortune to get.

Advance has the same part so I called them and they said no bracket is included. I'm now waiting for RockAuto to confirm that this is the case for me...

I just looked into this. Those do NOT come with the caliper brackets. That is the only part of the Focus SVT setup that is hard to source without paying a fortune to get.

Advance has the same part so I called them and they said no bracket is included. I'm now waiting for RockAuto to confirm that this is the case for me...

The FSVT calipers have a mounting or anchor bracket that is an integral part of the caliper itself, just like the stock contour caliper. If you buy the FSVT caliper directly through Ford service, you will always get the entire caliper, including the anchor bracket. Before you make a definitive statement about the rebuilt calipers that Advance or RockAuto sell, someone should go take a look at them and first verify they are actually FSVT calipers, and not standard Focus calipers (big difference) and whether they are complete calipers or not. If they look ready to bolt to the knuckle, they are complete, if they look like you need to slide the caliper onto the slide pins, and add the spring clip to complete it, then it isn't complete.

For CSVT owners making the swap, the FSVT anchor bracket is THE key part you need. The calipers themselves are only different in minor details from the CSVT calipers. You can take the FSVT anchor bracket portion of the caliper, and install the CSVT caliper body onto it, and with some minor clearancing of the backing plates, you can even use the FSVT pads (the FSVT pad profile is more like the E0 pad, but the extra surface area doesn't improve brake torque any, so don't feel like you're missing out if you don't use them). I know because I've been running them on my car this way for years, even long before Pete hit it :D.

The rep at rock auto looked into it for me and said it was the caliper itself and the pads, no bracket. After I got off the phone with him, I then called advance because they showed the same part number listed. They confirmed as well that it was the caliper and pads, no mounting bracket.

Now, I then called the Ford dealership and talked to them and he said all FSVTcalipers he showed in the system included the mounting bracket so in theory, according to him, this should have it.

I dunno, kind of a crapshoot if you ask me. Might get lucky and it might just be the caliper or may be out the shipping charges and have to send it back.

Anyone want to be the guinea pig? ;)

Why not just find a local parts store that has them in stock and take a look?

I know that every loaded pair of calipers I ever sold at the parts store came with the brackets and new bolts so they were ready to slide over the rotors and bolt down.

They do not come with brackets. Caliper, pads, bolts, no bracket. I sent a message to Bill J. to see if I could buy the bracket separately.

Ah, good call. Post what you find out. I've been trying to source the brackets with no luck. I have not contacted Bill J. Yet though... He may be able to track something down.

If not, another option may be to try to get a hold of someone at FRPP and see if they can sell the brackets separate... Just a thought...

Ah, good call. Post what you find out. I've been trying to source the brackets with no luck. I have not contacted Bill J. Yet though... He may be able to track something down.

If not, another option may be to try to get a hold of someone at FRPP and see if they can sell the brackets separate... Just a thought...

You won't be able to source the brackets seperately through Ford Service (ie Bill J. or any other Ford dealer) they were never released that way by Ford engineering (a good friend of mine is the one that did the original release). And FRPP doesn't offer the base FSVT brake stuff at all, let alone the caliper brackets by themselves.

are the FSVT calipers superior to the CSVT calipers an any way?

In some minor ways. A little more pad area which will help a little w/ pad life and sweep more of the rotor face to look nicer (no actual stopping power change though) and IIRC there are a few more performance pad options for the FSVT calipers.

If you don't need new calipers already, the warmonger front kit is the way to go. If your calipers are tired, and need to be rebuilt anyway, just buy the FSVT calipers.

Back