• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car dying

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
Last night my mystique kept stalling out and not starting until I let it sit for at least 20 minutes. I had it towed home because it kept stalling out. It would sputter a bit, then just die out no matter how much gas I gave it. The only new code I am reading is P0401, insufficient EGR flow. The other codes in case they may be additional culprits are P0133 - 02 sensor CKT slow response bank1 sensor 1, P0171 - system too lean bank 1, and P0174 - System too lean bank 2. It idled for about 5 minutes this morning and then just died out. Any ideas where to start? Thanks!

EDIT
It feels like someone just turned the key off when it cuts out.

Last edited:
Well today I fought the freezing cold wind since I cannot get the car in the garage currently because it won't rol; through the snow. I pulled a plug wire and plug and checked for spark. It seems to be getting a very weak spark. I'm going to to TRY to put on my new set of wires tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll try the coil pack next.

.. Any ideas where to start? ...
Start by fixing the issues related to the codes that you know.

1) Change the Bank 1 (firewall side) Upper O2 sensor.
2) Vacuum loss. Check for broken, leaking vacuum hoses. Are any hose clamps loose or missing?
3) Test the EGR and clean the Throttle body.

Start by fixing the issues related to the codes that you know.

1) Change the Bank 1 (firewall side) Upper O2 sensor.
2) Vacuum loss. Check for broken, leaking vacuum hoses. Are any hose clamps loose or missing?
3) Test the EGR and clean the Throttle body.

Will do. The throttle body is spotless, as I just cleaned it about 5 days ago. I replaced all of the vacuum hoses with custom made ones, and I know for a fact that I haven't sealed off the vacuum perfectly. I have a brand new set of plug wires sitting here so I might as well put them on since god knows long the current ones have been on there.

weak spark and the car dies when its warm? i would take out the ignition coil pack/ control module ( on the rear valve cover) and bring it to autozone to get it tested

Will do. I am also going to replace the upstream bank1 o2 sensor that went bad. But first it has to get warmer out or I need to get the car in the garage somehow.

On a whim I put an extra gallon or two of gas in the car today and it immediately started, but it cut out after about a minute and wouldn't start again. I'm thinking at this point that it is the fuel pump. I'm going to try to get it in my garage tonight and get the pump out over the next day or two.

Got the seat out. I got a little disgusted when I saw what was underneath. An old plastic bag, some pens, change, filth, spiderwebs, etc. Then I pulled the rubber thing off the top of the fuel pump and it made the dirtiest cars I've ever seen look clean. There was at least 2mm of dirt covering everything and what looks like rust all around the outer edge of the fuel pump housing. I'm even more scared to see what's inside the tank:eek:. Tomorrow I will clean the housing and then pull the pump to see what lurks beneath.

EDIT: Pictures for those who like them(nevermind the quality, my new camera should be here tomorrow)

Filth
filth3.jpg

filth2.jpg

filth.jpg

The spiderweb is under that piece that is circled in black
spiderweb.jpg

And finally the top of the fuel pump:
pumptop2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I spent an hour changing the fuel filter yesterday. I wish I planned out things better when we pushed it in the garage because I had less than 3 feet between the car and the wall on the passenger side. Try getting a jack, jack stand, and human in there! The fuel that came out of the filter looked pretty dirty but in the end the car still doesn't start. So I checked the pressure valve and sure enough fuel sprayed out. So I am completely confused. Seeing fuel pressure says "Hey maybe I'm not getting a spark." But I am. But then when I pour, say, a gallon of gas in the tank it will start up and run for no more than a minute and then die and not start again. So that says "Maybe the fuel pump pickups are clogged and pouring fuel in stirs it up a bit." But then why is there pressure on the fuel rail!? Finally I think, "Maybe the injectors are not firing!" Which leads to the PCM since I inspected the wiring on the injector harness and all is perfect. But then why the hell does it start when I pour fuel in the tank!? I guess my next method of action should be to get a reading of the fuel pressure, and if all is well, pull the UIM and verify that the injectors are or are not firing.
Anyone else have any clue as to what else I should be checking?

God I feel like I'm logging my efforts just so everyone can follow along like its a boring slow moving movie. Or either A no one cares or B this is really stumping everyone as much as it is me:crazy:

And I guarantee you that when I get her running and I post what the issue was, about 4 people are going to post saying "Yea that's what I thought it was" or "It was obvious.":rolleyes:

So you know what? If no one wants to offer input, then you guys aren't gonna get the solution. Yea... take that:cool:

It is possible (not necessarily likely) but possible that you have an intermittent short on power to the pcm. If this is the case the check engine light won't turn on as you are trying to start the car (and the fuel pump won't prime when the car isn't starting)

Before you pop the intake to look at the injectors though, I'd try and get a number reading on the fuel pressure, see if you can find indications of a clog. It doesn't seem likely that enough of your injectors would spontaneously die so as to keep your car from running pretty much at all.

Well the car turns over very strong. It just won't start up. And like I said. When I pour gas in the tank, it runs for a short while.

Well the car turns over very strong. It just won't start up. And like I said. When I pour gas in the tank, it runs for a short while.
So, put more gas in.

Did you remove the fuel sock when you changed the fuel pump?

Checked the pressure. I have no idea what is "right" so help me out here.

First I relieved all pressure from the fuel rail. With the first turn to "on" the pressure got up to about around 10psi. Each consecutive turn grew the pressure and it finally would not climb past about 51psi after about six primes. Something tells me that first turn should have taken the pressure up higher than 10psi.:shrug:

The "sock" is not inside the pump it is a clothlike thing that attaches outside the pump.

Mike

Checked the pressure. I have no idea what is "right" so help me out here.

First I relieved all pressure from the fuel rail. With the first turn to "on" the pressure got up to about around 10psi. Each consecutive turn grew the pressure and it finally would not climb past about 51psi after about six primes. Something tells me that first turn should have taken the pressure up higher than 10psi.:shrug:

I assume the tank isn't empty. 45 is the psi or so.

Back