• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fastest Contour/Cougar

That's what I was thinking. You want to be winding it out in the last gear as you cross the line, not just getting started in 4th (like with our stock gears).
With the Quaife 3rd gear you could wind it out to 100mph instead of only 90 from the stock 3rd gear.

looking at the technical drawing for the Quaife set, i bet the shafts are the same as stock shafts. aside from being assembled the same way, there is no reason to make them any different than stock. the input shaft splines have to be the same as do the ends for the bearings. they probably are keyed, since the stock shafts are. of course, the only way to know for sure if you could fit the stock 4th and 5th gears would be to either contact Quaife and ask or to buy the gearset and try it.

why do you think it would be silly to use the stock 4th and 5th gears? maybe the stock 4th since it is so close to Quaife 4th, but the Quaife 5th would make you run 3700RPMs at 75MPH, not good for cruising. not to mention you would only drop 1000RPMs when shifting from 4th to 5th.

The stock gears are not keyed. There either pressed on or ride on a needle bearing and held in place with snap rings. The reason quaife would key there gears, is so in higher hp cars and or in racing conditions, the gears dont spin on the shafts, unless there suppose to. I haven't examined there tech drawings in years though. Just going off of memory and discussions.

I didnt mean the ratio, I was talking the physical gears themselves. Using three beefed up strong gears, than having two stock gears. Especialy if you intend to use them for what there meant for.

If you want to play with a custom gearset, I have one I would let go for a reasonable price. Reasonable based on the fact they were over $5k new at the time. Needs some work though. This one the stock gears "may" actually work.

you could easily use the 4 beefed up Quaife gears and just the stock 5th gear. how often would you actually get into 5th gear for something other than cruising anyways. looking back at the brake down of the stock gearset, your correct, they arent keyed, just the pinion gear is keyed. however after looking at the Quaife technical drawings again and reading through the description, i see no indication that theirs are keyed either. if they are indeed keyed, then you would have no choice but to either use the Quaife 5th gear (which would make for horrible HW cruising) or see if they make a 5th gear in the stock ratio.

Well I think they might offer custom ratios, sometimes its only for certain gears though. Again with out looking at the drawings, I think there different.

This thread is just one of those reasons I visit CEG....

Makes my car seem really fast :laugh:

I can't get any traction running 195-70-r14 crap tires on 5.5" wide wheels.... but 12's are still easy when spinning through first second and third, and into forth.

I am more of an acceleration kind of guy, stopping and turning are great and all, but its just not the same thrill to me :shrug:
I guess this is why I never bought a csvt like I wanted to.... well, and where I live everyone and their brother has one.
Don't get me wrong, they are good cars, good looking, good handling, decent brakes, but the acceleration just does not do it for me... even a turbo 3L just wouldn't be enough when you can be lots faster for lots cheaper :shrug:

Maybe I just like being unique? I can't have a car that I see 5 or more of every single day. It does suck though when I have to search for months to find a single part though lol

This thread is just one of those reasons I visit CEG....

Makes my car seem really fast :laugh:

I can't get any traction running 195-70-r14 crap tires on 5.5" wide wheels.... but 12's are still easy when spinning through first second and third, and into forth.

I am more of an acceleration kind of guy, stopping and turning are great and all, but its just not the same thrill to me :shrug:
I guess this is why I never bought a csvt like I wanted to.... well, and where I live everyone and their brother has one.
Don't get me wrong, they are good cars, good looking, good handling, decent brakes, but the acceleration just does not do it for me... even a turbo 3L just wouldn't be enough when you can be lots faster for lots cheaper :shrug:

Maybe I just like being unique? I can't have a car that I see 5 or more of every single day. It does suck though when I have to search for months to find a single part though lol

You see five or more CSVT's every day? And what type of car do you have?

I see maybe 2-3 CSVT's a month..

You see five or more CSVT's every day? And what type of car do you have?

I see maybe 2-3 CSVT's a month..

Brighton, MI and I work in Ann Arbor
There are at least 4-5 csvt owners within minutes of me that I am friends with, and a few people I work with and have worked with have them too, and then there are a bunch of other different ones I have seen around too, some of them are pretty nice, some are pretty beat.

Anyways,

I have a 1977 Celica GT Liftback

andddd I put a 1992 Turbo Supra motor in it ;)
It's fun, really fun

Have you been in one?

Never been in one
I was looking at some horsepower numbers people posted up, and some of the 1/4 mile times in here... and well, I think I finally found some cars that have worse traction than my car lol

With a lowly ~300whp I am running high 12's @ 110mph
should be good for low/mid 12's with some traction
relatively lightweight car
Engine is internally stock- externally it only has a crappy air filter, 2.5" intercooler pipes, and a small intercooler, 3" turboback, no cats.

Only reason I even did any mods to the engine was becasue the stock stuff wouldn't fit into my car lol

Absolutely nobody expects it to be fast, thats the best part :)
It still has a trailer hitch :cool:

I sure wish my car handled like a svt though, or stopped like.... well anything, my brakes are useless at speed

I have the fastest csvt on earth, it runs 9's baby

in the 1/8th:laugh: jk never ran the 1/8th in this car:laugh:

Never been in one
I was looking at some horsepower numbers people posted up, and some of the 1/4 mile times in here... and well, I think I finally found some cars that have worse traction than my car lol

With a lowly ~300whp I am running high 12's @ 110mph
should be good for low/mid 12's with some traction
relatively lightweight car
Engine is internally stock- externally it only has a crappy air filter, 2.5" intercooler pipes, and a small intercooler, 3" turboback, no cats.

Only reason I even did any mods to the engine was becasue the stock stuff wouldn't fit into my car lol

Absolutely nobody expects it to be fast, thats the best part :)
It still has a trailer hitch :cool:

I sure wish my car handled like a svt though, or stopped like.... well anything, my brakes are useless at speed

the high horsepower 3.0L turboed cars will take a LOT of cars from a roll. The reason why the 1/4 mile times suck is because of traction off the line. 1st, 2nd and most of 3rd are useless.

the high horsepower 3.0L turboed cars will take a LOT of cars from a roll. The reason why the 1/4 mile times suck is because of traction off the line. 1st, 2nd and most of 3rd are useless.

I concur 1000000%, I have taken my share of FAST cars from a roll:laugh:

I know what you mean about no traction with them, my traction issues are pretty much the same with my small tires.... my 60' times suck, my 1/8th mile time is not that great... but once it hooks up it holds its own

too bad this forum is so damn strict about posting vids or talking about racing... lots of good kills haha. Too bad I can't tell :(

If anyones turbo csvt wants to head to "Milan Dragway :rolleyes:" with me later this summer, then let me know, would be fun.

Back