• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fastest Contour/Cougar

I Have Both Quaife and Houseman Boxes

I Have Both Quaife and Houseman Boxes

I thought I could help in this conversation. I am very lucky in having 2 complete transaxles. The first one is a complete Quaife straight cut dog box with a Quaife diff. The second is a Houseman synchro gear cluster in a Liberty prepared box with a Quaife diff. The clutch is a Quartermaster 3 plate on an 8 lb flywheel.

My car only has about 290 hp N.A., but the complete Quaife setup works very well. The car uses 235x40x17 Toyo RA1's and seems to have more than enough traction once the tires are hot. I have never run the 1/4 with it, but from a standing start it slips the tires a bit then hooks and goes. The one thing the Quaife dog box gives you is the ability to almost flat shift the car like a bike. A lift of the throttle and BANG into the next gear. The ability to shift faster really allows stronger acceleration and less rpm drop between gears. This gives you a faster 1/4 time.

The down side is that the dogs need to be refaced fairly often to keep it from jumping out of gear. If you need to replace the gears, they run between $300 and $900 a gear. I haven't priced the dog rings yet.

I have little to no torque steer with the car as well. I am in the process of putting the Houseman box back in the car while I have the Quaife rebuilt. I can let you guys know how it works in about a month. I also top out at about 152 mph with the final drive in the car, but thats fast enough for me.

Eric Nummelin

I thought I could help in this conversation. I am very lucky in having 2 complete transaxles. The first one is a complete Quaife straight cut dog box with a Quaife diff. The second is a Houseman synchro gear cluster in a Liberty prepared box with a Quaife diff. The clutch is a Quartermaster 3 plate on an 8 lb flywheel.

My car only has about 290 hp N.A., but the complete Quaife setup works very well. The car uses 235x40x17 Toyo RA1's and seems to have more than enough traction once the tires are hot. I have never run the 1/4 with it, but from a standing start it slips the tires a bit then hooks and goes. The one thing the Quaife dog box gives you is the ability to almost flat shift the car like a bike. A lift of the throttle and BANG into the next gear. The ability to shift faster really allows stronger acceleration and less rpm drop between gears. This gives you a faster 1/4 time.

The down side is that the dogs need to be refaced fairly often to keep it from jumping out of gear. If you need to replace the gears, they run between $300 and $900 a gear. I haven't priced the dog rings yet.

I have little to no torque steer with the car as well. I am in the process of putting the Houseman box back in the car while I have the Quaife rebuilt. I can let you guys know how it works in about a month. I also top out at about 152 mph with the final drive in the car, but thats fast enough for me.

Eric Nummelin

Yeah but what kind of car is all this in?

If you want to see a bit more, need to update the site a bit, go here....

www.nummelinmotorsportgroup.com

I would like to take credit for the car, but it is the ex-Mumm Bros. WC Cougar. They built it all and all I am trying to do is bring it back and get some hot laps in the car. The technology in this car is top notch and little expense was spared. I don't think it would work well as a 1/4 mile car as it is too heavy (about 2450 lbs) and while it plants the tires well, it does try to spit axles and diffs out at its first chance.

Eric Nummelin

Going for really low 11's this year! Lots of work to do...

lots of work as in-
- rebuild motor to be safe, bigger compressor wheel in stock turbo housing(60trim CT26), 550cc injectors... that will get me to 440whp easily
-Slicks
-stitch weld the unibody components, becasue I don't want to add a cage, its just a street car, I don't need that crap in my way lol.

At least people have you beat on the 60' time. :blackeye: Those are all naturally aspirated guys though.

I went back through my old timeslips and I found my best 60' time was 2.1
either way... I am sure someone here has me beat, I need to work on that 60' time, but I am at my traction limit as of now

If you want to see a bit more, need to update the site a bit, go here....

www.nummelinmotorsportgroup.com

I would like to take credit for the car, but it is the ex-Mumm Bros. WC Cougar. They built it all and all I am trying to do is bring it back and get some hot laps in the car. The technology in this car is top notch and little expense was spared. I don't think it would work well as a 1/4 mile car as it is too heavy (about 2450 lbs) and while it plants the tires well, it does try to spit axles and diffs out at its first chance.

Eric Nummelin

I spent a long afternoon one winter talking with Robert in his garage about he cougar. he had just got all the beefed up gearsets from Canada in and was building trannys. He had Mirkos "freshly rebuilt" motor sitting in the corner of tha garage with blown headgaskets, Robert was rather happy about that transaction. That car is awesome I duplicated his AL inserts on my CSVT. Tons of R&D in it, god I wanted one of his spare motors and trans when he sold it.

yes Robert had a hell of a time holding the tranny together. he did say that when the trans would actually stay together and allow him to shift, he could motor by any car on the track. The bimmers and the ITRs had nothing on him.....well trannys that stayed together.
Have fun with it!

Back on the subject of hitting 12's. I'd like to think the supercharger setup I have would perform better at the track for a traction limited car with weak axles. All the power is in the upper rpm. Also the poster talking about eliminating turbo lag which his huge turbo may want to think again. It may help him gain traction before boost kicks in resulting in better times.

The only way to improve my setup or even a turbo setup would be to run different boost levels in different gears as mentioned earlier. Setup a way to detect which gear the transmission is in and then dump pressure over a certain psi in each gear until 3 or 4th roll around and then run full boost. I'd imagine you could hit 12's fairly easy with that setup and save the axles in the process.

Back on the subject of hitting 12's. I'd like to think the supercharger setup I have would perform better at the track for a traction limited car with weak axles. All the power is in the upper rpm. Also the poster talking about eliminating turbo lag which his huge turbo may want to think again. It may help him gain traction before boost kicks in resulting in better times.

The only way to improve my setup or even a turbo setup would be to run different boost levels in different gears as mentioned earlier. Setup a way to detect which gear the transmission is in and then dump pressure over a certain psi in each gear until 3 or 4th roll around and then run full boost. I'd imagine you could hit 12's fairly easy with that setup and save the axles in the process.

u're probably right. the only person i know that has a boost controller with that setup is ryan(ryanblacksvt). am not sure when he plans on installing it tho...

u're probably right. the only person i know that has a boost controller with that setup is ryan(ryanblacksvt). am not sure when he plans on installing it tho...

Its been installed but its a MBC, there is a flight switch and when its up its at 8psi and flip it down and its at 14psi. The next best thing is the ams1000 boost controller which will be had VERY soon:cool: But what I have now is definitly good for the track, I couldnt imagine trying to launch on 14psi:crazy:

Its been installed but its a MBC, there is a flight switch and when its up its at 8psi and flip it down and its at 14psi. The next best thing is the ams1000 boost controller which will be had VERY soon:cool: But what I have now is definitly good for the track, I couldnt imagine trying to launch on 14psi:crazy:

oh. thats the one i thought u had already. the ams1000 one. for a while now, u said u'd be getting it. so i assumed u'd have it by now.

cool. by the way, hope u're feeling better. get this thing installed so i'll know if i wanna spend another grand on SVeTlana;). sick n tired of losing to 150hp cars from a dig:laugh:

hahaha no doubt, thats why I always do it from a roll:cool: and yeah my back is still realllly hurting but it will be good in time. It will be a few months till I buy the ams1000 though

You might want to look at the AMS 500 Ryan. I'll probably be getting that for my Mustang. I just want 2 boost settings (7-10# for the street/15-20# for the track) and the ability to ramp it in on the track. Unless you need the other options the 500 is cheaper and a dealer on turbomustangs has a great deal, PM if you're interested.
-J

Back