• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

F1 Stage 2 Pics

RFcsvt

Veteran CEG'er
Here are some pics of the kit. There was some discussion about this so I figured I would start a new thread with pics.
Let me know what you think. So far it looks good to me.

Attachments

• DSC_0150..JPG
    DSC_0150..JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0157..JPG
    DSC_0157..JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0155..JPG
    DSC_0155..JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0154..JPG
    DSC_0154..JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0152..JPG
    DSC_0152..JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 0
why in the world would they cage one side of the springs but not the other? also the open side of the springs appears to be the same design as the spec clutches that are popping springs .....

frictions material area and mounting to the hub look like stock. actually it looks worse. stock is samwiched and this one isn't

DSC05353.JPG

Attachments

• DSC05353..JPG
    DSC05353..JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ya know, when I flipped the disk over I was wondering why one side wasn't covered. I still don't have my stock clutch out, but I'll definitely do a side by side once I do.

picture I posted above is a stock OEM SVT clutch thats new.

looks like F1 just copied every design out there and put something together ..... i would say this would make me not want to purchase a clutch kit from them.

So it's most likely a copy with possibly different friction material. They claim it to be carbonized kevlar. I can see orange-yellow in the material, but it looks very close to the stock clutch. Well I guess we'll see in a month what it feels like installed. I gotta give it a try. I'll keep my stock setup around until this is broken in, just in case.

I suggest you go to a machine shop and have your flywheel resurfaced. Old flywheel with new clutch kit is not the best idea..

well the back side spring windows being open is an epic fail, even though only half of the spring enclosure is as open as the stock SVT disk everybody seems to think is so amazing.

as far as the friction material goes, it looks to be a lot like any other "carbon kevlar" disk you can find a pic of with an image search of google. the marcel spring they've used appears to be much stronger though, and it looks like they used more rivets to hold the two together. that could be good or bad, depending on how well whatever binder they used in the friction material holds together.

what does concern me a little is that if you look through the "crack" where the fulcrum pivot is riveted to the cover of the pressure plate, it appears that the cover stamping was painted with the diaphragm spring and fulcrum in place, which hopefully doesn't mean this is just an SVT LUK pressure plate with some rattle can on it.

if you could, when you get your SVT PP out, get a side by side photo showing how far the diaphragm fingers protrude past the cover stamping on each. with luck the F1 unit will stick out further. if not, also try to get a caliper measurement of both. I'm really wanting to know if they really upgraded the clamp load like they claim to have...

well the back side spring windows being open is an epic fail, even though only half of the spring enclosure is as open as the stock SVT disk everybody seems to think is so amazing.

as far as the friction material goes, it looks to be a lot like any other "carbon kevlar" disk you can find a pic of with an image search of google. the marcel spring they've used appears to be much stronger though, and it looks like they used more rivets to hold the two together. that could be good or bad, depending on how well whatever binder they used in the friction material holds together.

what does concern me a little is that if you look through the "crack" where the fulcrum pivot is riveted to the cover of the pressure plate, it appears that the cover stamping was painted with the diaphragm spring and fulcrum in place, which hopefully doesn't mean this is just an SVT LUK pressure plate with some rattle can on it.

if you could, when you get your SVT PP out, get a side by side photo showing how far the diaphragm fingers protrude past the cover stamping on each. with luck the F1 unit will stick out further. if not, also try to get a caliper measurement of both. I'm really wanting to know if they really upgraded the clamp load like they claim to have...

I will do the PP comparison hopefully by this weekend. I guess I'm not sure how concerned I am with the spring windows, the LUK springs are not enclosed and they don't fly out. But on the other hand I don't know what may have caused the spec failures, so I'm not totally sure what to think.

I'm fairly sure what caused the spec failures was that the steel they used for the disk hub was weaker than even the stock stuff, that or people expected to be able to treat a stage 3 clutch like it was a stage 3 clutch.

at any rate, determining the metallurgy of the disk hub would require quite a bit of sciencing, sciencing that the two of us probably dont have the tools to brew up.

Right on. I was just reading the spec failure thread and it does sound like the materials. I guess I'm not too worried, I'm only doing a full n/a 3L.

Says the guy who recommended the clutch.

Says the guy who recommended the clutch.

true, but I'm not specifically biased either way, and I'm still planning on getting one. that is unless RF has some catastrophic failure with his, which I doubt unless for some reason their stuff took a dump since I read todras liking his. that is exactly what spec did though...

I'm going to see if I can did up were tod was talking about having one...

true, but I'm not specifically biased either way,

yeah right :rolleyes:. F1 clutch this, F1 clutch that .... your running this think up and down like your their ••••• and you don't even own one or ohave driven one.

the stock SVT disk everybody seems to think is so amazing.
.... look at the track record, the stock clutch works for most people, period.

this F1 clutch looks like a cobbled together peice of ••••. i do believe CSVT#49 said in his group buy thread when picking between F1 and Clutchnet that F1 was an off shoot, a former employee of clutchnet. Its clean they just picked some parts of designs of other clutches and threw it together ....

Last edited:
Definitely looks like a cross between the clutchnet and stock clutch. The closed windows are identical to clutchnet's design, and the more open windows are identical to the stock design. That's embarrassing.

I believe the closed spring side is larger then the clutchnet disk. also the open side is like the spec design. the southbend clutches on sho source look like stock spring cages.

attachment.php

it also used dual springs like the spec and stock where as the clutch net only used single springs.

true, but I'm not specifically biased either way, and I'm still planning on getting one. that is unless RF has some catastrophic failure with his, which I doubt unless for some reason their stuff took a dump since I read todras liking his. that is exactly what spec did though...

I'm going to see if I can did up were tod was talking about having one...

I would be interested to see what todras has to say if he has some miles on this clutch. I want to give this clutch a shot, even if it is a knock-off. Now if todras says his exploded after a few months I'll probably exchange it for a stock setup, but I would definitely want to hear a horror story first.

Oh and thanks to everyone for their opinions. I'm definitely learning a lot about choosing a clutch.

Back