• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Energy Suspension Rear C.A.B.(Bushing)Set

Before you attempt changing those bushings, let me give you a word of advice. I changed mine not too long ago, and the only way you will finish this correctly is if you have an air compressor with an air hammer with chisel attachment.

Incorrect statement. I used a hydraulic press and it's much better than an air hammer as it puts less strain on the knuckle casting. It does require removing the knuckle from the car though. It's why I have a complete set of frt & rr spares.

few questions now.

can the ES bushings be removed once they are installed?

how hard would it be to just hammer them in?

will I need two sets to replace all of the bushings in the back?

is my trailing arm supposed to have a slight bend to it?

I believe they are press in bushings so no they won't be easily removable after the install and they probably will need more than a hammer to press them in. As for how many bushings come in a pack I never know with ES. Sometimes you get exactly what it says and other times you get bonus bushings for surrounding parts too. And yes it should have a slight bend.

thanks man, that clears things up for me. I'd like to have my rear arms boxed in, and I suspect welding on them with the ES bushings already installed would destroy the bushings with heat, so I guess I need to get a set of back up arms and go ahead and get them welded before I get the bushings...

think a gear puller could be adapted to press them in?

thanks man, that clears things up for me. I'd like to have my rear arms boxed in, and I suspect welding on them with the ES bushings already installed would destroy the bushings with heat, so I guess I need to get a set of back up arms and go ahead and get them welded before I get the bushings...

think a gear puller could be adapted to press them in?

Possibly. Personally I use a bench vice, grease and sockets when I need bushings pressed in or out since I don't know anyone with a press.

so I'm looking for a set of these and not finding a whole lot.

what I did find is this:

2002 Mercury Cougar V6 6 Cyl.2.5 L
Fit Note Not Mfr Data - Derived from OE - Match to Original~REAR SET - BLACK~OE: F5RZ5A638A -~- Control Arm Bushing Or Kit

the ad shows one stock photo of a bunch of red bushings, but then also a picture of four bushings in black. it says there are four of them, so I assume the pic of the black ones is the right pic.

my question is, are the red bushings hard ones and the black ones the stock a-shore rating?

thanks in advance for the help...

[edit] also, did we ever find out what the deal is with the toe arm bushings? the rear CAB set is for the primary lateral arm, correct? so if the toe arm takes two of the smaller bushings, does that mean I'd have to buy three sets of bushings to do all 4 lateral arms?

would doing the trailing arms make a difference? if so, what bushings does that take? I'm going to go outside real quick and take a closer look at the back suspension...

hey, just found this page, has both black and red and they have different part numbers. also, odly enough, red is cheaper. also odly enough, the moog sway bar bushings are cheaper than the red or black ES ones. any idea whats up with this pricing?

also, can anybody confirm the part numbers they have listed there?

http://www.partstrain.com/store/?Ntt=bushing&submit_search.x=48&submit_search.y=10

Brand: Energy Susp
Color/Finish: Red
Quantity Sold: Enough for all rear control arms
Bushing Material: Polyurethane

PART#: E1243154R MFR#: 4.3154R

List Price: $15.86

Our Price: $13.44

You Save: $2.42

Brand: Energy Susp
Color/Finish: Black
Quantity Sold: Enough for all rear control arms
Bushing Material: Polyurethane

PART#: E1243154G MFR#: 4.3154G

List Price: $19.05

Our Price: $16.14

You Save: $2.91

the part number isnt different between the black and red ones. that is how ES shows what color you get, that last letter, R for red, G for black. not sure why the cost difference though.

the part number isnt different between the black and red ones. that is how ES shows what color you get, that last letter, R for red, G for black. not sure why the cost difference though.

From what I remember, the reds are standard, and the blacks contain self lubricating graphite.

From what I remember, the reds are standard, and the blacks contain self lubricating graphite.

no, red and black are the exact same formulation. the only difference is the color according to the ES PDF catalog i downloaded the other day.

Red is usually cheaper because places stock the red parts. I've always had to special order things in black.

no, red and black are the exact same formulation. the only difference is the color according to the ES PDF catalog i downloaded the other day.

Question: What is the difference between the Energy Suspension® red and black polyurethane components?

Answer: Both are our Energy's HYPER-FLEX™ performance polyurethane formulations. Energy has impregnated selected black polyurethane components with graphite to add a lubrication property. Additionally, both Energy Suspension® red and black polyurethane components are engineered differently than OEM rubber components to be free a floating and non-binding design. This allows for the additional durometer (firmness) of the components, which adds to the performance improvement of the vehicle overall. Through its 25 years of design and formulation of polyurethane, Energy's polyurethane components are the best on the market today.

http://www.energysuspension.com/energy-tech/frequently-asked-questions.html

Question: What is the difference between the Energy Suspension® red and black polyurethane components?

Answer: Both are our Energy's HYPER-FLEX™ performance polyurethane formulations. Energy has impregnated selected black polyurethane components with graphite to add a lubrication property. Additionally, both Energy Suspension® red and black polyurethane components are engineered differently than OEM rubber components to be free a floating and non-binding design. This allows for the additional durometer (firmness) of the components, which adds to the performance improvement of the vehicle overall. Through its 25 years of design and formulation of polyurethane, Energy's polyurethane components are the best on the market today.

http://www.energysuspension.com/energy-tech/frequently-asked-questions.html

notice the highlighted word. very few of their products are like that, and those that are have a different part number than their red counterparts. also, non of the parts for the Contour or any universal parts are that way. so, as far as anyone on here looking for ES bushings for the Contour is concerned, the only difference is the color.

notice the highlighted word. very few of their products are like that, and those that are have a different part number than their red counterparts. also, non of the parts for the Contour or any universal parts are that way. so, as far as anyone on here looking for ES bushings for the Contour is concerned, the only difference is the color.

Good. That makes me feel better about getting the red ones ;)

Back