• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ebay rotors

actually the outside slots do matter, just not as much as people think they do.

Please explain . . . begin with why they matter in the first place, and then continue with why the direction and location would matter.

if the slots arent cut the same as the internal veins then they are :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty rotors anyways.

Then please continue with why slots should be cut the same as the internal vanes, and what makes the rotor poor quality if they don't.

And always, please cite examples wherever possible.

I ask, because I have spoken at length with the designers and other engineers here at Brembo and consensus is it make zero difference which way the slots are facing/spinning.

The thing I like about Brembo is that they would still rather sell you the solid, high quality and high performance rotor without the drilling and the slotting. They understand that the majority of people want a strong rotor with better heat capacity and less things to go wrong.

The thing I like about Brembo is that they would still rather sell you the solid, high quality and high performance rotor without the drilling and the slotting. They understand that the majority of people want a strong rotor with better heat capacity and less things to go wrong.

No doubt we value function over form. However, we do produce more than a few slotted rotors and slot direction doesn't matter.

-Todd

actually the outside slots do matter, just not as much as people think they do

Please explain . . . begin with why they matter in the first place, and then continue with why the direction and location would matter.

Please explain.

I ask, because I have spoken at length with the designers and other engineers here at Brembo and consensus is it make zero difference which way the slots are facing/spinning.

you both must have missed that. Like you have said many times Rara, they dont really matter on street cars, its almost entirely aesthetics. However that doesnt mean the theory (that they help to remove built up heat and gases) isnt correct, which is what most people read about them anyways. I never said location matterd, simply that direction should (wheather it actually does or not i havent seen any tests to prove one way or the other)

and since we all agree that they are mostly for aesthetics anyways, they just look retarded when they are "backwards". since the only time it would matter is when you are showing them off while stopped or moving slow.

edit:

this is from tire rack about brembo slotted rotors
Starting with select castings, Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors undergo the race-born practice of machining multiple shallow slots into the disc’s front and rear surfaces to provide paths to disperse built-up heat and gasses and assist in refreshing the surface of the brake pads. Compared to cross-drilled rotors, machined slots have been widely adopted for racing and street use because they minimize the cracking caused by repeated, high stress, high temperature brake applications. The slots are angled to use the rotors’ direction of rotation to enhance their performance, which makes the rotors side-specific with left and right side rotors. Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors are sold in axle pairs and the easiest way to verify correct usage is to install the rotors on the side of the vehicle that results in the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the rotor always contacting the brake pads first.

although according to the last line it would seem as though most people actually put them on backwards and Amyn had them on correctly. :shrug:

you both must have missed that. Like you have said many times Rara, they dont really matter on street cars, its almost entirely aesthetics. However that doesnt mean the theory (that they help to remove built up heat and gases) isnt correct, which is what most people read about them anyways. I never said location matterd, simply that direction should (wheather it actually does or not i havent seen any tests to prove one way or the other)

and since we all agree that they are mostly for aesthetics anyways, they just look retarded when they are "backwards". since the only time it would matter is when you are showing them off while stopped or moving slow.

No, I didn't miss it. You originally stated that he put them on backwards and then went on to state that the orientation did matter. It doesn't, slot pattern is in no way indicative of rotational direction. It makes no functional difference whether which way they spin.

Furthermore, you understanding of the purpose of slotting is not correct. Slotting is intended to clean the pad. Its meant to constantly wipe the pad of debris and prevent a build up of material transfer and smearing of the lining surface during repeated high pressure high temp application. Slotting does not vent gasses or built up heat. Perhaps you were thinking of the original purposes for cross-drilling (a whole different can of worms). And for the record, modern pad compounds simply do not outgas the way older pads tended to do.

Regards,

Todd

Last edited:
you both must have missed that. Like you have said many times Rara, . . .

Not going to add much to what SilverSnake said, except that, I definately didn't miss it, as it still doesn't negate your statement. And please don't put words in my mouth, I rarely discuss slotting in depth, I think you may have mistaken my comments on drilled rotors as having been about slots on rotors as well.

according to the quote from tire rack (which i suspect they just got from Brembo), slot pattern does indicate rotational direction as well as what i stated for the purpose of the slots. Is Brembo wrong? :shrug:

and im aware that modern pads dont out gas like old asbestos pads did.

And please don't put words in my mouth, I rarely discuss slotting in depth, I think you may have mistaken my comments on drilled rotors as having been about slots on rotors as well.
Maybe it wasnt you that had said it then, although i thought it was, but it has been said numerous times before on here.

according to the quote from tire rack (which i suspect they just got from Brembo), slot pattern does indicate rotational direction as well as what i stated for the purpose of the slots. Is Brembo wrong? :shrug:

and im aware that modern pads dont outgas like old asbestos pads did.

No, they likely didn't get their quote directly from Brembo. However the aftermarket sport rotors that Tire-rack buys from Brembo are usually handed per directional venting. As such, they need to be installed on the correct sides to function correctly. Based upon this, the easiest visual indicator for the technologically impaired is to look at the slot pattern for the installation.*****

In the Original Equipment division, the majority of Brembo discs use patented pillar venting, which is unidirectional. As such when using OE slotted rotors, direction is based upon the vehicle manufacturer's preference.

-Todd

****On edit: a quick internal check with a colleague revealed Brembo After-Market does recomend the directional mounting as indicated on tire-rack. However, this is purely from an asthetic point of view.

Last edited:
****On edit: a quick internal check with a colleague revealed Brembo After-Market does recomend the directional mounting as indicated on tire-rack. However, this is purely from an asthetic point of view.

That explains all the confusion then. misinformation given to the public via trusted sources, in this case, tire rack.

ill admit, i dont know everything about brakes, i was going based on what i had been told. i much prefer suspension discusions.

Back