• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The flying brick

not exactly a stock zetec you got there...
no its not but i just hate how people always rag on the zetec for being "slow". even before i went FI my zetec with 240K miles on it was faster than non SVT v6 tours.

it may only have 4 cylinders but it responds amazingly well to basic mods. with intake, exhaust, headers, UDP, and a tune (all the same things most SVT guys do) and i would bet that the zetec would give a good run to the SVT. if you let the zetec up the compression to same 10:1 as well then i have no doubt the zetec could beat the SVT.

no its not but i just hate how people always rag on the zetec for being "slow". even before i went FI my zetec with 240K miles on it was faster than non SVT v6 tours.

it may only have 4 cylinders but it responds amazingly well to basic mods. with intake, exhaust, headers, UDP, and a tune (all the same things most SVT guys do) and i would bet that the zetec would give a good run to the SVT. if you let the zetec up the compression to same 10:1 as well then i have no doubt the zetec could beat the SVT.

yeah but....if an svt had intake, exhaust, headers, udp, and a tune, then the svt would be faster. None of these cars are all that fast in stock form but relative to each other, the zetec is factually the slowest. :shrug: so we rag on them for fun, which is fine as long as we all know that our v6's aren't all that fast either. That way, no one gets a big head. :laugh:

Last edited:
the problem is that so many SVT owners on here DO think their cars are fast.

out of curiosity whats an SVT put down with those mods? and whats the average weight of an SVT?

now do i get to up my compression ratio to 10:1 also?

Racing on da intarnetz! But seriously, I think striker is right. Modify the Zetec with all the bolt-ons, and you're looking at what, 140 hp maybe? Or is that an overestimate?

Last edited:

I only rag on the zetec because I drive one. It isn't a bad engine at all, but it isn't a power house either, nor is a SVT anymore.

However I only see it being as fast or maybe slightly faster then a V6 atx if it has a manual, no way its faster then a V6 with a mtx. 103 vs 140 hp at the wheel stock if both are mtx's

I do not agree that a zetec with basic bolt ons would give a SVT a run for its money. Maybe off the line and to 60 mph but no way to will hold up on the top end. same for a non SVT duratec with mtx

it really is a night and day difference between a zetec and a duratec in power, stock for stock.

Last edited:
un-tuned yes, SVTavaino made about 185 HP with just intake, optimized y-pipe and alittle exhaust work, not much else I believe.

must get y-pipe!!! I think I'm going to a uconn dyno meet this weekend at bristol dyno. If there's time I may dyno, so we can see the diff throughout exhaust, headers, then ultimately ypipe when I get one :blackeye:

now do i get to up my compression ratio to 10:1 also?
Is that a dealbreaker? I have to agree with brian. The zetec is a fine engine and people like you do awesome stuff with it. But with contours just being as cheap as the are and the nautilus kit costing as much as most focus turbo kits. I'd personally rather start off with a bigger engine if going the performance route :shrug:

no IMRC to worry about breaking on the zetec though :D:D

considering i could build a turbo zetec that will make 200+ WHP for less than the cost of an SVT (including the purchase of the car) ill take the zetec. although its getting harder to argue that since the price of SVTs has come down a lot. :nonono:

also the focus turbo kit will not work on the contour without serious modification. so much so that you might has well build your own from scratch (like i did).

Edit: who doesnt like the super sleeper of a turbo zetec either :crazy::drool:

Last edited:
My old car put down 185 under the hands of Kremit with an open air intake and exhaust (not even full exhaust, just the rear mufflers)

nothing else done, really.

Back