• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car stalling

well 3 months later the car is finally fixed. it turned out to be a lazy TPS sensor. the spring was broken. I never checked it cause I never got a code for it. I guess it was working just well enough not to trip the PCM. After the new TPS the P0103 code went away. its been 200 plus miles and going strong, also my pinging under acceleration is gone too! thanks for all your help!

well guess what. the car is not running again. this time it calls for an O2 sensor. changed it and reset the computer and erased the codes. I did notice that the plugs are black. car idled fine but when i hit the go pedal it fell on its face. this is really driving me nuts! what now? help!

it was P0153 with an P1151. then a pending code P0103 the MAF. when I got the check engine light the car ran ok, lucky I was a block from my house. cause the following night I tried start it and it didn't wanna start. it was misfiring and wouldn't idle. so the next day i replaced that O2 sensor erased the codes disonnected the battery for about 10 minutes while i checked the plugs. (they were black) started the car and it stumbled for a few seconds then straightened out. I thought sweet! case closed. i let it ilde for another 10 minutes and then i got in the car and gave it some gas.....it had no problem revving up but it idled erratically till it just finnally stalled out. no black smoke but this time white smoke. vacuum lines are all connected no leaks that i've heard. so i started it again and no dice. this time it didn't wanna idle or start for that matter. oh and no check engine light or pending codes yet.

ok well i bought new plugs (Motorcraft platinum finewire) I started it and it ran like crap again. pulled out the plugs and they are black just like the ones I replaced. i'm stumped. here is a laundry list of items done to the car. UIM/TB gaskets replaced. new Camshaft postition sensor, new TPS, new plugs/wires vacuum lines are good. the 2 upper O2s and one lower replaced. this of was done over a period of say 6 months. totally lost and confused now.

ok well i bought new plugs (Motorcraft platinum finewire) I started it and it ran like crap again. pulled out the plugs and they are black just like the ones I replaced.
the black plugs suggest the car is running rich. Have you checked the air filter is clean....the inlet air temp. sensor is clean and secure and the MAF sensor wire is clean...hope this helps....G.

filter is good, i've cleaned out a fairly new MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. I haven't touched that air temp sensor. could a that little AIR temp sensor really bring my car down?

filter is good, i've cleaned out a fairly new MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. I haven't touched that air temp sensor. could a that little AIR temp sensor really bring my car down?
i'm not sure that it is ALL down to any one thing..just going through usual suspects. You listed that you had changed the UIM. You might try checking the coil ground lead is making a good connection...a weak spark could cause poor combustion, check the secondaries are connected and functioning.....also as tony asked..what was the last set of codes you erased ?..G.

yea I checked the grounds, the only thing i've noticed is that there is a small crack in the casing. but i've DVOM it and it checked out fine. I just got another code after erasing the old one. P0103. I hate that code with a passion. thats the same code that hosed me last time. everytime that SOB comes on my car is out for the count. last time changing the TPS erased it, so now i either have another bad TPS or the MAF is bad again. I guess that would explain the 2 previous codes P0153/P1151.

you do have the right MAF for your car, don't you ? return/non return...other than that..it could be the harness connections are loose broken dirty..G.

yea it should be the right one. I don't know if there is a difference between the DOHC and the HO. i looked up part numbers on between the 2 and they are the same meter. i've already replaced the meter 3 months ago. only to find out it wasn't the problem. its ok though cause the one before that was under warranty so its free to replace. as for the harness its fine and the mass air meter has been cleaned with CRC mass air meter cleaner.

i've read on the forum that the difference is between MAFs for return fuel system and non return...usually obvious by the plastic housing ( but not always). The Mass air volume high input.. we need to find out if this means high resistance value or high voltage value ..... maybe you could clear the DTC's again and see what comes up..G.

I couldn't figure out what the high input was into the MAF. it actually cleared once i got the new TPS. I may have another faulty TPS on my hands. cause all the symptoms are exactly the same. one thing i don't like about these OBII cars, is that there is too many sensors can have an affect on timing and fuel trim.

I agree about the OBD11, i'm begining to find that the fault codes are an indicator to a problem, not always the complete answer.. they need to be interpreted...a scanner is an essential part of your tool kit with these cars. Well the pcm is reading voltages. So, if we assumed that the voltage reading from the MAF was high..have you measured it to see if it is above 5v. Have you tried swapping your old MAF back in ?... G.

no autozone took the old one as the core. my first codes that came up was the O2 codes. I was thinking no problem i'll just replace the O2 sensor. I wasn't really thinking about why the O2 sensor went bad. I agree with you totally. look at mine for example, I was getting a bad MAF code, when really it was a bad TPS tripping the MAF and it the MAF triggered the O2s cause the car wasn't running properly. I never did get the code for the TPS i got codes for everything else that was affected. its 2008 for christ sakes! cars should just tell you what component has failed.

well it seems you have checked all the easy stuff.. if you can pick up a cheap code reader it will make it easier to check the fault codes... you could get an SCT Xcal flasher/code reader..then you could data log and some of the 3.0L turbo guys will be able to understand better what is going on with your car.. i'm having idle issue at the moment too..but i've swapped TB's... G.

I have code scanner and it tells me fuel trims and a few other things. it tells me that i'm running rich. well i've got all day to work on it. just not looking fwd to it.

well I disconnected the MAF, car started right up ran better fuel trim was better. connected the MAF car didn't wanna start. disconnected it car started up. the only problem was even though it idled fine, when I stepped on the go pedal the RPMs would drop drastically then pick up and run normal. my question is, is it the MAF? its not a big deal, cause its under warranty. problem is it seems that no autozones in my little village of SAN DIEGO,CA have one in stock. and it has to come from a los angeles.

i don't know what manufacturer autozone parts are..but you could probably get an original part in the classified section..the guys are always parting out cars...G.

Back