• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car stalling

GT2SVT

CEG'er
hey guys/gals. I've just recently developed a problem with my csvt. here is my issue. I was down to less than a quarter tank so I added some gas from a 76 gas station. (I use Shell) the car ran good as its always been until 10 miles later It started losing power. well i pulled over and it didn't wanna start again. he're is the real trick. NO ENGINE CODES! well I had it towed home and its been sitting in the driveway. i will start and run for about 5 min then die again. still no engine codes! when it does run it'll run good spitting water out the twin pipes then it'll sputter spitting black carbon and you can smell fuel from the intake. the only engine code that has come on was a P1132 rich condition. which leaves me to believe fuel is not really an issue. i'm thinking my coil is going bad. or could it really be a tank full of bad gas? oh by the way I sprayed around the intake and hoses/vacuum lines no vacuum leak either.

car stalling

its a 1998. but if the fuel pump is bad wouldn't i be running in a lean condition? i'm smelling too much fuel. could it be the fuel pressure regulator? its starts and runs in the driveway. and throttle response is good. where is the PVC valve? does this car even have one? i've noticed an oil leak and can smell it. i'm thinking the pvc valve is clogged but were is it? is it on the valve covers?

hey guys/gals. I've just recently developed a problem with my csvt. here is my issue. I was down to less than a quarter tank so I added some gas from a 76 gas station. (I use Shell) the car ran good as its always been until 10 miles later It started losing power. well i pulled over and it didn't wanna start again. he're is the real trick. NO ENGINE CODES! well I had it towed home and its been sitting in the driveway. i will start and run for about 5 min then die again. still no engine codes! when it does run it'll run good spitting water out the twin pipes then it'll sputter spitting black carbon and you can smell fuel from the intake. the only engine code that has come on was a P1132 rich condition. which leaves me to believe fuel is not really an issue. i'm thinking my coil is going bad. or could it really be a tank full of bad gas? oh by the way I sprayed around the intake and hoses/vacuum lines no vacuum leak either.
If it is the coil, there will be a misfire code. Don't mess with the PCV valve yet.

It could be bad gas and there is only one way to find out. Siphon out most of the gas and fill up gas from your regular station. Some have posted that Shell does wonders for the SVT. Maybe it is the additives and cleaners in the gas.

It, of course, could be the fuel pump.

car stalling

yea i'm gonna have to siphon out that gas. not really looking forward to that since i'm looking at 6 gallons of gas. wow its really gonna suck if its the fuel pump. but would a bad fuel pump provide too much gas? it seems once the car goes into its closed loop thats when its starts stumbling and spitting out black soot.

A bad fuel pump can do a lot of weird things honestly. And the PCV valve is down under your intake boot but it should be causing this kinda problem.

... it seems once the car goes into its closed loop thats when its starts stumbling and spitting out black soot.
Closed loop, eh? When was the last time, the Bank 1 (Firewall side) Upper O2 sensor was changed? If it is more than 50K miles, you may want to consider changing that.

Edit. Bank 1 Upper O2 sensor R&R
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=1023736&Forum=v6maint&Words=replace%20o2&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=2500&Old=allposts&Main=1023736&Search=true#Post1023736

Last edited:
car stalling

I had the same symptoms before back in december. stalling on the freeway, not wanting to idle etc. that was a vacuum leak that i discovered in the intake hose. (it was cracked) thats why i'm thinking it could be the PCV valve hose or the valve its self. I didn't really check in that area you were talking about, i'll check that out for sure. that should be a quick and easy fix. would that also be why i smell oil and the cause of my leak?

I had the same symptoms before back in december. stalling on the freeway, not wanting to idle etc. that was a vacuum leak that i discovered in the intake hose. (it was cracked) thats why i'm thinking it could be the PCV valve hose or the valve its self. I didn't really check in that area you were talking about, i'll check that out for sure. that should be a quick and easy fix. would that also be why i smell oil and the cause of my leak?
It could.

funny you mention that cause i changed it when i got that engine code. I bought the sensor awhile ago but I never installed it till yesterday. man what a pain in the butt!

ok checked the pcv valve. a little dirty so I cleaned it, hose looks good. car ran for 20 min no problem. revved it no problems there either. no engine codes still. this is the second time the car has idled with out a problem. but I still have a problem somewere cause it did idle for about 5-10 mins then sputtered and died. very strange this contour is. i'm all out of ideas.

oh also I changed the thermostat and installed it correctly and now the car seems to be running hotter than before, which could explain why its running rich. and that would explain why i'm getting that p1132 code. that o2 sensor was black when I pulled it out.

When you say you cleaned the PCV valve what do you mean exactly? You should just check to see if it rattles or really just replace it anyway since its a $2 part.

it rattled and was fairly clean. I cleaned it anyway. started up the car and it ran for another 20 min then started dying on my again. its a sinking feeling when you give it gas and the car does not respond. seems to only get like this when its hot. still no engine code.

I had the exact same symptoms when I had a vacuum leak. I found a crack in the intake hose. it was the hose that goes from the intake hose to the IAC. I replaced the whole intake hose with a short ram intake. i've been trouble free for about 6 months. and now this again. I've also replaced the MAF and cleaned the IAC 6 months ago as well. this is very puzzling since i have no codes. but the same symptoms. i'm thinking there may be a vacuum leak in one of the small hard lines when it goes under the intake manifold. i guess i'll be performing a vacuum test.

still have the same issue. car is not fixed, I got another code a p1151 lean condition. maybe there is another vacuum leak somewere. all this of course happens when the car is well into its closed loop cycle. I did a vacuum test and it seemed a little low. but it wasn't fluctuating.

still have the same issue. car is not fixed, I got another code a p1151 lean condition. maybe there is another vacuum leak somewere. all this of course happens when the car is well into its closed loop cycle. I did a vacuum test and it seemed a little low. but it wasn't fluctuating.
P1151. Need a new Bank 2 (radiator side) Upper O2 sensor. This should be relatively easy compared to the one you did previously. Remove oil filter for more room to maneuvre the ratchet.

well its been a little over a month now and the car still isn't fixed. I still have the "high circuit input" P0103. I've replaced the MAF and still the same engine code. checked for leaks, none that i've found. checked the harness, checked out good. so maybe I got another faulty MAF from autozone. how do I fully test the MAF? the Chiltons book is lousy and does have any good detail. it doesn't tell me which wires are Signal Return/Power/Ground/Signal. can any of you guys provide me pics or tell which wire is which?

ok the car will also stall out in the open circuit as well. i'm really stumped now. i'm about to just get rid of this car and go back to my mustang. thats too bad cause I really liked this car. I've checked wiring and vacuum leaks and found nothing wrong.

Back