• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BArgain suspension

i'll get ripped here for this but i'm still liking my sensatracs with koni sport springs. great handling, it lowers the car and wasn't real expensive.

Best bang for the buck would be the BAT "European Handling Kit". I wish I had gone that route. Do it right the first time.

well my setup is ten bucks more than the BAT kit and that included front and rear mounts i don't think that they are with the BAT kit. i'm just saying. everyone wants to yell BAT or KONI at the drop of a hat when there are other routes that are just as good and maybe better for less money. if you want to get real cheap you could (now i'm not saying i would but...) go with KYB and a pair of good used springs from the classified section. there's always some good springs to be had there and if you can't find any just ask, you could also probably find a good set of struts that way also.

cetroutt, so far you've named off two strut types that are for stock suspension configurations. These are meant to be used for OEM configurations, not aftermarket lowering springs. While you may not have a problem right away, those struts are not meant to be paired up with lowering springs. Don't make recommendations if you don't fully understand the differences in the parts.

BAT or KONI struts are intended to be used with lowering springs.

seeing as i checked with monroe first and from what they had to say there shouldn't be any issues with the use of the koni springs. and i've known several people to use kybs with all sorts of after market springs and OE springs and besides the fact that kybs aren't known to last long either way it's an option. just because i don't follow the frat boy band wagon that a lot of people do, don't assume that i haven't done any research on my suspension setup. there are more than just me running sensatracs with lowering springs, and i'm yet to hear of any problems. i'm not saying that konis or the BAT kit are bad because while i have no experience with the BATs, konis IMO are only second to tanabe, they're just expensive. i just think that if someone is going to ask about a suspension setup that is decently priced they should hear about more than just the "popular you're just like me" setups.

there is a difference between affordable cheap and affordable. quite possibly in the long run going cheap the first time will lead to it costing more in the long run.

there is a difference between affordable cheap and affordable. quite possibly in the long run going cheap the first time will lead to it costing more in the long run.

very true. which is why i said that i wouldn't use kybs.

if i were using the moroematics i would agree with you, but i can not see how the sensatracs can be compared with KYBs.

well i have kyb stuts and hnr springs and i love them

you sir are evil, and you are no enthusiast, your svt should be taken away and given to someone who will properly care for it with parts like popular kids use.

you sir are evil, and you are no enthusiast, your svt should be taken away and given to someone who will properly care for it with parts like popular kids use.

LOLz

Nobody is arguing that you can't use cheaper (KYB/Monroe) struts and lowering springs, BUT just because you don't have any issues with them (yet), doesn't mean countless others haven't.
If these parts work for you, that's great and I'm glad you saved a few bucks. I chose to go the route the majority of the senior members on here did, as I had the extra cash and wanted a bit more piece of mind. YMMV

I have had my KYB's on lowering spring for about 50k miles, they do the job....next set Ill spend the money on performance struts though.

I had a set BAT on my 2000 SE before, It is very comfortable and thecar didn't roll much.
However, the tires make more different when i did the turns.
Too bad i sold the car without taking the BAT off.... or i can use them on my CSVT now..........
If u already have nice tires, I think BAT will be good enough.
If the car isur daily ride, BAT will be enough

Back