• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cobra Mustang/FSVT meet CSVT

Pole120

Addicted CEG'er
Cobra Mustang front brakes, Focus SVT front rotors on the rear with stock caliper. 13"/11.8" :drool:

msc143.jpg

msc144.jpg

Please run some aggressive pads up front and something much less aggressive for the rear to keep the bias from getting out of hand.

Hawk HP+ for the fronts and HPS on the rear...

Not sure exactly what you mean about proportion, this combo is closer to stock front/rear proportion than the FSVT/CSVT kit out now. Enlighten me if i'm missing something.

Running a more aggressive combo in the rear changes the brake bias. May make the car unstable under hard braking.:shrug:

Running a more aggressive combo in the rear changes the brake bias. May make the car unstable under hard braking.:shrug:

I don't agree. I have upgraded brakes all around and the car stops right now, rarely requiring the ABS to activate. Very predictable with no fuss.

Better brakes are nice to have, and darn near required with a 3.0 turbo.

What I'm getting at is the rear braking isn't a more aggressive combo than stock....in fact it's weaker.

Stock is
280mm/252mm = 1.11 : 1

My system
330mm/300mm = 1.10 : 1

NPG
300mm/280mm = 1.071 : 1

Also take into account that I've also upgraded the front calipers while the rears remain stock. I don't know it all and correct me if I'm wrong, but when i look at this info, it doesn't sound like I'm getting into any kind of troublesome situation.

EH, it's ok...... Now you just need a running car to put that on. I think this will look really nice filling up the wheels :drool:

I really like that, it is really needed on FI'ed cars. Mine accelerates way faster than before, and you wish you had more braking power after a spirited drive. It looks like you had to drill at least 2 new holes. How much did the Cobra parts run you? How is the availability of the Cobra stuff? Any more info would be great. Nice work!

Rod

Pole, to be fair, I'm going from memory on some calcs I ran awhile back. They are on my work computer, so I can't go back and check them until next week. I know for my car I decided that I wanted to run the 13" fronts w/ the warmonger rear kit. I have all the stuff as well now, I just don't have tires for the wheels that fit over them, lol.

Which Cobra calipers are you using? the 38mm piston version? or the 40.5mm piston version? Or what year cobra did they come off of? That might be easier for you if you don't feel like measuring the pistons :D
Also, are you still thinking about pulling the ABS module on this particular car?

btw, do you have brackets like these yet, so you can bolt those cobra calipers to your car? :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2_4.jpg
    2_4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Pole, to be fair, I'm going from memory on some calcs I ran awhile back. They are on my work computer, so I can't go back and check them until next week. I know for my car I decided that I wanted to run the 13" fronts w/ the warmonger rear kit. I have all the stuff as well now, I just don't have tires for the wheels that fit over them, lol.

I hear you there, I too am tireless at the moment. I haven't even had a chance to throw the wheels on the knuckles to make sure the cobra parts clear them. As with last time we talked brakes, any information and calculations you feel like sending my way I'd love to read and interpret. This is all stuff i need to learn, and i think it best i learn it sooner rather than later.

Which Cobra calipers are you using? the 38mm piston version? or the 40.5mm piston version? Or what year cobra did they come off of? That might be easier for you if you don't feel like measuring the pistons :D

They're off of a 97, I'm too lazy to go get my caliper and measure them up. :laugh:

Also, are you still thinking about pulling the ABS module on this particular car?

No, following the PM discussions you and I had ages ago, i am keeping the system installed and functional.

btw, do you have brackets like these yet, so you can bolt those cobra calipers to your car? :D]

I do actually, the prototypes are installed in the pictures, i have a few things i want to tweak before i send out the final designs for fab. :)

Last edited:
going off memory here,but if you can use the cobra calipars,vette calipars should fit too. its a mod used by SHO guys often

Pole, yeah, I know we had discussed all this long ago, lol, but my memory is terrible :D

IIRC the 97 Cobra calipers will still be the 38mm pistons, which are more desirable in this case than the later 40.5mm versions.

One other nice thing about this setup is that the 00 Cobra R Brembo calipers will be a direct swap with maybe a banjo bolt change as well. Though making sure your wheels will clear the much wider brembos will be necessary too, lol. I've got Focus RS wheels to go over mine, so it should be good if I ever decide to run the R brembos.

Fwiw, my bracket design as-is would be way too expensive for this group, I'm considering doing a mild steel version that could be much cheaper at the expense of some weight. But I need to trial mine first to make sure the geometry is exactly where I want it anyway.

seems like a lot of rotor surface going untouched in the rear.

Hardly any worse than the NPG relocation, and has a 3.5% advantace in the braking force moment arm. :shrug:

TCE has had an 11.75" kit that uses the stock caliper out for forever it seems.....

Pole, yeah, I know we had discussed all this long ago, lol, but my memory is terrible :D

I saved the PMs to my harddrive. Good info to have on hand.

Pole, good idea keeping the ABS. I don't have ABS and with my Hawk HP Plus pads the car locks up effortlessly. A quick emergencey stop results in a whole lot of tire smoke:blackeye:. But the pads do stop awesome though:drool:.

Aaron

Back