• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone wanna help??

ctmystique

Hard-core CEG'er
It looks like the motor in my mystique is shot. So far the cheapest way out is to drop a new motor into it. I've located a 3.0 motor from a 04 Taurus for about $500 and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me swap it out/in. I'm not sure what else has to get changed. I'm guessing from my searching that I can swap over the intake manifold and exhaust as well. I'm probably going to do most of the work on Sat. any trying to get most of the prework done through out the week. As my wife is without a car right now I really need to get this done ASAP. Any help would be appreciated.

I'll help out .... from what I understand all you need to do to have a drop in motor is take the taurus block and bottom end and bolt on all of the 2.5 heads, cams and intakes, should be the easiest way forward. Then there is no fabbing of anything as it is all in the factory location.

Saturday should be a problem. I need to go home and get my car and swap the wheels for the UCONN car show, that is if it isn't goign to rain sunday ... other then tonight I should be free most of the week

oh I think you need to cut some ears off the block to make the alternator fit but that isn't much of a big deal I do believe

I can lend a hand if the timing is right. I'm mechanically retarded but I can hold stuff with the best of them. I'd really like to be around for it. Then maybe I'll do the swap myself one of these days :cool:

Saturday should be a problem. I need to go home and get my car and swap the wheels for the UCONN car show, that is if it isn't goign to rain sunday ... other then tonight I should be free most of the week

Did you mean Saturday Shouldn't be a problem? If so that'd be great.

As for Hotdimmes I live within walking distance from Brapple if you know where he's at. I'll get back to you if you can make it on Saturday.

I'll see if I can p/u the motor tomorrow. I also have to p/u an engine hoist at my folks in East Granby. I should start tearing the top end off also.

wow what was I typing and thinking ... saturday morning would be an issue for me if the weather is going to be good sunday ... need to put summer wheels on the contour and bring it up here for the Uconn car show. Although I could do that friday afternoon. Need to see how the week goes.

I get out of work tomorrow at 4 and can drop by tomorrow night if you like

Last edited:
Just buy my mystique it is running good and should give you reliable transportaion for more years to come.

Just buy my mystique it is running good and should give you reliable transportaion for more years to come.

I'd have liked too, but I can't afford your asking price and my body is in fairly good shape. Plus If I must spend some $$ I might as well get some more HP for my $$.

Isn't it going to run like crap until you get a tune too?

I believe a straight 3L might but a hybrid should run fine, I mean Tony ahs bee driving his hybrid for how long now without it being tuned?

And if it is just because of the SVT PCM having a more robust program with this mystique being a 98 a RJL1 code SVT PCM should work and they are not hard to come by .... if so needed, well injectors are the other thing needed but those are not hard to get either

I'll finally chime in on this........

My personal recommendation would be to just buy svtavino's Mystique. You really can't beat that price and I know he takes care of his cars very well. Save yourself the labor and money involved with the swap.

My 3L swap cost roughly $3000 in the end. It CAN be done much cheaper, but I don't have enough knowledge or experience to bring down the cost of the swap. I spent $1500 for a prepped 01 3L block from Buckshot, ~$600 on a Torsen LSD, and over $500 from Bill J. for misc. build up parts (All timing components, head bolts, shift forks, bearings, and every gasket ever used on the engine).

I was not willing to do another swap in the future because of an unknown condition long/short block so I spent good money up front to do it right the first time. It's been 34k miles later and it runs perfect still.

My swap was a hybrid swap and I reused the 2.5L heads, cams, and intake manifolds.

I never researched enough into a full 3L swap to know what else needs modifications.

so roger what the update, going forward this weekend?

I should be around saturday afternoon and evening and now sunday because of the weather :mad: but I am going to look at a mtx core and head home for a bit saturday morning ...

Well yesterday I did get the old motor out. It came out fine no problems what so ever. I had to stop at 3pm so it's sitting waiting to start swapping parts over to the new motor. I hate RAIN and cold weather. No garage here!
Hopefully it will stop raining someday and I can get it back in.

glad to hear everything went well, sorry I couldn't make it back to Enfield in time to help out, between everything I did and people I saw I didn't get back until almost 11 last night.

did the instructions from the Ford CD help out any?

Also could I take a look at the spare trans you have? also could I buy a shift tower from you?

Well the spare trans would be the one that I just pulled. I know it has bad syncros. Pretty much 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. As far as the print out I really appreciated that. Although I didn't notice it until I was almost through with the pull. RAIN SUCKS BAD.

Back