• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone wanna help??

Well the spare trans would be the one that I just pulled. I know it has bad syncros. Pretty much 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. As far as the print out I really appreciated that. Although I didn't notice it until I was almost through with the pull. RAIN SUCKS BAD.

I just want to double compair to the one i just picked up. and if I could get the shift tower off it that would be cool, let me know how much you want for it as the one I got doesn't have one and I would like a spare to send in now for the shift tower mod

so Roger, when are you getting back to work on this? Just let me know and I will head on over and lend a hand

so Roger, when are you getting back to work on this? Just let me know and I will head on over and lend a hand

IF THIS WEATHER EVER CLEARS UP.....

I've got some parts coming from team ford tomorrow (hopefully) and I should be able to do some part swapping on Friday and the install on Sat.

IF THIS WEATHER EVER CLEARS UP.....

I've got some parts coming from team ford tomorrow (hopefully) and I should be able to do some part swapping on Friday and the install on Sat.

ok, I need to head hom ein the morning for an oil change and maybe rear brakes .... should be getting the countour up to enfield thursday night, maybe .... so I should be around in the afternoon and after 11 am on friday ...

ok, I need to head hom ein the morning for an oil change and maybe rear brakes .... should be getting the countour up to enfield thursday night, maybe .... so I should be around in the afternoon and after 11 am on friday ...

Sounds good today I seperated the trans from the motor and started pulling pieces off the 2.5 block. I need to find a clutch quickly, any suggestions? I did get my parts from ford today. Valve cover gaskets, front cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets and an escape oil pan and pickup. I hope that's all I need although I'm guessing I have forgotten some.

Brian, give me a call when you're available on friday as I'm not sure what my schedule is like until the AM.

Sounds good today I seperated the trans from the motor and started pulling pieces off the 2.5 block. I need to find a clutch quickly, any suggestions? I did get my parts from ford today. Valve cover gaskets, front cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets and an escape oil pan and pickup. I hope that's all I need although I'm guessing I have forgotten some.

Brian, give me a call when you're available on friday as I'm not sure what my schedule is like until the AM.

I am out of work at 11 ... was going to head home sometime after that but can hang around for awhile. I plan to be back in the area around lunch saturday or shortly after I hope.

as for a clutch I have heard that a stock SVT unit will hold up to a 3L, so any stock type replacement should do you ...

I have a brand new SVT clutch kit in my basement...I paid $300 for it from TeamFord about 3 weeks ago, and I don't need it until I get my Cougar back together, which looks like June sometime....
So if you want it, come and get it! :) $300 ... and Brian knows where I live!

Roger thats your deal right there! I was going to try to swing by gregs anyway today or tomorrow as I wanted to check out all the things he has been working on and speak about getting a few things done on my car before SZ ...

How far did you guys get on the swap today?

not to far, Roger still needs to decide how he wants to build his engine and get the rest of the parts. We did start ripping down the 2.5 to pull the parts off it that are needed like the front cover, motor mount, p/s pump, etc. We also stripped the intake and wiring harness off the 3L.

doesn't look like there where any issues in the rear head and the pistons where all in one peice, however the one tensioner for the rear head was worn to the metal. so the proplem could be rod bearing still or bad rings ...

not to far, Roger still needs to decide how he wants to build his engine and get the rest of the parts. We did start ripping down the 2.5 to pull the parts off it that are needed like the front cover, motor mount, p/s pump, etc. We also stripped the intake and wiring harness off the 3L.

doesn't look like there where any issues in the rear head and the pistons where all in one peice, however the one tensioner for the rear head was worn to the metal. so the proplem could be rod bearing still or bad rings ...

I've decided how I am building it. It is going to be a mostly 3l build. I'm keeping the 3L heads and intake just swapping over the front cover and valve covers from my 2.5 motor. The issues I'm having are the fuel rail and the throttle hook ups. I've posted in the 3L thread yesterday but no one seems to want to respond to my questions

I've decided how I am building it. It is going to be a mostly 3l build. I'm keeping the 3L heads and intake just swapping over the front cover and valve covers from my 2.5 motor. The issues I'm having are the fuel rail and the throttle hook ups. I've posted in the 3L thread yesterday but no one seems to want to respond to my questions

check out the thread you created in pics and vids, todras gave you some links that may help

check out the thread you created in pics and vids, todras gave you some links that may help

Been there done that. Seems like all anybody gets is bashing instead of help. I've spent countless hours studing and searching the 3l forums and archives and it all starts to get confusing! Instead of answering a simple question they take the same amount of time to ridicule and bash. I know the same questions get asked over and over again. but searching is a royal PITA. and the stickies and FAQ's are incomplete to say the least.

I found out today that the top of my 3.0 block isn't tapped for the left hand/front mount. What to do? What to do? Also I can't fit the mount between the heads to the top the motor. Looks like I'll be pulling the heads of anyways. Thats one thing I was hoping to avoid doing.

I need to do some soul searching on this one. WTF did I get myself into?

Cudos to aircougar!!

Cudos to aircougar!!

Hey Greg thanks a bunch!

He spent most of the day helping out. Since I couldn't get the front motor mount in without removing the heads I dicided to go with the hybrid motor. Greg had a set of 3L gaskets and bolts the I bought from him and we went to town. There were parts fling everywhere! We pulled the timing chains and gears off of the 3L block and then pulled the heads. Then we filled the respective holes in the block with good ole JB weld and proceded to put the 2.5 heads on. After torquing them properly, we went on to reinstalling the 2.5 timing gears and chains. We used the tensioners and guides from the 3L motor as the 2.5 set were worn pretty good. Finally we put the front cover and valve covers from the 2.5 on. Damb it takes a lot longer to do than I thought. I also suspect that my P/S pump was leaking so while everythings apart...

More fun still in store for the future.

thats great to hear, to bad I wasn't around at all today ... let me know when you will be working on it again

Been there done that. Seems like all anybody gets is bashing instead of help. I've spent countless hours studing and searching the 3l forums and archives and it all starts to get confusing! Instead of answering a simple question they take the same amount of time to ridicule and bash. I know the same questions get asked over and over again. but searching is a royal PITA. and the stickies and FAQ's are incomplete to say the least.

I found out today that the top of my 3.0 block isn't tapped for the left hand/front mount. What to do? What to do? Also I can't fit the mount between the heads to the top the motor. Looks like I'll be pulling the heads of anyways. Thats one thing I was hoping to avoid doing.

I need to do some soul searching on this one. WTF did I get myself into?

The power steering bracket changed in 98.5 or 99 to the same one as the 3L blocks. I had to change mine to the newer bracket and bolts when I did my 3L. That set me back a good week and 1/2 while my stealership ordered it, messed up the order, made me go back 2 or 3 times..........

Let me know if you want the part numbers. They are on the old forums also.

The power steering bracket changed in 98.5 or 99 to the same one as the 3L blocks. I had to change mine to the newer bracket and bolts when I did my 3L. That set me back a good week and 1/2 while my stealership ordered it, messed up the order, made me go back 2 or 3 times..........

Let me know if you want the part numbers. They are on the old forums also.

He should be all set with the PS pump and bracket now...he is using the 2.5L timing cover and Motor mount, so everything should bolt up fine...

Back