• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone in the area?

Update

Update

Just had the dealer who installed the struts and spring verify this information:

After driving the car that agreed that it's stiffer ride than normal and the cause of it is....

Apparently the springs in the rear are the same whether it is a 4 or a 6 cylinder. And 95 - 00 the rear springs are the same part number. The rear struts also seem to be the same.

The tech at the dealer is surprised that Ford would do this. I seems that they no longer manufacture the OEM springs/struts that are *intended* to be used for the 1999 Contour. They are simply trying to use the *extra* stock on the shelf. He feels this is wrong.

The dealer can do nothing to correct this - they told me.

JJames stated:

According to Alldata.... There was an option for "Vin 3" or "Vin Z" but I checked both and the part number's for the struts/springs are the same.

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L CNG DOHC VIN Z SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC VIN 3 SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour V6-153 2.5L DOHC VIN L SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual - F5RZ5310H
Front Auto - F5RZ5310E
Rear Standard Edition - F5RZ5560D
Rear Sport Edition - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour V6-153 2.5L VIN G (24 Valve) SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual - F5RZ5310H
Front Auto - F5RZ5310E
Rear Standard Edition - F5RZ5560D
Rear Sport Edition - F5RZ5560D

seems like your only alternative is to go aftermarket.

Check into Monroe Sensitrac or KYB struts, but even then you might be in for the same issue, my co-worker just had all new suspension put on his G6, they put Monroe Sensitrac struts on his car, it rides good, but my co-worker complained that the ride is more sensitive now, he can feel little bumps in the road where he used to not feel those bumps.

So you might be SOL in this sense, either live with the harder ride, or spend money on aftermarket struts and potentially have an equally as harsh ride.

this cat needs air ride, set it to your preferance and enjoy your new cadillacs ride. :)

i can set off my inertia switch with my suspension being so stiff...lmao

Seriously man, if its that big of a deal, bring the car down to Westland, and I'll drive it.

seems like your only alternative is to go aftermarket.

Check into Monroe Sensitrac or KYB struts, but even then you might be in for the same issue, my co-worker just had all new suspension put on his G6, they put Monroe Sensitrac struts on his car, it rides good, but my co-worker complained that the ride is more sensitive now, he can feel little bumps in the road where he used to not feel those bumps.

So you might be SOL in this sense, either live with the harder ride, or spend money on aftermarket struts and potentially have an equally as harsh ride.

I notice that rockauto.com also has the MONRO-MATIC PLUS STRUT which they claim will give a smoother ride and less price than the SENSA-TRAC STRUT. Is this true?

Anyways, should I consider only replacing ONLY the struts in the rear with MONRO-MATIC PLUS STRUT or SENSA-TRAC STRUT? Or do i need to replace the new spring as well? If so, rockauto.com has too many to choose from below.

Or maybe Gabriels will give a better ride?

SPRINGS rear

HUSKY SPRING Part # SC20101
SPICER Part # 5891091
MOOG Part # 80091
SPICER Part # 5851255
HUSKY SPRING Part # SC20162
MOOG Part # 80160
ACDELCO Part # 45H2091
ACDELCO Part # 45H0255

STRUTS rear

MONROE Part # 801984 MONRO-MATIC PLUS STRUT
MONROE Part # 71984 SENSA-TRAC STRUT

Maybe the simple stuff like tire pressure should be checked and speaking of that, does it have the stock tires/wheels on it:shrug: If that doesn't work, maybe you should trade your European heritage Ford in for a Cavalier, just a thought.

Back