• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone in the area?

Myrosia

CEG'er
I had the dealer install OEM struts/srpings.

The ride stuill seems very stiff and not normal. Almost as is the struts has to much gas and won't give easy enough. The ride is just horrible.

Went back to the dealer and they checked it again. Nothing wrong and all seems normal to them and they said it needed more time to break in. Well, it's been 12.000 miles already.

Anyone in the area could check the car?

I'm in Shelby Twp.

Thanks

1999 Ford Contour SE L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI. Vin 3.
Front Auto Trans
Manufactured: 10/98 Front Auto Trans

Replaced 2 Front Struts

3U2Z-18124-AB (SHOCK ABSORBER)

Replaced 2 Rear Struts & Springs

F5RZ-5560-D (SPRING)
F8RZ-18125-AA (SHOCK ABSORBER)

You're still on about this? What is someone going to look at. I thought we figured springs were installed from a V6 car. Dealer is never going to fess up. Order the correct parts from Bill Jenkins and have a CEGer install is the only way to make sure it's done right.

Bill Jenkins already verified the parts are correct. I spoke to him several times about this.

In addition,

As JJames stated:

"The springs in the rear are the same whether it is a 4 or a 6 cylinder. From 95 - 00 the rear springs are the same part number. The rear stuts also seem to be the same."

According to Alldata, there was an option for "Vin 3" or "Vin Z" although, the part number's for the struts/springs are the same.

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L CNG DOHC VIN Z SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC VIN 3 SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour V6-153 2.5L DOHC VIN L SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual - F5RZ5310H
Front Auto - F5RZ5310E
Rear Standard Edition - F5RZ5560D
Rear Sport Edition - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour V6-153 2.5L VIN G (24 Valve) SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual - F5RZ5310H
Front Auto - F5RZ5310E
Rear Standard Edition - F5RZ5560D
Rear Sport Edition - F5RZ5560D

So if the parts are correct what do you want someone to do? Does the car track funny? It's Contour and won't ride like a Buick.

So if the parts are correct what do you want someone to do? Does the car track funny? It's Contour and won't ride like a Buick.

I would like someone to test drive it and see what I am referring to.

Yes, I know all the parts are correct. ALthough, I also asked if there are other parts non OEM that would make the ride softer.

odds are...nothing can be done to please you.

I'm inclined to agree with this... just out of curiosity, OP, what kind of cars are you used to driving? If the parts that were installed reference correctly, there's not a whole lot that somebody here is going to be able to do.

So if someone from CEG were to drive this car and tell you everything is fine, then what? You're still going to be dissatisfied with the car and you're still going to believe that something is wrong. You might be better off getting into something else, because it seems like you've got your mind made up about it already.

I'm going to agree. Go for a ride in a Contour with Ground Controls and Koni's installed. You'll have a new found appreciation for your car. :D

i sm in rochester and i have eibachs and bat struts. ill take a ride in your car and vice versa and then you will see what everyone is talking about

I'm going to agree. Go for a ride in a Contour with Ground Controls and Koni's installed. You'll have a new found appreciation for your car. :D

i do not think my car with koni's rides bad.. idk what ground controls are though.

I'm inclined to agree with this... just out of curiosity, OP, what kind of cars are you used to driving? If the parts that were installed reference correctly, there's not a whole lot that somebody here is going to be able to do.

So if someone from CEG were to drive this car and tell you everything is fine, then what? You're still going to be dissatisfied with the car and you're still going to believe that something is wrong. You might be better off getting into something else, because it seems like you've got your mind made up about it already.

Thanks for your comments, although, it's slightly amusing.

With all respect, I disagree with you. How can you assume what I believe?

Why would I waste someone’s time and mine having them ride the car and tell me if it's normal or not?

BTW, I've had this car since 2000 and another Contour before that.

Thanks for your comments, although, it's slightly amusing.

With all respect, I disagree with you. How can you assume what I believe?

Why would I waste someone’s time and mine having them ride the car and tell me if it's normal or not?

BTW, I've had this car since 2000 and another Contour before that.

Because people who don't know or understand anything about automobiles are impossible to deal with.

What about your tires? You'd be surprised how much of an affect cheap tires can have on a cars ride quality.

There is a laundry list of things it could be...

Because people who don't know or understand anything about automobiles are impossible to deal with.

What about your tires? You'd be surprised how much of an affect cheap tires can have on a cars ride quality.

There is a laundry list of things it could be...

I know and understand a lot about automobiles.

My tires are:

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred
P205/60R-15 90T VSB
33 lbs

I had the dealer install OEM struts/srpings.

The ride stuill seems very stiff and not normal. Almost as is the struts has to much gas and won't give easy enough. The ride is just horrible.

Went back to the dealer and they checked it again. Nothing wrong and all seems normal to them and they said it needed more time to break in. Well, it's been 12.000 miles already.

Anyone in the area could check the car?

I'm in Shelby Twp.

Thanks

1999 Ford Contour SE L4-122 2.0L DOHC SFI. Vin 3.
Front Auto Trans
Manufactured: 10/98 Front Auto Trans

Replaced 2 Front Struts

3U2Z-18124-AB (SHOCK ABSORBER)

Replaced 2 Rear Struts & Springs

F5RZ-5560-D (SPRING)
F8RZ-18125-AA (SHOCK ABSORBER)

Yep. Got mine done at the dealer, I liked my old rusted out ones better ha. My car also looked retardedly lifted in the front. A year later and a new set of tires my front springs and struts feel a bit better.

Yep. Got mine done at the dealer, I liked my old rusted out ones better ha. My car also looked retardedly lifted in the front. A year later and a new set of tires my front springs and struts feel a bit better.

Glad to see someone else has the same issue.

For me, aftr one year and 12,000 miles and new Goodyear Comforttread tires, still a rough ride.

It honestly feels like the struts are like filled too much and not compressing over the slight bumps in the road. All you hear in the back is bump bump bump bump and the whole car and seat shake.

Even though the dealer said they look, but never did take it for a ride after 2 time visit.

Back