• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Another Huntsville meet?

what is this Gibsons ya'll speak of??????
Who are all of you fruit loops anyway????

If I can't take my attitude and ego I ain't going!!!!!! :p

I don't think your attitude & ego would both fit in the car you're gonna have to leave one of them!:shrug:

:shrug:

what is this Gibsons ya'll speak of??????
Who are all of you fruit loops anyway????

If I can't take my attitude and ego I ain't going!!!!!! :p

HAHAHA Ok well fine...my attitude sucks right now anyway so let's see what would happen if you brought yours...LOL...

Think Lori's Duratec in the Coug is trying to go south. Got some rockin drivetrain noise. Believe it is from the head, hope it is not below it. Lots of clatter in low and mid rpm not much in high under load...:mad: :nonono:

Anyone have any suggestions or know where I can get some donor parts for little money. I think probably what I am going to do is....jump....uhhhh, I think I will need a donor head first, get it cleaned and prepped and ready to go on and then pull the other. I need to get ahold of a compression gauge as well and check to make sure I don't have low compression in the cylinders pointing to a potential piston issue. I am not happy right now!

If someone knows of an engine that is in good condition that can be a drop in, that would be an idea as well....Lemmie know what you guys find

Thanks
Rich

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I've got an 98 SE motor & newer trans I'm about to pull out & replace w/ 3L stuff! Motor has about 110K on it but its auto so no real redline pulls, & it is the wifes car so it hasn't been weekend raced. I haven't even started gathering stuff yet since I just did the 3L on my car but this engine doesn't use oil or anything, maybe you can convince me to go ahead & pull it out!

Think Lori's Duratec in the Coug is trying to go south. Got some rockin drivetrain noise. Believe it is from the head, hope it is not below it. Lots of clatter in low and mid rpm not much in high under load...:mad: :nonono:

Have you pulled the Upper and Lower intakes and cleaned all the passages behind the TB to the EGR? If not, that would be the very first thing I would do. Seriously!

Mine did this for a little while and I had to do the above, plus run several tanks of fuel injector cleaner through it. It could be bad enough that you might have to take it somewhere to have to fuel injectors cleaned, but then again, you can get this stuff over the counter anyway.... so.... there's a lot of options to go through before you start pulling heads man.

Give me a holla if you might need some help. Maybe we can work something to where we can make a trip over there one Saturday that Kim isn't working or sumtin' :cool:

I've got an 98 SE motor & newer trans I'm about to pull out & replace w/ 3L stuff! Motor has about 110K on it but its auto so no real redline pulls, & it is the wifes car so it hasn't been weekend raced. I haven't even started gathering stuff yet since I just did the 3L on my car but this engine doesn't use oil or anything, maybe you can convince me to go ahead & pull it out!
May grab the head from it if it is indeed messed up

Have you pulled the Upper and Lower intakes and cleaned all the passages behind the TB to the EGR? If not, that would be the very first thing I would do. Seriously!

Mine did this for a little while and I had to do the above, plus run several tanks of fuel injector cleaner through it. It could be bad enough that you might have to take it somewhere to have to fuel injectors cleaned, but then again, you can get this stuff over the counter anyway.... so.... there's a lot of options to go through before you start pulling heads man.

Give me a holla if you might need some help. Maybe we can work something to where we can make a trip over there one Saturday that Kim isn't working or sumtin' :cool:
Man I hope it is only injectors...it is seeming like it is valvetrain noise....Lori says c'mon. And that is for anyone else too!!! We will be tapped as far as cash this weekend...love my bills, so the possiblity of getting all the fixings to fix the car are not too good...but the following weekend I will be good.

Just be careful when removing the two hard vacuum lines from the UIM. They're $45 each from Ford, 3 years ago. :blackeye:
Oh don't worry...do the words babying something, mean anything to you??? Guys.....we are really bummed by this. We have owned the car for like a year and now this....man, lemmie tell you, if I can afford it and get it R&R'd at R&R speed shop, it will get ported and polished...GRRRRRRRR:mad:

'Babying' them don't work. I had to pop 'em out with a pencil from inside the UIM. Take off the TB and tap a pencil into the lines' opening to push them out. That's how I kept from breaking both. :cry:

'Babying' them don't work. I had to pop 'em out with a pencil from inside the UIM. Take off the TB and tap a pencil into the lines' opening to push them out. That's how I kept from breaking both. :cry:

Awesome. I will use that method...but will probably use a phillips screw driver to remove those lines...LOL...but if I do, they look like plastic versions of brass fuel line plumbing...but still...I will be careful....

No philips head screw driver will work; they don't screw into the UIM. You've got to either pop them out (using a flat-head screw driver) or push them out. Pulling/popping them out didn't work for me so I had to buy a new brake booster vacuum line from Ford. :mad:

IIRC, when I rebuilt a fellow CEG'ers SVT U/L intakes, his was frozen too. But I put some silicon spray on'em and let'em set for awhile. After a few turns on the fitting, they worked perfectly and popped right out.

Don't you pry the fitting out a small amount, then pull the line out? God! I can't remember! Either way, that's how I got Steven's out on his SVT.

As for this weekend... Taylor has basketball practice on Sat from 10-12, so it would tough for us to get over there then. It would have to be Sunday. So, if you want to plan for something next weekend... that should be cool. Not sure if Kim is working then, so we will see. I will let you know something well before then. She might be starting a new job sometime, so things are a little in the air. :shrug:

Oh! I have two cans of B-12, so don't worry so much about that. We "might" need to get a can or two, but that's all. Plus, if we only pull the upper intake, we shouldn't have to replace the gasket. I have pulled mine several times and haven't replaced it yet. Granted, it's not the best way to go and if I pull mine again I will be replacing it. Same with the TB, EGR and DPFE gaskets. So, don't sweat it too much. The TB and DPFE gaskets are very durable. The EGR gasket is the only one that might tear, but... they normally stick to the EGR without a problem.

Oh another thing!! In case you don't want to use the B-12, which can take the Teflon coating of the TB, we can just grab a few cans of Valvoline PowerSyn. It works great!

I'd go w/ what phil is saying on making sure you need heads before you change them. I'm not going to try to get rich off of you but you know that head gaskets aren't cheap. If you are just going to get heads I've got a set of SVT heads already off that I'd rather let you get than take apart the SE motor for heads, No cams of course! when you figure it out just LMK if you need something!

Back