• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A new cat comes home

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
She ain't too pretty, but runs great and for $700, couldn't really pass it up. '99 with 2.5L and ATX (i know, i know!), new hood and headlights and she'll look a ton better. I was more concerned about mechanically sound than pretty.

Last edited:
Any driver, near that new, for under $1k is a good deal even for just a back up car or beater. Nice buy. See what happens when you get your own house??? You then have room for any project you want! :laugh:

So is this supposed to be a daily driver for you?

Yes, daily driver for both Tess and I. There are some days we are now doing 120 miles between the two of us. Needed something to keep the miles off both the SVT and van, also that gets better mileage than the van!

Any driver, near that new, for under $1k is a good deal even for just a back up car or beater. Nice buy. See what happens when you get your own house??? You then have room for any project you want! :laugh:

Yup, however, I'm really hoping this doesn't become a "big" project.

Don't be so anal about it and it won't turn into a big project. Polish the headlights, bend the dent out of the hood a little and put a bra on it. Wax, detail, shine it up. Drive it into the ground.

Dave nice buy Like Joe says dont go crazy on it. I have a new OEM NOS 99 cougar bra you may want to get your hands on to hide some of the impurities.

••••ING Contiqugars (yes I just combined Contique and Cougar)! Appear to be overflowing the coolant reservoir for some reason. Dealer did say they tightened a clamp on a hose that was leaking a small amount. Wondering if they over tightened. Got a call in to the sales guy who is a long time family friend so he might be able to do something for us. Otherwise it could be a nerve racking 6 hr drive home on Sunday. BTW, no signs of this during last night's test drive.

Last edited:
••••ING Contiqugars (yes I just combined Contique and Cougar)! Appear to be overflowing the coolant reservoir for some reason. Dealer did say they tightened a clamp on a hose that was leaking a small amount. Wondering if they over tightened. Got a call in to the sales guy who is a long time family friend so he might be able to do something for us. Otherwise it could be a nerve racking 6 hr drive home on Sunday. BTW, no signs of this during last night's test drive.

I think this is solved. Dealer looked at the car for free and determined it was the coolant reservoir cap. $16 later and it appears there are no more leaks. Dealer even offered to buy it back for what we paid if it was major.

Cap that was on the car
vunyhugu.jpg

Cap that should have been there
7yjehyqy.jpg

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
for the condensation its fairly easy to take them apart and reseal them or drill a hole in the cap that goes over the bulbs so they can breathe

for the condensation its fairly easy to take them apart and reseal them or drill a hole in the cap that goes over the bulbs so they can breathe

Can you tell me what freaking bulb to use in the fog lights? Online manual says 893, but the pass side has a h1 or something. Haven't pulled the drivers side yet to see if it's the same or not. Did the change the bulb spec at some point?

Dave

Last edited:
Dave
"False" advertising...this dumb Canuck thought you brought home a new four leg CAT
Man you got a fantastic deal
all the best
doug
ps
Hey Blu
I woulda bet my house nobody had posted more than you...then i see FrenchBlueC2 count 15,610
Thanks for all the encouragement Joe...my car is looking sweet with all the SVT parts..

I've never had any problem finding bulbs for the fog lights. I go to walmart, punch the info in the little LCD machine on the bulb aisle, and it tells me which bulb to buy. Simple as that.

I've never had any problem finding bulbs for the fog lights. I go to walmart, punch the info in the little LCD machine on the bulb aisle, and it tells me which bulb to buy. Simple as that.

Yeah, unfortunately the WM I was at didn't have one of those, and apparently, there's either a misprint in the manual (online at ford, no hard copy), or at some point in the car's history someone changed the housings that use a different bulb. I'll have to pull the drivers side and see what it's like.

Dave

You have a very nice looking ride for $700 - well done!! as far as cleaning those headlights, I used the following procedure. Just make sure to sand in the same direction (not orbital or random) and use plenty of water - http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=85854

I'm familiar with wetsanding. However broken tabs make that fairly pointless since they'll be getting replaced.

Dave

Last edited:
Back