• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L trouble!!

So yea, I found out the problem with my car...and I feel like a real idiot. I finally got someone over to start the car so I could stick my head under the hood and listen around to see if I could hear a vaccum leak...and oh my God was there a leak. I took off the upper Plenum today and used a light and sat it between my heads and looked in the intake ports for signs of light. On the Right head (looking from the tranny to engine; firewall side) the center port lit up like Christmas. It turns out my JBWELD injector blockage gave way, and I had a gaping hole! I feel like an idiot for not seeing it before. I mean, how can you miss a dime sized hole? Anyways...I have to take off the uim, and check the prt for debris, and I also think I'm going to drop the y-pipe and check my cat for anything.

Anyone have any suggestions for fixing the hole? Please don't say removing the head and getting it welded. I should have done that in the first place, but I know several people have used the JBWELD and had no problems. So I decided to use that and save time.

Just redo the block, but this time rough it up and then clean it with a good solvent the evaporates.

I am paranoid about this part and I do not to any porting or polishing of the area that the epoxy/weld is going I clean it like three times with solvent after I wire brush it so that it will have no contaminants. OF course the rougher it is the better it will stick/stay, so a piece of 50 grit paper should do the trick. Stuff paper towels in the holes and then use some grease to seal the edges of the paper towels where the touch the walls. WHen you are done, vacuum the ports with a shop vac. Then pull your paper plugs up slowly. Then carefully wipe out all the grease, followed by cleaning the walls with solvent on a paper towel. This is after your new jbweld is secure and dry.

BTW, I asked you to pull the maf plug because it forces the car into a speed density mode and it will determine the amount of fuel to add based on other parameters. If the maf is plugged it will always use the reading it gets, and if you have a large amount of unmetered air you will get the problem you got with long starts and such. I never said the MAF was bad but only meant for you to test the theory.
Sorry I should have clarified before you ordered a maf.

BTW, I asked you to pull the maf plug because it forces the car into a speed density mode and it will determine the amount of fuel to add based on other parameters. If the maf is plugged it will always use the reading it gets, and if you have a large amount of unmetered air you will get the problem you got with long starts and such. I never said the MAF was bad but only meant for you to test the theory.
Sorry I should have clarified before you ordered a maf.

Heh... you totally set him up for failure :p

Back