• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L is toast

OMFG! I posted in this seller's for sale thread...calling him out on it not being a simple fix and the classifieds mod gave me :censored::censored::censored::censored:...

I hope you get some money from him because you have no simple fix. Looks like the mechanic had NO CLUE as to how to swap the timing gear over... :rolleyes:

This is why the classified's mod sucks. Those posts were erased. :rolleyes:

The Classifieds is not a section to argue about the condition of what is being purchased/sold. That is what PM's are for. Potential buyers should be doing their own research. Sometimes some people could post false information about an item that may be for sale, for example. This type of action is unwanted, so therefore there is no posting of that sort allowed. As much as I think it would be a good idea to be able to share knowledge and speculation in the Classifieds, in can cause unwanted drama.

Looks to me like the previous owner/s weren't too fond of changing their oil. That chain guide is a dead giveaway coupled with the cam cap damage.

Looks to me like the previous owner/s weren't too fond of changing their oil. That chain guide is a dead giveaway coupled with the cam cap damage.
motor supposedly only has 7k miles. after the swapwas done it only ran 300 miles:shrug: I bought a new head today and ordered headgaskets and head bolts. hope to have her together again this weekend

Ouch man - I've got like 30K on my 3L.... I think I'm in the clear :laugh:

Good luck on your project - I'm sure it will be even better then before!

motor supposedly only has 7k miles. after the swapwas done it only ran 300 miles:shrug: I bought a new head today and ordered headgaskets and head bolts. hope to have her together again this weekend
It's a good thing you already know that you can't trust anything you've been told about it.

I hope you bought new chain guides too!

Check the oil in the galleys that feed the lifters. If there is any shimmer to the oil in there, you'd be stupid to not drop the pan & check the bearings, (if you haven't already). I know it's not easy to hear but there could be more to this than just head damage, and it would super-suck to ruin a new head because of an underlying issue that went undetected. If that all checks good, I'd still have an oil pressure gauge installed for initial startup.

It's a good thing you already know that you can't trust anything you've been told about it.

I hope you bought new chain guides too!

Check the oil in the galleys that feed the lifters. If there is any shimmer to the oil in there, you'd be stupid to not drop the pan & check the bearings, (if you haven't already). I know it's not easy to hear but there could be more to this than just head damage, and it would super-suck to ruin a new head because of an underlying issue that went undetected. If that all checks good, I'd still have an oil pressure gauge installed for initial startup.

i dont know if i am going to pull the pan or not but im going to drain the oil out of it and do an oil change with mobil 1 im trying to do this as cheap as i can to get it running. it will get a good look over it while i have the head off. my gaskets and head bolts will be here for me to pick up after work. hope to get this over and done with quick.

to be on safe side i would drop the pan and make sure nothing got down there.
depending on how I go about getting the head will decide on if I am going to drop the pan or not. I might go ahead and do it though. I just havent decided if I am going to take the y pipe and header off under the car or just loosen the header at the y and pull out the head with header attached:shrug:

It is new motor time guys. Upon further inspection of the rear head it is screwed too. cam races are shot. not as bad as the front one but bad none the less. I think they used the cam caps off the svt heads cause they arent with the heads in the trunk. Anyways, The car will be loaded up and on its way to my Alabama brother OB1 Where it will get its new heart transplant!

It usually is. Sorry about your luck.

maybe, maybe not ... in this case it seems that the wrong cam caps where used or they where put back in the wrong order and that is going to cause all sorts of problems. if the bottom end wasn't touch then it could be fine, but I wouldn't chance it, just replace the whole thing

Back