• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l Contour Registry

Kaos, stop chatting in this thread please :rolleyes:.

The purpose of this thread is for people to PM questions to someone that might have done a build like theirs. It is also a good way to track who's car has what power plant. It is almost like a carfax that we can put on our 3L builds. People buying 3L contours can search under the user names of the owners and see build threads, problems, troubleshooting, miles on motors, etc....

Well, might as well add my name to the list. Kinda had to do it after a connecting rod bearing let go...:shrug:

98 E0 CSVT with 134577 miles. put about 13k miles on the 05 Escape 3L engine. Used Taurus UIM, 3L cams and coil on plug ignition.

Dyno'd 197whp / 200wtq, went a best of 14.45 @ 97.04mph wih only mod being a Torsen ATB. Still running the restrictive factory exhaust...

1998 Contour SVT 181,000 miles

2005 Taurus 3L with 75,000 miles

Port-matched swap

I took the engine apart and put it back together cleaning it out. I seriously went from a 2.5L without secondaries working, straight to a 3L with working secondaries. Must say, there is quite the difference!

- YR 1999/ total Car miles 312K (Roughly)
-SVT body/ SVT hybrid motor
-3L 2001 ford escape/ @ build 500mi
-not-running/ died at 212k miles on new motor W/ 3rd owner NORCALCOUG
-PM me to for my phone number....too much to type...and my notes are at home. Had Spec Stage 2 Kevlar clutch, Fadanza flywheel, Quaife LSD, Bulldog trans by Terry Haines, Eibach springs, Sachs Modeo ST200 struts, GMK intake and rear strut tower brace.

New 3L 00 SVT

New 3L 00 SVT

2000 Contour SVT 137,000 miles

2004 Taurus 3L with 29,000 miles

Port-matched swap 3L

MSDS Headers and Ypipe

Complete suspension overhaul with full BAT Kit

Trans rebuilds blockers and syncros 2nd 3rd gear

Estimate 210-220 HP

I will update build # and VIN when I have time to look it up.

Mastermind behind the build???? BAGGED!

Just finished my car, full 2006 escape 3 liter. Bone stock, around 15,000 miles.

Need to get it tuned, still runs pretty good for just throwing in an 8 year newer motor.

2 SVTs

2 SVTs

-1999 SVT Red w/tan interior/54,000m
-3L ????(didnt do it myself)/6,000m after swap, SVT intake, no clue on heads/cams
-not-running
-Just-removed Vortec SC, 55-shot NOS, TH MTX with quaife(0 miles), Spec I(0 miles), bosal cat-back, BAT intake, Eibach sport springs, strut tower brace, Diablo chip, red plug wires, electric water pump, screwed up wiring/cooling systems from poor installation of SC/NOS and removal of the SC.

-1999 SVT Black w/tan interior/126,000m
-3l 2005/30-40,000m, 15,000 after swap, SVT intake, no clue on cams (any quick, easy way to tell?), exhaust ported
-running
-port-matched MSDS headers, aftermarket intake, short shifter, coil-over suspension, slotted rotors, strut-tower brace

Soon the black will be used to bring the red to life with the engine/wiring. The short shifter will be swapped as well. Then I plan on an upgraded BAT rear sway bar and bushings, tru-bendz y-pipe, subframe connectors (if I can find), and maybe a 65mm tb, 17" SVT rims. Depends on extra cash. Then get it tuned with the Diablo chip or Nautilus. Also new hoses, engine/tranny mounts, and the like.

1998 svt w/183k miles on body

2004 taurus 3L year w/28k

completed 2/4/10

The original engine still ran strong with 183K on the clock, but the trans didn't fair so well. Swapped the engine since it was already going to be that torn down. The 3L engine is port matched to svt intakes, and felpro gasket matched on exhaust ports. MSDS headers, trubends y-pipe with main cat delete, and st220 valve springs.

98 SVT #2037 132k on body

2004 Taurus 3L 38k miles

completed 3/4/10

port matched, svt cams, stock exhaust with gutted precats.

original motor let go for unknown reasons. I'm guessing it bent the rod, broke the rod, and the piston exploded. and the rod punched the block out in cylinder 1. Never knocked, never hesistated till 2 seconds before it blew

1999 SVT 80K miles

04 Taurus 3L with 39k

Will have more info when swap is done.

I added a nifty chart to the original post showing engine failures based off the info you guys have given here. If your "98" is actually a 98.5, please let me know so you can update your post and I can update the graph.

Back