• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

why are people so jealous of our SVT's?!!

I'd like one, but I'm way to damn picky that I'll never find exactly the one I want. T-Red E0 (check), sunroof (check), CD (check), no spoiler (check),mint condition (not so much so).
Would you settle for four out of five? :shrug:

Many states are changing their policies to where you pay taxes on the actual value of the car and not what you claim you paid for it. Texas just made this change some time ago. Used to be I could go in and say I only paid $100 for a vehicle and that's what I paid taxes on. Those days are long gone. When I bought my Tour almost 2 years ago, I think my taxes were around $350.
I got really pissed off when Texas did this. I had bought a non-running POS Zetec for a couple of hundred. Got to the Tax Assessors office and they wanted to charge me tax on an assessed value of $2300!!!! Talk about pissed! The State sets the value, and you have to jump through so many hoops to have that value change that it's not worth the trouble. It really chaps my ass that they still call this a sales tax. They need to call it for what it is: property tax.

I got really pissed off when Texas did this. I had bought a non-running POS Zetec for a couple of hundred. Got to the Tax Assessors office and they wanted to charge me tax on an assessed value of $2300!!!! Talk about pissed! The State sets the value, and you have to jump through so many hoops to have that value change that it's not worth the trouble. It really chaps my ass that they still call this a sales tax. They need to call it for what it is: property tax.

Well unfortunate but understandable. Problem was most people would under report the amount paid like HoustonLX said. So the state was losing millions of tax dollars. And remember we have no State income tax like 45 other states do.
If you buy from a licensed dealer then no assessed value, tax is based on actual sales price. Texas trusts used car dealers more than they do their citizens, haha.
But having said that I am totally against sales tax on used cars. It is paid once when new and that should be it. How many times will they collect sales tax on the same vehicle? Doesn't make sense to me.

I get lots of looks in mine around here. I've only seen a handful of others around.

I usually get "that has that SHO engine in it doesn't it?"

I finally had someone actually know what the car was and compliment me the other day. He was an AT&T guy that came over to work on my home phone service and said he used to own a FSVT but sold it to get a Speed3.

I Was stopped at the gas station for the first time.

He was like: :drool: , Then like: :shrug: "Buick?", I was like: :nonono:, he was like: :confused: I was like: "SVT Contour", He was like: :cool:, I was like: :laugh: Then like: :blackeye:

Some lady going for a walk with her kids trolled past my house last night. She said, "are those your contours?". I said yep. She said "I had one of those 8 years ago and it was the worst car I have ever owned. It was a lemon and I am still paying for it". I said, they all are lemons :D. She was discusted looking with the site of a contour, it was funny:laugh:.

I had a guy at the gas station asking me, why I was putting premium gas in it. I told him it was SVT and engine calls for it. He was like, oh… He was in Audi S4 pumping regular:)

I have had most of this happen....

Our neighborhood is also a muscle car heaven... 50-60 cars from the 50's-70's within a 20 mile radius... and 4k population. One day when they were all at my parents bar I pulled in and got the "what the hell is that?" Also, them - "thats a taurus sho isn't it?..... me - Yes, that is why they put SVT on the back." When I left did a little smoke run and then it got a little more attention... but of course i still got the "Sounds like ????" comments.

I have had one person in this area actually stop and say " Nice SVT, always wanted one like that." He was driving a chrysler sebring so it was nice to see someone else recognize it.

Some lady going for a walk with her kids trolled past my house last night. She said, "are those your contours?". I said yep. She said "I had one of those 8 years ago and it was the worst car I have ever owned. It was a lemon and I am still paying for it". I said, they all are lemons :D. She was discusted looking with the site of a contour, it was funny:laugh:.

I know of so many people that have owned them and gave me the same reaction when I said I had one. Of course most were ATX. :laugh:

What ever man. My mystique I would take across country before I would take my SVT, but thats not happening anymore.

well thats alittle different, most stock to highly modified .... I mean look what happened to my contour at SZ this year .... :nonono: :cry:

???? I know. When I heard about it I was like oh crap. Honestly I am finding out that my black one is much better/reliable than the silver one.

It wasn't your contour breaking down, it was Spec sucking. :laugh:

granted but still. my mystique has been nothing but reliable and its 100% stock. just hop in a drive it every day. I have had some isseus with the contour but then again look how highly modified it is. however I am not to concerned about driving any of the cars anywhere. well actually I would be most comfortable in the SVT ....

I rarely get anybody asking about my car, except yesterday I had some guy asking me where I got my "lowering kit" I assumed he meant my springs and told him I bought my springs from a guy off craigslist and they were made by Eibach. The guy then replied "Eibach makes body kits?" I almost wanted to laugh my nuts off, but I said "oh you mean the ground effects package, no thats from the factory, the SVT's came with them." He wanted to know where to get it for his girlfriend's mystique.

When I got my SVT and had the ST200 wheels on it I had a guy stop and talk to me telling me how much he loved the SVTs and how he used to own one but he had to put 2 different transes on it, one before of the diff and one because of syncros. This was 2 days after I had put a trans in mine, and I smiled and said "Yup, just finished putting my trans in too :) " The guy thought that was funny, said my car looked beautiful with the wheels on it and took off.

Back