• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Swirl/split port 3L long block swap? (already been searchin)

alright well to each their own.

I would at least suggest you search the term before trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

although semantics are above and beyond the goal of actually getting something to work.

we could call it the pink-emu intake manifold as long as we all communicate.

just my 0.02

maybe you guys don't use the standard acronyms, but that is the correct term for what you guys call "dual path" IM's.
Jesus christ dude take some reading lessons. I said that I CONSIDER our intake dual length/path. I didn't say that everyone here calls it that... hell, I didn't even say that I call it that.

starting to remind me of people wanting to think ATB's actually count as LSD's technically just because the manufacturer markets them that way to laymen.
Limited Slip Differential.
Any diff that does something to prevent the power from following the path of least resistance, is an LSD. It's LIMITED slip, not ZERO slip.

I would at least suggest you search the term before trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
No one said that you don't know what you're talking about. Whether you like it or not, no one uses that term here. Use it yourself if you like, but don't hate on us for NOT using it.

although semantics are above and beyond the goal of actually getting something to work.
Which is why some of us hang around HERE and not FCO.

Are you sure your name isn't Dom?

just my 0.02
Which is becoming less and less valuable every day.

Jesus christ dude take some reading lessons. I said that I CONSIDER our intake dual length/path. I didn't say that everyone here calls it that... hell, I didn't even say that I call it that.

Limited Slip Differential.
Any diff that does something to prevent the power from following the path of least resistance, is an LSD. It's LIMITED slip, not ZERO slip.

No one said that you don't know what you're talking about. Whether you like it or not, no one uses that term here. Use it yourself if you like, but don't hate on us for NOT using it.

Which is why some of us hang around HERE and not FCO.

Are you sure your name isn't Dom?

Which is becoming less and less valuable every day.

sweet jesus dude, what is you're issue? I wasn't flaming you or anything, I was just saying to at least look it up.

you're over here being a prick for some reason.

and whats up with calling me Dom?

well alright, I've searched both the web and this site and the only place the term "CKP" shows up is in this thread.

anybody care to clue me in here?

ckp? as in crank postion sensor? ckp is common on the probe forums..more commonly called cksp.
nobody question your intelligence..so ease up on the hostility,it will win you 0 points around here,or most forums outside of the honda boards.:shrug: i was simply telling you that around here its called a split port,or simply svt manifold. who really cares what the technical name is. that said,if we could get back to the original topic that would be great,otherwise this is just going to get locked.

so you don't know either?

SicSE knew what it meant. I just don't get it. Do you think that belittling people you will inspire them to help you out. :shrug:You came on here asking for help, but you bite the hand that feeds you. Imho, you need to lose the attitude, condesencion, and remarks if you want people to help you out.

(really not trying to be a prick)

I think you need to try a little harder.:nonono:

Haha, thanks guys.

I'm not a jerk, but for some reason when I get to a new forum it takes a while for me to settle in and figure out who really knows what their talking about.

And I'm still not backing down on the ATB-LSD thing, it's simple enough to check out "how things work" and then you will know. or you could e-mail terry and ask him.

And I had a suspicion that CKP had to so with the trigger wheel pick up, but I still dont see how CKP is an abbreviation for crank position sensor.

But thats OT right now, and I agree, I don't want my thread locked, so lets get back to my engine!!!

CPS? that would make more sense.

Anyways, how bad IS the split port 3l really? I ask because I'm partial to the IMRC and theres only one 01 Taurus in my pull-a-part, but I see a ton of the older ones.

Like, I know I'd have to be super careful not to vapor lock it as the weak rods would bend, but other than that, how many miles do you think it would be good for bolted to a 5spd?

Price is my main motivational factor with this car. I'm trying not to put much more than the blue book into it so I don't wind up loosing a ton of money when I sell it in 2 years or so.

And I'm still not backing down on the ATB-LSD thing, it's simple enough to check out "how things work" and then you will know. or you could e-mail terry and ask him.
Stop implying that I don't know how things work and we'll get along much better. I fix Fords for a living, get it? This is what I do... it's what pays my bills - how many diffs have YOU had in YOUR hands to look at and SEE how they work? Any at all? I've had my share of rearends and a few front drives apart. I've also done more than ample reading and test-taking on "how things work" and what they do. So don't come in here saying that I, or any others, don't know "how things work" because you don't understand a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing definition.
From the dictionary:
Limited Slip Differential
an automotive differential that can transfer power from a wheel that has lost traction to one that has not.
If you truly believe that a Quaife cannot meet the above definition, reread it until you understand that it DOES. By definition, a Quaife is an LSD, whether you, Terry, or anyone else likes it or not. If YOU want to say that you don't CONSIDER it a true LSD, that's fine. But don't argue a factual definition... it just makes you look dumb.

I still dont see how CKP is an abbreviation for crank position sensor.
Well then call Ford and tell them that they're stupid for abbreviating it that way... because all of their literature since a crank sensor has been used, abbreviates it CKP. While you're at it, you could maybe also tell them that abreviating the cam sensor as CMP is silly too.

Anyways, how bad IS the split port 3l really?
I've never read anything about it being bad or weak until you said it. Which is why I asked the Q about what exactly is considered weak.

the weak rods would bend, but other than that, how many miles do you think it would be good for bolted to a 5spd?
That may depend on how much weaker the rods are. But they were changed in 99 so if you think, or have read that they're a problem, just get a 99 or later.

Price is my main motivational factor with this car.
Then just drop in the lowest mileage 3L split port you can find and stop worrying about rods that won't ever likely be a problem.

well since you guys are such experts you would realize that duratecs use both a cam position sensor and a crank position sensor. lol.

so back on topic....

if I decide to go ahead with a split port swap, and use my intake manifolds, what problems will I run into?

I know I'm supposed to swap the timing cover to my 2.5 one, and flip the trigger wheel because the pick up is on the other side of the 2.5 timing cover.

I know I'll have to swap on my 2.5 oil pan (new gaskets), so it will fit in my sub frame.

and I know I'm supposed to need an electric coolant pump from BAT. is that the only way? what about using the original coolant pump from the 3L? or does that sit in a place occupied by another accessory on the 2.5?

and is the PAS in the same place (in the valley)?

and I know I'll need gaskets for my intake manifolds.

which exhaust manifolds do I need to use?

what gaskets will I need for the timing cover?

will I have to mate up any EGR stuff to use my IM and the full split port 3l engine?

do I have to remove the crank sprockets to turn the crank trigger wheel?

when people mention cam possition sensors, will the 2.5 timing cover make for issues there?

I'm guessing I'll need all of the accessories swapped over to the new engine.

what else am I missing?

is there a how to for this job that I haven't been able to find?

if the engine costs 170, what would you expect the rest of the job to add up to?

thanks guys.

and is the PAS in the same place (in the valley)?
In all my years of working on cars, I've never come across a PAS acronym. Humor me with it's meaning.

which exhaust manifolds do I need to use?
The 3L's are a better design & will flow better, as they are not mani-cats like the 2.5L's. You will need to do some exhaust work if you want to use the 3L's. If the 2.5L exhaust mani's will bolt up, (they DO have the same bolt pattern, but I'm not sure if the bolt holes are the same distance apart), you won't need any exhaust work.

what gaskets will I need for the timing cover?
The three 2.5L timing cover gaskets... and I would put in a new front crank seal.

will I have to mate up any EGR stuff to use my IM and the full split port 3l engine?
If you use your 2.5L exhaust manifolds, then the 2.5L EGR stuff will bolt up without modification. Not positive if you use the 3.0L exhaust manifolds, but I'm pretty sure the EGR bung in the 3L exhaust is in a slightly different location than the 2.5L.

do I have to remove the crank sprockets to turn the crank trigger wheel?
No. The wheel is the outer-most piece on the front of the crank when you have the front cover off.

when people mention cam possition sensors, will the 2.5 timing cover make for issues there?
No - the sensor is in the same place for both engines.

That's all I can really help with.

Last edited:
Back