• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

yup

i just ran mobil 1 full synthetic. :) changed every 5000 miles

the fiero runs mobil 5000. when i change motors to make the car faster, i'll run synthetic in that. this burns a tiny bit, so im not going to run full synthetic in it.

the one thing that sucks about that car though is the odometer does not work, so i kind of have to guess when the 3000 or so is up. last year, i think i am sitting at more like 5-6000!!! OOPS! like i said though, i do want a faster motor!

just throw a super charged 460 in there.

just throw a super charged 460 in there.

right now i am leanign toward the 3400 v6 out of say a grand am GT. i had a 3100 in my olds and the car had great pick up, good power (and that was a big car!), the motor can be found cheap also, so all plus's. i think they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 185HP in the GA. with custom exhaust i'll pick up some more.

the heads and intake are all aluminum and flow so much better than the 2.8 in the car right now.

oh, and the car will sound fantastic! i love the sound of a 60* V6 :D

right now i am leanign toward the 3400 v6 out of say a grand am GT. i had a 3100 in my olds and the car had great pick up, good power (and that was a big car!), the motor can be found cheap also, so all plus's. i think they have somewhere in the neighborhood of 185HP in the GA. with custom exhaust i'll pick up some more.

the heads and intake are all aluminum and flow so much better than the 2.8 in the car right now.

oh, and the car will sound fantastic! i love the sound of a 60* V6 :D

My gf's mom's Alero has the 3.4, it's pretty peppy but I absolutely hate that car :laugh: Also what year would you be going for? What will you use for engine management?

i just ran mobil 1 full synthetic. :) changed every 5000 miles

the fiero runs mobil 5000. when i change motors to make the car faster, i'll run synthetic in that. this burns a tiny bit, so im not going to run full synthetic in it...

Keep in mind that Mobil continues to degrade in quality as they cheapen the stocks. It is not the gold standard it was in the Eighties. I would seriously look at Motorcraft full syn or, if you want to spend all the marbles, Red Line.

elraido said:
...I am going from super tech full syn to valvoline highmilage full syn.

Super Tech?! Goodness. Pick up a six pack of Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30. Great oil, high quality, reasonable price. I'm not much for those high mileage oils -- they tend simply to be thinner, and the whole thing strikes me as a gimmick. I prefer the Ford factory maintenance schedule and products that were used when the car was new. I think you'll have better results that way. :cool:

I would seriously look at Motorcraft full syn or, if you want to spend all the marbles, Red Line.

Where do you find the full synthetic MC? Only through the Ford dealer? I've been using the blend and I'm happy with it but wouldn't mind switching up to full synthetic this year for the Contour :cool:

Keep in mind that Mobil continues to degrade in quality as they cheapen the stocks. It is not the gold standard it was in the Eighties. I would seriously look at Motorcraft full syn or, if you want to spend all the marbles, Red Line.

Super Tech?! Goodness. Pick up a six pack of Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-30. Great oil, high quality, reasonable price. I'm not much for those high mileage oils -- they tend simply to be thinner, and the whole thing strikes me as a gimmick. I prefer the Ford factory maintenance schedule and products that were used when the car was new. I think you'll have better results that way. :cool:

I need a full synthetic for the winters. Anything else I need an oil pan heater so the car will start. Amsoil is the BEST for that fluid up to -65F, and it is produced only 60 miles from me :)

Where do you find the full synthetic MC? Only through the Ford dealer? I've been using the blend and I'm happy with it but wouldn't mind switching up to full synthetic this year for the Contour :cool:

I think it's a dealer item -- I haven't seen it in any of the auto parts stores. I wonder how dear it is -- I was sick of paying Mobil's prices for dubious merit, so I made the switch to the Motorcraft synthetic blend. The quality and protection of that oil is great -- I doubt you'd see any benefit from going up to synthetic, though you'll surely feel it in your wallet.

I doubt you'd see any benefit from going up to synthetic, though you'll surely feel it in your wallet.
Pretty much! That and the fact that I don't put many miles on the contour keep me using the blend :laugh:

Engine has 1200 miles on it for the start of this season though, so if I were to switch to full synthetic now would be the time :cool:

I think it's a dealer item -- I haven't seen it in any of the auto parts stores. I wonder how dear it is -- I was sick of paying Mobil's prices for dubious merit, so I made the switch to the Motorcraft synthetic blend. The quality and protection of that oil is great -- I doubt you'd see any benefit from going up to synthetic, though you'll surely feel it in your wallet.

supertech ftw! At $13 for 5 qts of a full synthetic how can you loose? :laugh:

Pretty much! That and the fact that I don't put many miles on the contour keep me using the blend :laugh:

Engine has 1200 miles on it for the start of this season though, so if I were to switch to full synthetic now would be the time :cool:

Should you decide to, you can switch at any time. It's an old wive's tale that you can't use one after using the other. :cool:

supertech ftw! At $13 for 5 qts of a full synthetic how can you loose? :laugh:

You know, I've always been happy with their products. There degreaser and penetrating oil are significantly cheaper and work as well if not better. The ATF they sell seems to work perfectly fine as well.

You know, I've always been happy with their products. There degreaser and penetrating oil are significantly cheaper and work as well if not better. The ATF they sell seems to work perfectly fine as well.

At first I was sceptical but then after reading some of the members on here, I gave it a whirl. Haven't had any problems yet.

Well Ford doesnt make its own oil, but I know you can buy it at Wal-Mart. I almost bought some there. But I decded to just do something else.

Also. I got a new windshield today.

Well here it is. I had a chip and a crack right by the rearview mirror mount, so I had it looked at. The guy told me that it was better just to replace it. So I had them do it today. I didnt pay a cent. WOOT!!! for glass coverage w/ no deductible.

windshield001.jpg

windshield002.jpg

Mmmmmm.....Nothing like new glass..:drool::drool:

Last edited:
NIce upgrades. Should last a while. Would you go down there and get it or ship it? Shipping would cost around the same as driving it I think. (around $500ish).
I would not ship. Its just not worth the risk to me I guess. Besides, I have some friends in Mustang OK. :cool: Now I just need my car to sell.

I would not ship. Its just not worth the risk to me I guess. Besides, I have some friends in Mustang OK. :cool: Now I just need my car to sell.

Ticket from Duluth to Oklahoma City $699
Ticket from MPS to Oklahoma City $650

Ouch. And then there is gas coming back.....a drive of 840 miles back. Figure 25 mpg (might be more)......that is over $100 in gas as well, but you can drive that in a day easy. Should be about a 10-12 hour drive. I have driven to and from Mankato in one day before and that is around 600 miles total, it isn't too bad. But, figure plane ticket at $700+gas$120+Car$2250=$3070 total. Not too bad. Plates and everything to get it registered as well (april tags again :) ) will be around ~$80.

If you have it shipped you could save around $300 or so. Just make sure he takes pics of the odometer and condition before he ships.

Back