• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Why Have Your Motors Blown Up?

2.5 got shipwrecked on a concrete island. catastrophic oil loss. operator error. new 02 3L, smooth sailing.

2009_0317detour0004.jpg

1st- 98 2.5: lost head gasket from overheating (long story involving a stripper), and broke a chain guide.

2nd- 02 full 3.0: spliced in taurus coil pack the wrong way and couldnt hunt the problem down until it knocked the rod bearings to death.

3rd- 04 full 3.0: running ok, needs some minor bugs sorted still

Thanks Ford!?!?!

Thanks Ford!?!?!

My SVT falls under the the oil starvation catagory (spun a rod bearing). After a little research i found that its pretty common... something about the baffles in the oil pan?

Engine#1: Original '98 2.5 cylinder #2 rod escaped through the side of the
block.
Engine#2: Replacement '00 2.5l spun a rod bearing on cylinder#2
Engine#3: Suggestions??????:help:

2.5L Low oil I assume as I bought the car with a rod knock
3.0 L 2004 Taurus 46k died 10k mile later probably from low oil maybe able to install new bearings.... port matched 04 cams

still running like a top when i put a clutch in it. its ALMOST as nice as mine :p

Lol. Glad you could get her back on the road for Elraido. I make no claims to it at this point, no one knows how to touch her like me ;).

Lol. Glad you could get her back on the road for Elraido. I make no claims to it at this point, no one knows how to touch her like me ;).

I am not f'ing it up. :laugh: It is going into storage for the winter now that we have the Navigator. Spring time will include the tune, some paint touch ups since the MN winter was not nice to the wheel wheels :nonono: and some other routine stuff.

i was impressed at how well the car was put together pud. my only complaint was every bolt was a pain to get out probably because of the thing being an inch off the ground in a duluth area winter. it was showing slight rust on the underside, on the roll resistors and the bolts for them. all in all, was an easy car to work on. :)

That and I'm known for my torque; we call it 'pudmunkie tight' :laugh:.

Elraido I'm glad to hear you're caring for her like she needs... Keep good care for when I'm ready to buy it back :cool:

Sold my 3L Contour to a local guy earlier this week. Last night it seems he blew the motor up. Oil light turned on when he was on the highway going about 80 and it started knocking. He towed it back to me and I'm diagnosing it now. No valve train issues, plugs are good, I guess next up is the bearings and a compression test.... :cry: Car was perfect for me. I drove it for two years without any issues. I'm not refunding him money but I told him if he payed for the parts I'd fix it. I know he isn't happy but I'm not sure what I can do to change that other than help fix it.

What:confused:?!?!?!?

How does that happen:nonono:.

good question, most likely oil pump failure....how? i have no idea as it seems the oil pump still works, i bought the car Tuesday....half a tank of gas later and the car blows up on my way up to Duluth the very next day, Wednesday. i owned the car for 1 day:blackeye:. chris is helping me out, to some extent, ( free motor would be nice as it seems you have already spent the money) he is trying to figure out what needs to be done, although I'm sure it's rod bearing's. should find out today what the cause to failure was.

What:confused:?!?!?!?

How does that happen:nonono:.

Old motor spun a bearing on bank 1. The bearing was still mostly intact when I pulled it part yesterday. Pulled the old motor and dropped a new one in last night. It was a very long day but I'm glad the new motor is in and running.

good question, most likely oil pump failure....how? i have no idea as it seems the oil pump still works, i bought the car Tuesday....half a tank of gas later and the car blows up on my way up to Duluth the very next day, Wednesday. i owned the car for 1 day:blackeye:. chris is helping me out, to some extent, ( free motor would be nice as it seems you have already spent the money) he is trying to figure out what needs to be done, although I'm sure it's rod bearing's. should find out today what the cause to failure was.

no it was a bearing that spun and once you open up the bearing you loose oil pressure due to loss of restriction. I would change every bearing in the motor to celvite 77. Did you run with the OEM bearings? I have noticed way to many stock engine spinning bearing makes me believe the bearing they are using are junk. I know of more than I like to say of engines that have failed more with OEM bearign then aftermarket ones and you have to polish the journals if you have scarrs too.

no it was a bearing that spun and once you open up the bearing you loose oil pressure due to loss of restriction. I would change every bearing in the motor to celvite 77. Did you run with the OEM bearings? I have noticed way to many stock engine spinning bearing makes me believe the bearing they are using are junk. I know of more than I like to say of engines that have failed more with OEM bearign then aftermarket ones and you have to polish the journals if you have scarrs too.

I pulled the old motor and put a low mileage 04-05 motor in. I didn't want to worry about another bearing spinning in 50 miles. The old motor will be scrapped. This is the first 3L of mine that has spun a bearing. Others were direct user error (no oil in engine for two others after an oil change).

Back