• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Who here might be interested in ........

Who here might be interested in ........

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we are taking deposits for stage 2 since the pipes are the same and by the time I get it done I will have the stage 2 kit finalized but price has not been set but I can tell you it will be between $3400.00-$3600.00 comes with everything to support 3 liter taking you change the fuel pump which we will sell maybe adapted and send back a core.
It guarantess you are in the second batch and anyone in the second batch can withdraw before the first batch is finished then they are locked in after the first batch is done.

Are you guys taking deposits for the stage 2?

We will write up a pdf and add pics to simplify the install. Plus we will be assisting anyone who has further problems. I will be ordering the chip burner once I get someone to buy one. Puckpuck is the only one so far since he wants the availabilty to flip tunes on the fly where the xcal2 is a little different. So yes we will offer the chip at a lesser price to the ones who don't need the programmer type.

Your exhaust will work for the 2.5 liter and will not hurt your performance at this point on the level you are at now. The TB I will let Tom my partner answer the question on the tuning but my guess is no and at worse $50 add.
You won't be using your y-pipe since i will supply the new one. Also if you want to tap all the power down low and up top the MSDS headers I do sell coated at $250 shipped with kit at no extra charge.

Thanks for the good comments Joey

First off, I'm a bit of a newb, so I hope I don't get flamed.

This is great work you guys are doing, especially the fact that you're so responsive in this thread answering questions every day. That basically inspires confidence that you know what you're doing and you're serious about making this a great product. :cool:

Anyways, here are my questions:
  • You can see my car's mods in my sig...will that setup work okay with the base tune, or would it be slightly off, as I'm assuming the base tune would be for stock TB, Y-pipe and exhaust? (and yes, I know, I should probably get a bigger exhaust than the Borla, but I'm more interested in a quiet-ish ride with some extra power than I am in pure power)
  • Is the only option for loading the base tune the X-Cal2, or are there other (read: cheaper) options?
  • I think this was asked by RawBurt before but I couldn't find an answer...will the kit come with instructions?
  • I wouldn't be doing the install myself (for some reason pulling parts out of a car scares me, but I'll rip apart a computer no problem), so how long do you think it would take a competent mechanic to install the kit? And if it doesn't come with instructions, would it even be possible?
One suggestion...as this thread gets long and unwieldy, it might save you guys some time to consolidate the most frequently asked questions in one spot; perhaps a new thread somewhere. Also laying out the kit options in one spot, as that seems to be a popular question.

Once again, thanks for the great work!

Thanks for the answers, Joey.

Just thought of a couple more questions:
  • I live in Toronto...can you forsee any issues running this kit in sub-zero temperatures (i.e. like 0 degrees Fahrenheit)? Idle problems...stalling, etc.
  • I'm assuming the kit doesn't come with a turbo timer; how much do they generally cost, and about how long should the car be idled before being shut off?
Still wondering about a couple of my previous questions:
  • Will the base tune work okay with an optimized TB and the Borla cat-back?
  • How long do you think it should take a competent mechanic to install the kit?
Thanks again.

Thanks for the answers, Joey.

Just thought of a couple more questions:
  • I live in Toronto...can you forsee any issues running this kit in sub-zero temperatures (i.e. like 0 degrees Fahrenheit)? Idle problems...stalling, etc.
  • I'm assuming the kit doesn't come with a turbo timer; how much do they generally cost, and about how long should the car be idled before being shut off?
Still wondering about a couple of my previous questions:
  • Will the base tune work okay with an optimized TB and the Borla cat-back?
  • How long do you think it should take a competent mechanic to install the kit?
Thanks again.

Hi, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Cold temps. Two areas will suffer from a turbo kit. Cold start emissions and cold start-wear on the turbo bearings. However, you can minimize any significant cold start wear by having a good quality oil with the correct below operating temperature viscosity.
5w-30 maybe, 0w-40 Mobil1 for sure. Then you shouldn't have any issues.

For the emissions. You are adding 4-5 feet of additional exhaust piping and a huge lump of metal that is the turbine housing. Your exhaust temperatures are going to be much cooler and therefore at idle your catalytic converter may no light-off. You will have to drive the car around to get it up to operating temp and then it should be good. However, when you come back to a stop or idle a while your system will cool and your catalyst will not work efficiently.
For your area of the country it will almost be a must for you to use header wrap and a turbo blanket. If you can keep the heat inside the exhaust pipes then everything will work better.

Also, you will have excessive moisture condensing inside your exhaust piping at idle as the water produced from the combustion process is going to condense out. The header wrap will minimize this.
In your area a turbo timer will not be needed in winter at all. Better for you to shut it off warm.
However, if you have a hot summer you would idle the car about 1 full minute after stopping. I usually recommend it by EGT levels.
If the EGT is close to the head then you would let the temps drop to around 450C before shutting it off.

Tuning should not present an issue for you living up there. All your stock hardware is preserved other than the downstream O2 sensors. The base tune will be more than sufficient as long as you use it within the specified proven boost ranges.

Your web site make me wanna buy an S40 AWD.

You might want to put a note up on the Contour turbo section to indicate the kit is for MTX cars only at this point.

Agreed.
That S40 looks so much better. :)

One thought -- since SCT has contractual requirement that you pretty much have to sell the XCal2 at MSRP, so maybe you should just put that MSRP there, instead TBA. It is the 'XCal2/Tune' bundle that you have some room for pricing. And, you know almost every customer you will have, will be someone who is already familiar with your work (like forum members). You won't expect any average Surfer Joe come to your site and order an XCal2 from you do you? So what you can do is like the LC-1 GB. GB buyer can put in the comment line to get the special pricing because you will still need to review the Pay Pal transaction through the system.

Just a thought though. You can totally disregard and no bad feeling.

What's it going to take to get this Stage 1 kit on my 95 contour ODB I?

I apologize if this was already discussed in the thread, I read 25 pages of it and didn't see anything.

What's it going to take to get this Stage 1 kit on my 95 contour ODB I?

I apologize if this was already discussed in the thread, I read 25 pages of it and didn't see anything.

A chip and a few more dollars. We are an SCT dealer now and we can buy the chip burner if there are a number of you 95 guys who want to get it, we can spring for it.

i was wondering since your offering 4 different setups of turbos in the stage 1 kit which would u recomend? or what are the pros and cons like this one spools quicker but produces less and this one takes longer to spool but really pushes. that kind of thing. hope that made sense

i was wondering since your offering 4 different setups of turbos in the stage 1 kit which would u recomend? or what are the pros and cons like this one spools quicker but produces less and this one takes longer to spool but really pushes. that kind of thing. hope that made sense

This will be hard to answer all these questions in one shot...but what the heck! :D

Chips: We'll buy a chip burner if we get a few people wanting chips. The 4 position flip chips can be used on any of the years from what I understand. That is four tunes that can be switched instantly with the switch. High boost with race gas, normal boost on normal gas, etc. As opposed to the xcal2 which holds four tunes but requires 2-3minutes between reflashing. The xcal2 does act as a code scanner and a datalogger as well with a laptop. At this point if you need chips with your turbo kit then figure it will cost you $3050 total.

Pro's and Cons of different setups:

- Stage1: Economical starting point. Pro's are that it is cheap, is nearly a bolt on modification to the stock motor that does not require you to destroy your emissions systems, yet allows power levels superior to all other 2.5L modifications outside of nitrous. It upgrades to the stage two system with a few parts and tuning. It can support even a 3L engine. Spoolup time will be determined on the turbo sizing you choose. You are not limited to the size we choose for you and will help you pick the turbo appropriate for your application. If there is a price difference to use for that different turbo we'll let you know but otherwise no added costs. If you want a genuine torque monster on a stock 2.5L, you don't plan on changing the engine, we can help by sizing it to a turbo that will produce extremely rapid spool and much higher torque levels. If you want a high rpm track car then the turbo we selected should be fine for you.

Stage2: A bit more expensive due to changes in parts. We envision a larger intercooler, headers now feeding the pipes, larger injectors and maf, possibly a larger turbo. Will work well for a high power 3L or a built 2.5L engine. May require the owner to do more custom work on the engine bay and exhaust systems.

Stage3: We envision this to be a top of the line high flowing turbo, best intercooler we can fit possibly water-air system, large injectors, maf, possibly even a slightly different piping system. This is still on the drawing board at this time.

We are still trying to figure out tuning for the people in UK, Spain, etc I will keep you updated and if you find someone there who can tranfer maps then we an give the tuner the tables.

Oh if you want to see the final results of the stage 1 KIt check the dyno section.

I´m meeting with tuner here in Spain, to know if they can flash the archives to aur euro ECUs.

Can we use ZEX wet kit with the stage 1 in our stock 2.5L? or it can damage the engine? so much power for it?

Burrita - Where did you put your dist block for the battery relocate? Is mine going to have to be moved?

DCFC0501.jpg

DCFC0501.jpg

Mine is next to the fuse junction box the area is bour 4 inches wide and fits real nice on the side of the box. You can put it downward more you will have no issues with the intake pipe.

Just an update in the various areas:

Turbo Kits:
Contour:
Joey has finally received all the pipe from the distributor and over the last several says been perfecting the jigs. While doing so he has optimized some of the piping to reduce bends and welds for both better flow and less chances of error during construction. He should already have started constructing the new pipes

Volvo S40:
Not really part of this thread but some people may be interested in it. I have completed the new manifold and this weekend I am installing the kit on the car. I should have it running in a day or so

Tuning:
SCT dealer software and xcal2s have arrived this past week but we are waiting to unlock the software because the key is faulty. :nonono:
We should have this problem worked out Monday so that we can have the tunes ready in time for any kit that ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back