• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which motor oil to use

Either exceed the need so far that you should find something else to loose sleep over. You really don't need anything better than Motorcraft semi synthetic 5W30 (or even 5W20).

The only thing that RP is doing that Motorcraft 5w30 can't do is lightening your wallet. The MC is a great oil when used within it's limits. I would also advise you to consider Valvoline Maxlife Semi-syn you can get this oil at really good prices if you watch the sales.

I was going to say if you live in a cold weather climate, full synthetic motor oil is easily the way to go. It stays fluid at a much colder temp than semi-syth or regular oil. Easier start up, no need for a block heater, etc. But since you live in San Deigo you are fine.

I would also advise you to consider Valvoline Maxlife Semi-syn you can get this oil at really good prices if you watch the sales.

I second the MaxLife oil. Many tests have shown its the best synthetic blend oil you can buy for under $10 a quart (yes some cost that much for a blend) and it will do 5000 miles no problem in almost any car.

Either exceed the need so far that you should find something else to loose sleep over. You really don't need anything better than Motorcraft semi synthetic 5W30 (or even 5W20).

I like this post. I was going to say Motorcraft 5W-30. I used to run Mobil 1, but got tired of paying their high prices for no benefit. I use the Motorcraft in my '88 Town Car's 5.0, my girl's '86 Cougar's 3.8, and my '00 SVT's 2.5.

I like this post. I was going to say Motorcraft 5W-30. I used to run Mobil 1, but got tired of paying their high prices for no benefit. I use the Motorcraft in my '88 Town Car's 5.0, my girl's '86 Cougar's 3.8, and my '00 SVT's 2.5.

what? you didn't like my post?

Heck just use Walmart 5w-30 full synthetic. Cheaper and if you are not prolonging changes is as good as anything out there. You get full synthetic at blend prices and get the advantages of synthetic.

Heck just use Walmart 5w-30 full synthetic. Cheaper and if you are not prolonging changes is as good as anything out there. You get full synthetic at blend prices and get the advantages of synthetic.

I used Super-Tec and was happy with it.

Depending on where you live and who the ST supplier is you can get great oil at their low low price. Down here its Warren which is a decent name in oil. My Mazdas both got the ST 15w-40 oil for turbo diesels and loved it.

before the trans blew on my 1997 saturn SC1, i always ran Mobil 1. It had 130k on it when i got it. at 170k i switched to Amsoil. right away the entire engine felt smoother, it started better, ran better, got better gas milage(went from 29 to 32MPG) When i got the contour i put it in and it was incredable. but i think its because i went from normal oil to Amsoil. But if you use the Amsoil and the special filter it will last 12 months or 25,000 miles and comes out cleaner than the mobil 1 came out after 5k.

Most major oils on the market are identical in protective qualities. Yes the generics do skimp on certain additive packages.

Buying a brand's separate Semi-synth is a waste of money unless they have a sale making it as cheap or cheaper then regular dino oil. You are better off buying 5qts dino and 1qt synth and mixing your own. You would get a better ratio and pay less. However you still would have 84% dino so I would stick to dino change intervals. (3-5k depending on type of driving) Yes I know some brands (like Motorcraft) only sell weights in semi-synth. Normally these cost the same as comparable dino oils. Motorcraft, in this instance, is a good buy.

Full synth gives better protection at the extremes. Hard driving, towing, cold, heat, and increased change interval. A full synth lasts about twice as long as a dino. Considering you can get 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 for under $25 and factoring in the extra change interval it is really not much more then dino.

My typical change is 5qts Mobil 1 5W30 and 1qt synth Max-life 10W40.

before the trans blew on my 1997 saturn SC1, i always ran Mobil 1. It had 130k on it when i got it. at 170k i switched to Amsoil. right away the entire engine felt smoother, it started better, ran better, got better gas milage(went from 29 to 32MPG) When i got the contour i put it in and it was incredable. but i think its because i went from normal oil to Amsoil. But if you use the Amsoil and the special filter it will last 12 months or 25,000 miles and comes out cleaner than the mobil 1 came out after 5k.

I bet their marketing department just loves you and other folks with such sensitive butt dynos.

im just saying my personal experience. they guy aske about motor oil.. so i told him. ive had problems with standard oil.. when i switched to synthetic it seemed to be smoother and better running. IDK what you mean by my butt dyno, its pretty clear when a car is running smoother and you get better gas milage, you dont need a dyno. Also, when the oil come out clean after a year and the engine is smoother, its pretty obvious that its a good oil

When you say clean do you mean you sent it off for testing and it came back with cleaner numbers than the previous oil or did it simply look different? Color has little bearing on condition or oil life.

yeah dude... i obviously spent thousands of dollars to get motor oil tested. i sent it out to a necular testing site in the middle of antartica to make sure my oil was clean.

anyways... its pretty obvious when motoroil is dirty. when you put a light amber oil in your car and it comes out black, its pretty dirty. and when it come back a darke amber its fairly clean.

After i switched results: Motor oil became progressively lighter(getting the old crap outta the engine) when changed under the same conditions and miles. when i first started using it i spent quite a bit of money because i changes the oil every 6k. Did 4 oil changes at 6k(total 24,000 miles) after that i changed it a 10k. came out slightly darker then when i put it in as opposed to black. Again, the car ran smoother, started easier, got better gas milage.

i didnt simply say that its cleaner so its better. i acctually gave you legit results... now im giving it to you in a more explained version because you clearly dont understand.... sooo.... Im done with you

Anyway... whats my experience with the Amsoil motor oil. If you do end up going with them, you really need to use their special filter. with out their filter the oil wont last as long. the combo of the oil and the filter really is what makes it last as long as it does.

So how much exactly is this "Special filter" that lasts 12k miles... Dude you cant' be serious. Wow, that's all I have to say....:nonono:

yeah dude... i obviously spent thousands of dollars to get motor oil tested. i sent it out to a necular testing site in the middle of antartica to make sure my oil was clean.

anyways... its pretty obvious when motoroil is dirty. when you put a light amber oil in your car and it comes out black, its pretty dirty. and when it come back a darke amber its fairly clean.

i didnt simply say that its cleaner so its better. i acctually gave you legit results... now im giving it to you in a more explained version because you clearly dont understand.... sooo.... Im done with you

It costs like $20 to get a sample tested and Amsoil highly recommends you do so it kinda surprises me you didnt know it was so cheap or easy.

You would think that color is a good indicator, but you'd be wrong. All oils change colors at different times in their life, some get dark right away and some never really do. There are heavy duty oils that look black when they go in and look exactly the same when they come out but a used oil analysis would show they still had life left in them.

As far as "legit results" go, you havent provided any yet. You simply gave a pretty standard story that people give after they spend the extra money on Amsoil. A used oil analysis would have been the "legit" information you refer to. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad you're happy with your oil and I reccommend Amsoil to people looking for extended drain periods.

So how much exactly is this "Special filter" that lasts 12k miles... Dude you cant' be serious. Wow, that's all I have to say....:nonono:

Amsoil does make a great synthetic media filter that costs a little more but can go longer than others if you want to leave it on. But a standard oil filter will last 10,000 miles or more as well so its up to you on what you want to use. The Amsoil filter is over the top in terms of performance but so is their oil and some people will pay extra for that.

Back