• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Topshop hoods

Topshop hoods

Votes: 37 37.0%

Votes: 4 4.0%

Votes: 3 3.0%

Votes: 17 17.0%

Votes: 3 3.0%

Votes: 4 4.0%

Votes: 8 8.0%

Votes: 13 13.0%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 10 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sooo in for the NACA hood

Like top shop suggested it would be easiest to just make a seperate mold and those interested could add it on later.

Just need to make sure that top shop doesnt make the hood bulge toooooo big :cool:

I don't like the idea of paying $500 for a hood and then having to "cut it" and "glue" a duct in. People voted for the duct why not make it so? The "bulge" hood so to speak has only 10 votes while the duct has 37... I thought that would be clear enough evidence to show what the people want :shrug:

I suggest another poll before making people perform the stupid cut and glue act just to get a duct. Hell I could do that with the hood I have! Why would I want to pay $500 to do it??

if the duct was done properly it shouldnt be something that could be added because the hood itself should flow into the duct just like the picture not some cheap looking add on
MK_HoodTest.jpg

Last edited:
Thats one reason i was asking for the prototype. Just so everyone can see what it will look like. I don't necessarily like it, but I may after seeing a real hood

if the duct was done properly it shouldnt be something that could be added because the hood itself should flow into the duct just like the picture not some cheap looking add on
MK_HoodTest.jpg

Agreed.

#1 looks awesome as is. If I were to buy a hood, I would buy that one, but not if I then had to rely on my crappy DIY skills to add the vent..

I don't see why top shop couldn't do the add on vent for you, but whatever.

If it gets produced without the duct ill be in, I'm not trying to make my car look like a honda. I don't understand why people take a car that flows as smoothly as the contour does and try to break it up... Nascar trunk anyone? :barf:

Yeah...I agree... There would really be no performance benefit from a duct and it looks kinda weird. Unless you are running force induction...what would be the benefit of the duct? I like the slight cowl tho. Whenever I see that cf trunk I think of the old show Duck Tales. That show was cool and I miss it.

the benefit is for those running some type of hot air intake,i.e,kn ru3530. the intake temps would be drasitically reduced.

That really isn't a NACA duct.

Also, the design of that duct would put the entry of the duct at the very back or so of where the filter would be. Also there really isn't a ton of room for the filter as it is. Most of them end up rubbing hoods and stuff as it is. Just imagine what will happen when you make it 2" lower for a duct.

Not to mention that you'd be better off just getting a CAI that's in the fender well.

But what do i care, i don't have a contour any more, but if i did... and i may again, i'll never buy that hood with the duct.

Doubtful. It wont do much of anything noticeable for anyone.

I disagree. If you were to make an air box that would funnel the air correctly you should see a difference in intake manifold temperature. Hotter air derates your engine performance not to mention it effects things such as your engine operating temperature as well. I've personally seen 20degF differences in engine operating temperatures all because of a poor intake design. Going from 20degF over ambient to a 8degF over ambient inlet intake temp dropped the coolant temp by 20degF. Using the K&N style air filters on our cars they way people are you are, for the most part, sucking in hot air from the engine compartment with a little bit of cool air coming in from the factory air housing inlet. If we were to close off that area and open it up to a duct in the hood I guarantee you will see a difference.

That really isn't a NACA duct.

Also, the design of that duct would put the entry of the duct at the very back or so of where the filter would be. Also there really isn't a ton of room for the filter as it is. Most of them end up rubbing hoods and stuff as it is. Just imagine what will happen when you make it 2" lower for a duct.

Your right it is not a NACA duct. Also that picture isn't the "design" so to speak more of a graphical representation to give you an idea. I would hope the true design would put the opening in front of the air box location. Doing that would allow us to build an air box to work with it as I explained above. We would most likely have to move the battery to the trunk to accomplish it though. As you explained there is not much hood clearance as it is.

Last edited:
I disagree. If you were to make an air box that would funnel the air correctly you should see a difference in intake manifold temperature. Hotter air derates your engine performance not to mention it effects things such as your engine operating temperature as well. I've personally seen 20degF differences in engine operating temperatures all because of a poor intake design. Going from 20degF over ambient to a 8degF over ambient inlet intake temp dropped the coolant temp by 20degF. Using the K&N style air filters on our cars they way people are you are, for the most part, sucking in hot air from the engine compartment with a little bit of cool air coming in from the factory air housing inlet. If we were to close off that area and open it up to a duct in the hood I guarantee you will see a difference.

Colder air is better? wow... News to me. I never really had any motivation to build all those heatsheilds :laugh:.

Perhaps I should say, I'm not convinced that placing a scoop in that exact spot will 'ram' a significant amount of air into or onto the filter. If it did, you would then need to consider large debris, rain, snow, hail, whatever.

You would be better of as Barge has said using a fenderwell intake, open filter with an air box, or even allowing the larger hood bulge to vent the engine bay and bring down the ambient temperatures.

There are more effective, and physically 'attractive' ways to accomplish the goal of increasing performance through lowering intake temperatures. Adding gaudy air ducts is not that way.

I can't see all the pics but I would really like to see one that has 2" lift in the middle of the motor for the roots style blower I would buy enough along with everyone else to make a group buy and hopefully then keep the mould so I can supply the kit and hood as a combo option. I think it would be beneficial for everyone to try to make hood clearance so I can mate up a M90 ported for serious power adders which only requires one more inch taller than the M62 root blower let me know if you get this going I will be a big contributor are tell them I can contact them for orders Joey

I don't see why top shop couldn't do the add on vent for you, but whatever.

When i spoke to Tony from Topshop they didn't want to make two expensive molds. The way I see it though, if they did they would easily make their money back. There is obviously interest in both designs.

When i spoke to Tony from Topshop they didn't want to make two expensive molds. The way I see it though, if they did they would easily make their money back. There is obviously interest in both designs.

I think another poll is in order to determine that though not to mention a new post all together. The decision has been made (which I believe was the purpose of the original post) and there is a lot of clutter going on in this one.

I think another poll is in order to determine that though not to mention a new post all together. The decision has been made (which I believe was the purpose of the original post) and there is a lot of clutter going on in this one.

Ask and you shall receive. New poll open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back